Spyder Garage

Default About to purchase, also need advice

Like Panda, my confident days with a 2 wheeled tourer are becoming uncomfortable. I'm about to spring for one of the F3s, but am not sure which will fit my needs best. I'm coming from a Suzi 650 VStrom to a recent Honda NT700VA Deauville and now to the Spyder.

The supply of any F3 models in San Diego and 100 miles North, at least, is nada, none, zilch..
    Not sure how the rest of the country is stocked, but we have nothing but Rykers and RT Ltd models in the dealers. No F3s to check out and sit on.. Luckily I took the riders course about 4-5 years ago and remember loving the midsize F3, but the RTs not so much. Twas nice to ride them both. I suspect, unless I find a nice used model, I'll be pre-ordering a '22 in a month or so. Any dealer advice from SoCal would be welcome. My local Escondido Cycle Center has always been low key and is my current choice.

Now my dilemma. My personal aesthetic choice is to not have a factory rear trunk. I also prefer removable panniers, but am OK with the T model, to which I would add either a Shad 58X, or my
    Givi E46, which I currently have on my Deauville. I see my options to be the standard F3, the F3 Special and the F3T. I would love to hear some suggestions as to features that would work well, and not so well, for 1 up touring on the base F3 and F3 Special vs. the T model. I know that only the T has the additional air bladder, but wonder if it's really necessary for 1x210 pound rider and 50-70 pounds of gear. I also plan to do lots of local riding , including grocery shopping. I cook, therefore I shop..

For accessories, I use Garmins for navigation, and occasionally stream music from phone to the Sena headset in the helmet. Don't care about an entertainment system. I like the Shad pannier and top box setup for their volume, over the Slingmods 3 piece set. but do like the Slingmods price and extra lighting package. I assume I can add heated grips as needed (haven't looked into that). I'll need a windscreen, and I love the Madstadt idea. I'm a big fan of Madstadt screens. Floorboards would be nice, but don't see spending $400 for a set. Highway pegs yes.

If there are any differences or inadequacies in the base and S model vs the T, that would be important considerations for touring, either facts or opinions. I'd like to hear them. Is the load carrying capacity for the base and S great, or just adequate, and are their suspension remedies, if needed. I believe final gear rations are different on the T, lower ratio for lower cruising RPM. Is that an issue for the base and S, if max cruise speed is around 75, with 80 max. Is fuel mileage significantly different with the ratio differences.

That's a lot to throw out, but I hope there are others who've looked at this same choice of rides with the same questions and have found good answers.

Thanks from San Diego, (Ramona actually) CA
    MikeC

Spyder Garage

Here we go. I, too, had a VStrom 650 before I got into touring on a Honda ST1300 then a Spyder.
    I traded up from a 2013 STS (VTwin) to a 2017 F3T (Triple). I was originally looking for an F3S base model but couldn't pass the deal I got on the T. It turned out to be a wise choice for me.
    My 2017T has the larger rear sprocket. Which is the same as used on many F3S models. The same is not true for all years of F3Ts. It buzzes on the highway but cruises easily at 75 - 80 all day which is nowhere near the top end.
    Mileage is 35-40 mpg at 65-80 mph.
    The airbladder for the rear shock is nice for tuning the ride comfort. I run 35 - 50 psi that I set manually.
    I believe the front shocks are adjustable Sachs. For performance Elka and M2 shocks are available.
    By all means upgrade to a BajaRon sway bar and decent Tires for better handling.
    I use Garmin Zumo 396LMT-S for navigation and stream music from the GPS to my Sena headset in my helmet.
    I built a GPS mount for the center of the handle bars. The mirror positioning on the S is much better than the T.
    On the T the handle bars and my arms block the mirrors.
    The on the F3T saddle bags are a must for touring. I don't use a tail bag. The frunk is small, very small on all F3 models.
    When needed I can throw a duffle bag over the pillion seat.
    To mount a tail bag you will need a rack of which several are available from vendors on this site.
    The T comes with cruise control. It's also wired for fog lights and heated grips. Both are easily installed.
    I built my own fog lights using information from https://www.rattlebars.com/spyder/spyder.html#fogs
    There a 3 pre-wired accessory circuits available for farkles. I have the GPS, USB, and Cubby turn signals wired into one of the circuits.
    I use a 7Jurock custom windscreen which I ordered wider than the normal screen.
    Mounting the F3 was not comfortable for me as the pegs and stock floorboards are way forward of my bodies balance point.
    First I solved this issue by building a "Third Peg" as seen on Chet's page and on LaMonster videos on Youtube. Easy, effective and inexpensive.
    When I could afford I upgraded to the Ultimate Floorboards. They are the best investment I have made for comfort and safety.
    Later this month I will be adding a Cat Delete, Driver Backrest, and K&W Air Filter.
    There are Stage 1 & 2 tunes available that really wake up this 3 cylinder machine. So far I am happy with the stock tune.
    Good Luck on your quest.
    David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I Motorsports vendor on home page; Will deliver to your door, seems to have some.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/spyders....php?zoneid=27

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I Motorsports vendor on home page; Will deliver to your door, seems to have some.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/spyders....php?zoneid=27
    That's where I got my 2016 F3T. I purchased it as a leftover in April 2017. Great deal and delivery was a breeze.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have bought 2 Spyders from imotorsports in Illinois. Both times I also had a trade. When they deliver your new Spyder they will pick up your trade at the same time. Easy peasy.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I have bought 2 Spyders from imotorsports in Illinois. Both times I also had a trade. When they deliver your new Spyder they will pick up your trade at the same time. Easy peasy.
    Me too. Also have purchased two F3L's from them. Both times had trades. Both delivered to my door, and I felt I got a fair deal both times.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was talking to Tim at iMotorsports and he can't get stock from Can am. He only had one black F3 limited in dark, was not my favorite. So if you are interested in a bike better act now. He is what he sent me "Can't get enough units in order to discount them.The only ones we are discounting are the 2021 chrome rts"
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Default Found one that looks good..

So I've found a 2015 F3S about 600 miles away. Asking price of $12,500 and 18K miles. I've just emailed the owner to ask about condition.
    I'd like to know what changes have been made from the '15 model to current itteration. I don't think many, but would certainly like
    to understand what I'd be getting vs. a newer version..
    2015F3S.jpg