Spyder Garage

Default extension on back of gear shift button

I watched a video which showed a Spyder with what looked like an extended piece, like a short tube, on the back of the gear shift button, which would make downshifting less awkward that having to reach behind the stock button to push it forward. Does anyone know where I could order such a device?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I watched a video which showed a Spyder with what looked like an extended piece, like a short tube, on the back of the gear shift button, which would make downshifting less awkward that having to reach behind the stock button to push it forward. Does anyone know where I could order such a device?
    I designed and sold a leather covered extension that was ergonomically shaped and would be attached to the paddle on SE spyders ..... I have pics in one of my Albums ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Unless one is missing a digit or two, what is awkward about upshifting with the left thumb that hangs down from the back side of the left grip and downshifting with the left index finger that hangs down the front side of the left grip. What am I missing even though I have all ten digits?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Unless one is missing a digit or two, what is awkward about upshifting with the left thumb that hangs down from the back side of the left grip and downshifting with the left index finger that hangs down the front side of the left grip. What am I missing even though I have all ten digits?
    The reason I created my " extension " ( which is actually a raised pad) was for folks with short THUMB .... I didn't consider using it for Down-shifting only Up-shifting .... I have small hands and it helped me .... It has helped many others ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I can reach the back of the “+” button for downshifting, but it is not as comfortable as it would be if the button extended further to the back, I.e., thicker or with an extension. Paddle shifters, with the downshift paddle set up for the opposite hand would have been even better.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

IRT Mike and vito, I guess I've just lived with my digits, which are rather long, for so many years it prompted my comment about awkward. My apologies, absolutely no insult intended.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting issues

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I can reach the back of the “+” button for downshifting, but it is not as comfortable as it would be if the button extended further to the back, I.e., thicker or with an extension. Paddle shifters, with the downshift paddle set up for the opposite hand would have been even better.
    Unless your SE shifting mechanism is radically different than the 10 thru 18 RT's which Don't have Buttons ( they have TWO separate Levers ) I think you are missing ( ie broke off ) the downshift LEVER ../.. if you can post a pic it would be very helpful. ......thanks ..Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I am missing most of my left hand index finger and thinking about making an extension for the down shift although I don't use it very much. (don't argue with a horse, a rope and a trailer divider. I lost)
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is comfortable to me but my wife rides the Spyder mostly & says she wishes the levers were longer
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

I was going to post a question and then saw this thread. My question was can the bar controls be twisted? I've had bikes that could be adjusted and others that had a locator pin. One could cut the pin off if he was of the determined type?
    I do have a partially amputated left thumb. Table saws make quick work of flesh and bones. I'm able to shift but do need to rotate my wrist down more then I would like.
    Mike, do you still have the extension pads you spoke about? I would be interested.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    I am missing most of my left hand index finger and thinking about making an extension for the down shift although I don't use it very much. (don't argue with a horse, a rope and a trailer divider. I lost)
    Thanks for the explanation. It sure clears things up and makes it perfectly understandable why you're looking for a solution. Maybe I can think one up!

BTW, about the user name change you mentioned above. Contact an admin via the link at the bottom of the page. They can change all your posts to the user name you want.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)