Spyder Garage

Default Is a Motorcycle License Needed to drive a Spyder?

Hello I live in BC Canada and do you need a motorcycle license to drive a Spyder? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Varys per government & here in US even Per State, having does help open for more travel with less worry or hassle like another skill set. Some location even required a special 3wheel version

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by julie1877 View Post
    Hello I live in BC Canada and do you need a motorcycle license to drive a Spyder? Thanks!
    Yes, you do.....if you take your test on a spyder, you will be restricted to ONLY three wheels, whereas if you test on a 2 wheeler, you’re allowed to ride either 2 or 3 wheels!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Same here in Utah. 2 wheeler endorsement covers 2 and 3 wheels, 3 wheel endorsement covers just 3 wheels. Both are endorsements to a car license.

Not all 3 wheeler vehicles require such a 3 wheel endorsement though. Vanderhalls and other car like vehicles seem to only need a car license. Where the line is drawn between the two I'm not quite sure.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

VA has separate endorsements for 2 and 3 wheelers. So if you take the test for 2, that's all you can ride. Same with 3. Two separate classes/exams for both. Unless you are an old timer like me and the endorsement only says "M".
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Same here in Utah. 2 wheeler endorsement covers 2 and 3 wheels, 3 wheel endorsement covers just 3 wheels. Both are endorsements to a car license.

Not all 3 wheeler vehicles require such a 3 wheel endorsement though. Vanderhalls and other car like vehicles seem to only need a car license. Where the line is drawn between the two I'm not quite sure.
    I think it's steering wheel verse handle bars.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I think it's steering wheel verse handle bars.
    Plus straddle seating vs side by side seating.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by julie1877 View Post
    This thread has gone a bit off original topic, but to reiterate, YES in British Columbia a class 6 (motorcycle license) is required, and if all you will ever want is for riding 3 wheels (Spyder) then get the 3 wheel endorsement. Your local Government Agents office can fill you in with all of the details. Hope this helps you. Let us know what you decide, please.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The state of California does NOT consider the Spyder or any other 3 wheeled vehicle a motorcycle,
    they are classed as an AUTOCYCLE. This includes trikes with 2 wheels in the back; 2 wheels in the front; or a side car rig.
    NONE of them require a motorcycle lic. to ride them, your regular drivers lic. is all you need. Also you can travel out of state
    with one and your license is still valid and accepted to operate it even if that state requires a motorcycle license.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2021 at 01:05 AM. Reason: weels = wheels?? ;-)

Spyder Garage

Probably "too much information" here on the actual topic, but Just our experience in 2014.
    After NOT Knowing of the 3 wheel endorsement requirement in WA, until a NAPA person asked me where to take the test for the endorsement, and me saying you don't need one per my dealer who looked at my current MC license, I found out I was wrong (not the first time, but you know .......) I had to scramble and find a class in 1 week, because we wanted to leave on a 2 week trip as soon as possible (I already had 700 miles on the new Spyder).

Found 2 day class 50 miles away, and did this over the weekend (traveling back and forth in car), before leaving on our first 2 week trip ever in late 2014.
    WA state requires a 2 wheel motorcycle license to start with (which I had for years), and then this additional special 3 wheel training class.
    For most that means spending 2 days "somewhere" for the special training session for the 3 wheeler. Class fee was around $300 as I recall. Getting to and from location is on you.
    Class was not specific to Spyder, and actually one of the "how to" training activities couldn't be done with a Spyder (as I demonstrated for them, and they "waved the requirement").
    As I remember it had to do with start out in first gear and at 20 MPH shift to 2nd gear and accelerate to 40 MPH and stop quickly from there. Computer won't allow shifting up at that slow speed

Nuff said. Got the endorsement and took our first "REAL FUN" trip
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The state of California does NOT consider the Spyder or any other 3 wheeled vehicle a motorcycle,
    they are classed as an AUTOCYCLE. This includes trikes with 2 wheels in the back; 2 wheels in the front; or a side car rig.
    NONE of them require a motorcycle lic. to ride them, your regular drivers lic. is all you need. Also you can travel out of state
    with one and your license is still valid and accepted to operate it even if that state requires a motorcycle license.
    I just bought a 21 Spyder F3 and my DMV registration and pink slip both say motorcycle. 2 wheeled motorcycles require M1 license. 3 wheeled only requires car license.

Here is the link from CA DMV. https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-serv...milar-vehicles