Thread: Howling Noise

Spyder Garage

Default Howling Noise

hi to you all from down under, I have a 2016 F3 limited. It has 15000 miles and is not ridden hard. At about 40-44 mph i get a howling noise from under the tank region belt engine area 4th fifth or top gear .I have have been told this is probably a harmonic distortion between the drive belt and the cog wheel. Has any one else experienced this and if so what is the fix. Looking forward to a reply

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard Aussiegordo,

It more than likely is the belt.

I get the same thing at about 90kph (about 55mph) and drive through it. It's not good to have that happening and is hard on the bike. The speed at which it happens is related to how tight your belt, it's length etc but they are all around the same speed. You can get belt tensioners as a 3rd party add on... I believe Lamonster sells them. Just try not to drive prolonged at that speed where the resonate frequency is the worst.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Also Look at the front pully, there's been a lotta buzz, bout this, there's a fix from BRP, My Spyder F3s, does this @70 Km/h, but it goes away @72 Km/h, so it's not bothering me.
    Front pully is most likely the cause for the whining noise, Spyders aren't the quietest ones...

Look for red dust on the front sprocket, that will tell you, you need to put on new sprocket.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Spyder Garage

I had a loud howling at about 54 mph on my 2020 RT. Took it in for its 3000 mile check and they realigned the belt. Most of the noise is now gone. It is down in the acceptable range.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

thanks for the input

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegordo View Post
    hi to you all from down under, I have a 2016 F3 limited. It has 15000 miles and is not ridden hard. At about 40-44 mph i get a howling noise from under the tank region belt engine area 4th fifth or top gear .I have have been told this is probably a harmonic distortion between the drive belt and the cog wheel. Has any one else experienced this and if so what is the fix. Looking forward to a reply
    I had the howling at 52-54 on my 2020RT. Took it back to the dealer and he re-aligned the belt and most of the whining disappeared.
    2020 RT , Chalk White