Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

According to the Cheap Cycle Parts web site this morning they have the part in stock, cost $60.99.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    According to the Cheap Cycle Parts web site this morning they have the part in stock, cost $60.99.
    I ordered one from cheap cycle parts just now for a friend, hope someone can instruct how to install.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ...Seems these failures are becoming more common on certain year machines.
    I may be all wet on this, but it might be possible that failures being heard of/experienced are the result of individual production lot manufacturing problems. As with the DESS module which allegedly couldn't be tested on the production line, the same may apply to the CAPS. The DESS one could more easily see because that unit is tied to an individual chipped key; however, with the CAPS, adding a testing system to the sensor production line when the production specs for it have already been established might have added a cost that Rotax/BRP was unwilling to accept.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Mine failed on our 2015 ST and I found the replacement at Partzilla (74-420664049), but that was Sept 2020.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    I ordered one from cheap cycle parts just now for a friend, hope someone can instruct how to install.
    Just got an email from cheapcycleparts.com, the sensor is on back order/expected 01/31/2022

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Caps

Quote Originally Posted by thereverend View Post
    What year and model is this Spyder?
    How many miles are on the Spyder?

Just trying to get the full information.
    So moving forward, I would have a better
    understanding of when I might have a
    possible problem. ..

I hope that this is not a normal.
    Time will tell. ..
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

it"s a 2017 RT with 9000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I may be all wet on this, but it might be possible that failures being heard of/experienced are the result of individual production lot manufacturing problems. As with the DESS module which allegedly couldn't be tested on the production line, the same may apply to the CAPS. The DESS one could more easily see because that unit is tied to an individual chipped key; however, with the CAPS, adding a testing system to the sensor production line when the production specs for it have already been established might have added a cost that Rotax/BRP was unwilling to accept.
    Myself, avoiding speculation and rumors will let you chase your idea down that rabbit hole.
    All the best with it.
    I will speculate that this not not a BRP or Rotax manufactured component, more likely it is made by Bosch and they are at fault. Similar to how auto manufacturers got drug in by Takata airbags.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Myself, avoiding speculation and rumors will let you chase your idea down that rabbit hole.
    All the best with it.
    I will speculate that this not not a BRP or Rotax manufactured component, more likely it is made by Bosch and they are at fault. Similar to how auto manufacturers got drug in by Takata airbags.
    +1
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back to the original question re potential repair:

There are optical (such as Martek 440 used to replace dual points on my 1976 Honda CB750F) no longer common, hall-effect and magnetic coil sensors (also know as variable reluctance or magnetic pulse generators) for cam and crank position applications.

On Sportsters, the 2 wire magnetic is the most durable but not as clean a signal as the 3 wire hall-effect on Dynas.

Potential for failure is all related to heat (most are rated -40F to 300 F), which affects potting compound, coil insulation and properties of a permanent magnet.

It would be extremely difficult to remove potting compound, rewire a coil and/or replace a permanent magnet.

Just my 2 cents
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Regarding JayBros suggestion about testing: The automation company that I retired from designed and built many automotive sensor production lines, both engine and brake sensors. All were tested, some not only ambient at also cold and hot. But proper resistance readings at the time of manufacture do not guarantee durability of cps or cpk sensors. That will be affected by the quality of the potting compound, the quality and thickness of the magnet wire insulation which is typically varnish and the quality of the permanent magnet.

Also affecting the sensor life is the maximum temperature of the sensor mounting location.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

My Cam Postion Sensor was throwing codes all over the place and then I noticed some oil residue around the unit. Before tackling the job of pulling the pulley wheel for access to the CPS I doused the switch with brake cleaner. It has worked perfectly ever since. It's worth a try ! Just sayin' --------

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Terraplane8Bob View Post
    Before tackling the job of pulling the pulley wheel for access to the CPS
    Just a note here, The Cam Position sensor is on the side behind the oil filter, Not on the belt pulley side.
    It looks like there maybe a blow-by issue from the crankcase and not oil from the filter change.

Update. sensor found at a Canadian dealer in previous post above , was delivered to MN today, cost was $90 delivered

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 12-27-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    Just a note here, The Cam Position sensor is on the side behind the oil filter, Not on the belt pulley side.

My thanks to T.P. for alerting me to my error! I mentioned spraying the "cam position sensor" when in fact I meant to say "the gear position [angle] sensor"! I hope my "Geezer" slip didn't send anyone off on a wild goose chase by pulling off their drive pulley's! OK --- Time to go take my medication!! Cheers!! Bob
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display; ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Cam Position Sensor update as of today. The new BRP part # is 420664046, I have 1 extra with a mfg date of 13/01/2022 that I will list for sale.

IMG_2759.jpgIMG_2760.jpg

This is the sensor for fixing the PO340 limp code

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 01-30-2022 at 11:10 AM. Reason: ADDED PHOTO

Spyder Garage

You can sure tell that everyones Spyders are put away for the Winter, no new PO340 limp issues being reported.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

You can sure tell that everyones Spyders are put away for the Winter, no new PO340 limp issues being reported.

T.P.
    Actually, gorgeous weather, sunny and 80*, just minimal time to ride the Spyder with so many other motorcycle things happening. Spyder just pretty much sits in the garage, in the way. Oh well.

Spyder Garage

As of today I have updated my ad for the extra Cam Position sensor that I had,

SOLD to Jim Evans

T.P.
    Last edited by T.P.; 03-31-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default black cap, or design change

I received my part today, but the sensor is black rather than silver. Is it a cap over the sensor?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TraderHolmes View Post
    I received my part today, but the sensor is black rather than silver. Is it a cap over the sensor?
    See my post #40, part#420664046 is all black
    '
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

I got it replaced, and wrapped some electrical tape around the connection to keep oil out. Cleaned the old one with throttle body cleaner so I have a backup.
    Last edited by TraderHolmes; 06-03-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Cam Position Sensor update as of today. The new BRP part # is 420664046, I have 1 extra with a mfg date of 13/01/2022 that I will list for sale.

IMG_2759.jpgIMG_2760.jpg

This is the sensor for fixing the PO340 limp code

T.P.
    And if you look closely at the OE vs the updated replacement, the replacement is a one-piece unit where the OE is a metal component pressed into the Bakelite body... This is where mine had oil intrusion from as it gets past the press point and into the sensor body... Mine had oil all the way out to the connector!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

As the OP I thought I would let everyone know that my sensor finally arrived in March. However, my old sensor stopped sending me the limp home codes. Don't know why. So now I have a spare. I never missed a ride though because the performance was never affected. Oh well.
    2017 RT-S. Bone Stock!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy KC View Post
    As the OP I thought I would let everyone know that my sensor finally arrived in March. However, my old sensor stopped sending me the limp home codes. Don't know why. So now I have a spare. I never missed a ride though because the performance was never affected. Oh well.
    I had NO idea that mine was causing a prob either, until one day, there I was zipping along at, well, let's just say it was AT LEAST the speed limit... ;-) I looked down for a time check and saw LIMP MODE scrolling. Yet, I am WAAAAY past the Limp Mode speed limit! Anyway, the bike runs PHENOMINALLY better with the new sensor! It pulls to redline faster and throttle response is greater than on the old one... Replace your sensor, you may just be surprised! ;-) It is literally a 10min job!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy KC View Post
    Over the years of owning three Spyders I have learned that the computer systems they use " over-lap " each other .... so the warning it flashes isn't necessarily real (?) ..... My G 08 GS very often would light-up like a Christmas tree - BUT would respond as if there were no warnings flashing .... go figure ..... JMHO .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-05-2022 at 09:22 PM.