Spyder Garage

Default Can anyone tell me what this cable goes to?

Was in my frunk on my 2013 spyder RT when i bought it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Is not a USB

It is not a usb. There is 3 pins on each side that are flat. One side is round and the other square.

Spyder Garage

That sorta looks like the Apple accessory adaptor cable that should've come with your Spyder when new, but many were never used & so got lost. Still, I'd guess that's what it is.

It's probably not a great deal of use to you now, not unless you've got some really old Apple devices, cos most of the newer gear uses different connectors, the latest being the lightning connectors (??) & not those round jobbies or the flat connector on the other end. There should be a port/connection/outlet to accept the round end of that lead in the front Right Hand corner of your RT's trunk (the back trunk that is, not the front trunk - the front trunk is more commonly called the frunk! ) that many have either ignored completely, while some have converted that outlet to something more useful. The front Left Hand corner of the trunk should have a cigarette lighter style power outlet.

Over to you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Is an odd connector, the round side looks like the serial port Pete describes for AUX media input. Some had the apple 30pin anoth had a headphone 3.5mm jack.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Looks like an old VGA or Sony camcorder connector. If it has 3 pins on the round side and a square end with an angle in the one corner than that is it.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Here is one way to find out. Throw, give, or hide it away. Then the need for it will arise.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

In the square end, there is 3 pins that are like a usb and on the round side there is 7 pins.

Spyder Garage

Maybe dealer or some electronic shop may know about square 3pin the round 7pin should have port on bike either trunk or frunk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

As I said earlier, it's an attachment lead for the plugs in the trunk of your RT that should allow you to charge &/or control the sound output from your device via the dash & mode button, but it's old school & superceded now! So if you don't have anything that has a plug to connect with the old style square end, then it's effectively useless to you. . There might have been another curly lead like yours, cos the leads I have left out of those that came with my 2013 RT are slightly different to yours (see below), but that square end on the lead you have I believe went out of common usage back sometime around 2013.... probably best just to put it away somewhere & forget it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-11-2021 at 03:18 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr62Buick View Post
    In the square end, there is 3 pins that are like a usb and on the round side there is 7 pins.
    I'm guessing it is a cable for some oddball audio device. The 3 pins indicate to me Left, Right, and Ground of a stereo cable. The 7 pin round connector is a common DIN connector, which even though it has 7 pins, only three would be used.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I know! It’s garbage! Pitch it.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I know! It’s garbage! Pitch it.

That's probably the best option. Or, you can do what I do. Put it in a plastic bag and stuff it in a drawer with all the other unknown cables for future use.....? Who knows. Maybe sometime in the future it may "come back". After all, vinyl records did..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    As I said earlier, it's an attachment lead for the plugs in the trunk of your RT that should allow you to charge &/or control the sound output from your device via the dash & mode button, but it's old school & superceded now! So if you don't have anything that has a plug to connect with the old style square end, then it's effectively useless to you. . There might have been another curly lead like yours, cos the leads I have left out of those that came with my 2013 RT are slightly different to yours (see below), but that square end on the lead you have I believe went out of common usage back sometime around 2013.... probably best just to put it away somewhere & forget it.
    G"day Peter

I am after a Ipod connector like the 2nd one in your first photo. Any idea where I can get one. (I have a 2014RTs).

Cheers and beers
    Frank

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    G"day Peter

I am after a Ipod connector like the 2nd one in your first photo. Any idea where I can get one. (I have a 2014RTs).

Cheers and beers
    Frank
    Unless you can find someone who still has theirs & isn't using it, I'm not sure where you'd get one in Oz Frank?!? . Due to the round BRP Connector on the other end, I'm not really sure they were used by anyone/anything else; they may have been BRP/CanAm special, so maybe check with any/all the dealers you can contact to see if they have one sculling around somewhere; or start asking around the owners of that 2013-14 or so vintage Spyders?!? You could ask on OzSpyderRyders maybe??

My Daughter would kill me if I gave away mine, she has an old apple/iPod thingy that it connects to which she insists I plug in every time she comes for a ryde - and as good as some of the music is for other places/times, when I'm ryding I personally can't really understand the need for any music besides the exhaust note, but hey.... it keeps her happy!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    G"day Peter

Cheers and beers
    Frank
    If you are unsuccessful in finding a cable. One can be made. The 7 pin DIN connector will not be hard to find. I bought some years ago from Aliexpress. Apple cables are every where. Cut the USB end off. Solder to the DIN connector. Someone years ago posted the pinout.

PS Thinking about it some more. It may be hard to find an Apple cable with the right wires in it. USB has 2 wires for power and 2 for communication. But the cable to connect to the Spyder also needs 3 wires for audio.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr62Buick View Post
    Was in my frunk on my 2013 spyder RT when i bought it..
    That cable does not look like it belongs to a Spyder. I'm not 100 percent sure but it looks like a cable to go from an old camcorder to a Firewire connector, decades old video tech. Hang it in your garage as a trophy.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White