Spyder Garage

Default The cost to have a parking brake lock install on my Ryker?

I seen a video how put a parking brake lock on a ryker, looks easy. My problem is I don't have the tools I need to do the job myself.If I buy just the drill I need it probably will cost as much as it would cost me to pay to have it done.

Spyder Garage

Oh I don't know about that. Drills are not that much. You can also buy the complete assembly, no drilling just take off the old piece and screw on the new one.

Spyder Garage

If you do it yourself, use a step drill. It will make a much better job. A set of 3 under 15$ on Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    If you do it yourself, use a step drill. It will make a much better job. A set of 3 under 15$ on Amazon.
    Thanks I seen a set in Auto Zone can't remember the price off hand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz1 View Post
    I seen a video how put a parking brake lock on a ryker, looks easy. My problem is I don't have the tools I need to do the job myself.If I buy just the drill I need it probably will cost as much as it would cost me to pay to have it done.
    I bought my step drill on Amazon. It was cheap enough that I bought a set of 3 sizes for the same price I would have paid at a local hardware store for one size.
    Sure it's probably a lesser quality but it's being used for plastic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    That looks like my set. Plus it came in a nice storage case.

Spyder Garage

And once you pay for the tools you have them. And you will find lots of uses for them now that you have them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hell, I bought the full kit (with the already drilled cover) but ended up using the existing (undrilled) cover and drilling it out with the step drill.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spygoat View Post
    Hell, I bought the full kit (with the already drilled cover) but ended up using the existing (undrilled) cover and drilling it out with the step drill.
    AGREE, I drilled mine out, w/a step drill, 'cause I read somewhere here(?) that the kit is not all that easy to install.

Spyder Garage

I was installing something on my car back when I was in college. I decided to buy the drill because the price would work out the same but then I would have a drill. 30 plus years later I still use the drill.

Spyder Garage

Step drills work better on plastic then standard drill bits in the larger size holes. Standard drill bits, once they break through, will pull themselves through and make a lousy hole.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz1 View Post
    I seen a video how put a parking brake lock on a ryker, looks easy. My problem is I don't have the tools I need to do the job myself. If I buy just the drill I need it probably will cost as much as it would cost me to pay to have it done.
    The parking brake mod is probably one of, if not the easiest mod you can do on your Ryker. As others have suggested buy the step drill bit/drill off of Amazon. The whole job should probably take you 10 minutes tops. The cover that's already on your bike is plastic so it's pretty flexible. You don't need to completely remove it, just loosen it enough to pull up slightly. The pre-drilled kit you can buy on line is kind of a pain in the neck to put on. Much simpler to just drill the hole yourself.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    The parking brake mod is probably one of, if not the easiest mod you can do on your Ryker. As others have suggested buy the step drill bit/drill off of Amazon. The whole job should probably take you 10 minutes tops. The cover that's already on your bike is plastic so it's pretty flexible. You don't need to completely remove it, just loosen it enough to pull up slightly. The pre-drilled kit you can buy on line is kind of a pain in the neck to put on. Much simpler to just drill the hole yourself.
    That's exactly why I used the step drill. I have the drilled cover that came with the kit, but did not want to remove the body to get to the last bolt on the stock undrilled cover. Just undid the bottom bolt, pulled it up and drilled it out. No issues, 5 minutes later we had a parking brake lock.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spygoat View Post
    That's exactly why I used the step drill. I have the drilled cover that came with the kit, but did not want to remove the body to get to the last bolt on the stock undrilled cover. Just undid the bottom bolt, pulled it up and drilled it out. No issues, 5 minutes later we had a parking brake lock.
    Yup, that's exactly how I did it too. Plus at the end of the day I had a cordless drill and three different sized step bits. Win, Win, Chicken Dinner.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I had the oem parking brake installed when I bought the bike and I think you can look at can ams website for the exact instructions.

Spyder Garage

I simply bought a kryptonite lock that I used on the front disc of my Harleys. Now I use it on the rear disc of my RT. It also has a nice long red cord that will reach the hand grip so I don’t drive off without removing it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2021 at 08:34 AM. Reason: desk = disc ;-)