Spyder Garage

Default Looking at buying an older (2008-13) Spyder

Hey all,
    I' looking at buying a used Spyder in the near future. I'v ridden Urals and Triumphs. I'm just looking at used ones right now, any years I should stay away from...why? What should I watch out for in older Spyders? What's a good price range? What is the learning curve like? How hard is it to put bags on an RS (S)?

So many questions...

Spyder Garage

Go do a test ride at dealer & get a good feel how different they handle first. Usual learning (comfort with machine more than learning) curve around 5k miles or so depending on mentality. Also please read the Do& Donts thread for helpful information.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners
    Understanding is:
    Older ones have the (discontinued)998 V-twin with higher RPM, does add to the curve. Especially for shifting. Also eats little oil normal operation.
    Limiteds supposed have the *extras: chrome, *heated grips, floorboards, SE5 tranny, *Garmin 660GPS, *radio; *cruise control; *color matching removable Givi hard saddle bags.
    (*Some do vary*) there are also some broad changes in rim tire size; brake calipers; SE5tranny filter; headlights; dash (BRP Connect)
    What I have in notes:
    Rims, 08 thru 12 have 14"
    13 thru now have 15";
    have Brembo brakes & SE5’s have new longer tranny filter., Battery location moved (not sure if all models) from under seat to behind Frunk.
    13 prior some models could fit the rear sports rack for passenger back rest & optional top case additional storage &$$$$.
    Maintenance records a big plus. Hopefully meeting requirements.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 SE6 for sale that is in great shape, with just shy of 11,000 miles on it. If you would be interested PM me.

Peter

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT SE5 with 6000 miles on it I bought in May with 4300 miles on it not for my taste you can email me gsmurrf@yahoo.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Happy shopping. Make sure all updates (BRP) have been done.

Spyder Garage

Some advice- buy one that is less than 10 years old if you don’t DIY. I purchased an 08 GS for a low buyin thinking I’ll use the savings to fix whatever might come up down the road. What I didn’t count on was having both of my local dealers refusing to work on it because it was over 10 years old. I had to have it towed to a dealer over an hour away where they quoted me a $3500 VSS module fix (including the tow). I sold on the tech rack to the dealer for $1k to just get rid of it; thinking I was too close the surpassing the total value of the vehicle if I went ahead with the fix. Previous routine maintenance trips to the dealer were also dicey as the younger techs were not familiar with the older 990cc engine. The Can-Am purchase was an experiment to see if I liked the concept. I think I’ll wait for someone to come up with a tilting version before I consider again. For now the MP3 has my interest until I purchase a Honda dct next year.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Great info and food for thought. I'll reach out to my local CAN-AM dealer and see what they work on

Spyder Garage

If your going to the older models to try to save money, and you don't want to work on it, I would rethink your idea!! Like said above there comes a limit where the company will stop making parts for older stuff, so if you are interested in the Can-am I would decide just how deep your pockets can go, and get the most bang for your dollar towards the most newest model year you can get to!! They are a fun machine, but being a machine they will break, so keep that in mine! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would stay away from 2011s or earlier. Get a three cyl. vs two.....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.