Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Just scheduled my first oil change

I've had the Spyder for two months now and I'm just about at 3,000 miles. So I scheduled this service with the dealer. They said this first service is about $200, and i think its likely it will be my last maintenance visit to the dealer. Nothing has gone wrong, so BRP is not yet having to make good on the warranty.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I've had the Spyder for two months now and I'm just about at 3,000 miles. So I scheduled this service with the dealer. They said this first service is about $200, and i think its likely it will be my last maintenance visit to the dealer. Nothing has gone wrong, so BRP is not yet having to make good on the warranty.
    .... I bought my 14 RT new .... it has NEVER been serviced by a Dealer .... I have had a bit of warranty work done ( the DESS module ). but I just kept receipts and records for what services I completed ...... and I'm glad I did it this ....WHY , because I did it have the side bag cables adjusted at a dealer. ... They didn't do a good job because I had to have it done again .... this time I did it and discovered TWO of the large attachment tabs were discovered to have been Mysteriously BROKEN .... this was done at the Stealer and it was too late to make a complaint .....JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    A good idea to have the dealer look at your Spyder for that first scheduled service if you are not up to changing oil, filter, etc. $200 quote is very reasonable. Most dealers charge $350 or so for that service.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had the dealership do the 3K service on my Spyder in January 2015 and the price was $255 and change so your dealer quote, if they stick to it, is very reasonable IMO. Were I in your boots I would want them to tell me exactly how much oil they put in it after the oil and filter change. I also would check the tire pressure and make sure the front and rear both are what you've settled on running.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That's very reasonable considering the oil/filter 'kit' is ~$50-75 alone.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

That's a deal. I think the oil change kit from BRP is more than $100. My local dealer charges more than $350.

https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...30-engine.html

Spyder Garage

Filter and seals from BajaRon $13.95, Rotella 5W40 oil ~$35 for six quarts. Time on the garage floor - priceless!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Bingo, scrape some knuckles and get down and dirty.

Spyder Garage

With my back, and two bad shoulders, getting down on the garage floor is a nightmare. And fortunately I can afford to have someone else do the work for me.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I am getting my 3k service next month. I wanted the dealer to do the first service. Maxim Power Sports told me it's $200 + the oil kit, which is $120.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dealer does more than just change the oil. They do a 50 point check and can find loose or other problems which get fixed under warranty. I always let the dealer do the first service and a once over every year. I paid just under $400 for it all. Oil, filter, and everything.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First oil change

MY first engine oil service done MY Local Dealer. Why???

Because I wanted them to check out my Spyder and give me the best report. The service costs were, $350.00 + tax.

I now understand what is needed to change and replace my oil and filter. This Forum will help you. ......

I have the knowledge and tools to do my service work on my own.
    Part costs are $70.00 for the oil I use. $35.78 for the parts.
    So $105.78 and no labor.

It takes me about 2 hours of my time. Oil change and I have an inspection list I will do.

Soooooo....
    IF YOU have the skills to do your own work, then you can save about $244.00 per service.
    I know that some of you Spyder Forum Ryders can not do this and need help.
    My Tip for you is to work with your Spyder Dealer and have them perform the oil & filter service
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Got a question about first year ownership and low mileage/oil change. I purchased my Spyder 2020 RT in February. I only have 1300 miles on it. Unfortunately I don't have time to ride more or even meet up with local Spyder owners :-( I live in Southern Illinois and it is always garage kept. Can I wait until 3000 to change oil first service or do I really need to get it done early before Winter? If it will be fine until 3000 and rest over the winter with Stabil in the tank that is what I PREFER to do. That is what I did with my Honda Shadow Phantom.

thanks.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Your Choice

Welcome, it's your choice, your Spyder.

That being said, "If this was my Spyder I would do the service work next year".

Be Safe and Enjoy your Ryde Time. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The dealer does more than just change the oil. They do a 50 point check and can find loose or other problems which get fixed under warranty. I always let the dealer do the first service and a once over every year. I pair just under $400 for it all. Oil, filter, and everything.
    Yep. That's what they tell you they do. I've NEVER known a dealer's mechanic that actually does all those things. Your mileage may vary.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Total bill for this first service was $237. From the comments here, this seems very reasonable.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    That's very reasonable considering the oil/filter 'kit' is ~$50-75 alone.
    Wow I got ripped off. I paid $130 for a oil change kit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget to have them sign off in your owners' manual. That's your confirmation that an oil/filter change and safety check was performed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Got a question about first year ownership and low mileage/oil change. I purchased my Spyder 2020 RT in February. I only have 1300 miles on it. Unfortunately I don't have time to ride more or even meet up with local Spyder owners :-( I live in Southern Illinois and it is always garage kept. Can I wait until 3000 to change oil first service or do I really need to get it done early before Winter? If it will be fine until 3000 and rest over the winter with Stabil in the tank that is what I PREFER to do. That is what I did with my Honda Shadow Phantom.

thanks.

Steve

~~~if I were you I’d wait until 12months pass, then do the oil change. I’m politely saying RTFM. if you do (read the fine manual) it says to change the oil, not only the first time, but every 12months, if you fail to meet the requisite mileage (according to the manual, when to change the oil after you’ve reached the stated mileage)

IOW, the 1st oil change is said to be done when you reach 3K miles, but in your situation, you wont reach 3 K miles within a year’s time. So, according to the powers that be (BRP), if you dont reach 3K miles within 12 months, change the oil & oil filter after 12 months goes by

Some here will change their motor oil and engine oil filter before the onslaught of winter. That’s where you are wondering if you should follow suit, so to speak. As Eric Clapton said “do what you like”

Again, if it were me, I’d wait until 12 months go by. Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s kind of like when my doctor asks me how much i drink. Overe what time period? It’s not unheard for me to drink 6-12 beers in an evening, but that usually also means that I drank 6-12 beers for the weekend, 6-12 beers for the week, and probably 6-12 beers for the month. So the answer is 6-12 beers, but if you interpret one way, I’m an alcoholic, and if you interpret the other, I really should drink more- S Bream, Binge Drinker
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I feel that having the dealership do your first service is a great idea! They do have a checklist they follow plus use BUDS to check for any issues! You can always have them use your oil/filter! The rest is just things on the checklist! Good luck

Spyder Garage

True or false that the BRP warranty is only valid if you get the dealer to sign the manual during its first oil change? I have heard conflicting answers...FYI, I only have 600 miles on my 21 and would prefer to do it myself but wouldn't want to mess up any warranty it has.

Spyder Garage

Hopefully you have a good shop that knows witch end of a wrench to hold and you will get your moneys worth out of the service! Good Luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    True or false that the BRP warranty is only valid if you get the dealer to sign the manual during its first oil change? I have heard conflicting answers...FYI, I only have 600 miles on my 21 and would prefer to do it myself but wouldn't want to mess up any warranty it has.

~~~go to your browser and type magnuson moss act, then read it

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla,
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~if I were you I’d wait until 12months pass, then do the oil change. I’m politely saying RTFM. if you do (read the fine manual) it says to change the oil, not only the first time, but every 12months, if you fail to meet the requisite mileage (according to the manual, when to change the oil after you’ve reached the stated mileage)

IOW, the 1st oil change is said to be done when you reach 3K miles, but in your situation, you wont reach 3 K miles within a year’s time. So, according to the powers that be (BRP), if you dont reach 3K miles within 12 months, change the oil & oil filter after 12 months goes by

Some here will change their motor oil and engine oil filter before the onslaught of winter. That’s where you are wondering if you should follow suit, so to speak. As Eric Clapton said “do what you like”

Again, if it were me, I’d wait until 12 months go by. Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s kind of like when my doctor asks me how much i drink. Overe what time period? It’s not unheard for me to drink 6-12 beers in an evening, but that usually also means that I drank 6-12 beers for the weekend, 6-12 beers for the week, and probably 6-12 beers for the month. So the answer is 6-12 beers, but if you interpret one way, I’m an alcoholic, and if you interpret the other, I really should drink more- S Bream, Binge Drinker
    I am an RTFM guy. I agree with you about waiting. But, my question was, should I just wait until Spring which I am inclined to do. Reason is, lots of hard core "you must change BEFORE winter storage" people here. That was the reason for my question. I'm going to wait. With such low miles. I'm just not concerned about oil sitting in it until I'm riding full time in Feb or March again. Also, around here, with the proper gear, you can ride into November (for me). Some ride all year around. Not me.

Thanks for the response.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White