Spyder Garage

Default How's your gas mileage???

I have read that some of you here get really good gas mileage (35+). Most of my driving is done in the city with short stints on the freeway. As such, I only manage to get about 25mpg or so on my 2013 RTL (998). I will admit I drive a little spirited and I am sure that eats up extra gas. I have not tried driving very calmly and keeping the rpm's around 4000 or so to see if it improves.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With the 998 you will only get about 30-32 mpg at best the 1330 will get 35-40 mpg. The best RPM range for the 998 is 4500+. Freeway driving say 70+ will use lots of gas. 3rd gear seems to be when I get the best gas mileage on my spyder, 40-50 mph.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Around 34. Wish it was as good as the GL1800, but I can live with it. 2021 RTL
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I've found many guys tend to exaggerate about 2 things. One of them is gas mileage.

Yuma Gary

Spyder Garage

They say you can get over 30 out of a 998 but in 6 years and 69,000+ miles I never have,or at least not often enought make a difference. My normal is around 28.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Well, I am glad it just isn't me getting in the mid to high 20's for mileage.

I have never waited for the gas light to come on...I've had it down to E quite a few times. I think the most gas I have ever put in was about 3 1/2 gallons...so I guess there is a reserve section of the tank for those who pushed it a little too far. I believe the tank is rated at 5.3 gallons (or there abouts).

Spyder Garage

Chiefburg the tank capacity on your 2013 RTL is 6.6 gal. I have never been able to put more then 5.8 gals in mine and it is the same size.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Chiefburg the tank capacity on your 2013 RTL is 6.6 gal. I have never been able to put more then 5.8 gals in mine and it is the same size.
    Hmm...I've never put more than 3.7 gal or so. My gauge must be way off...I suppose that's good to know.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They say you can get over 30 out of a 998 but in 6 years and 69,000+ miles I never have,or at least not often enought make a difference. My normal is around 28.
    I would agree with that. I have not hit 30 often but close. I do see post calming 30-32 and more with a 998 ( maybe when they are on a trailer ).
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I would agree with that. I have not hit 30 often but close. I do see post calming 30-32 and more with a 998 ( maybe when they are on a trailer ).
    That'd certainly do it! . But for my 2013 998 powered Spyder, it became a LOT easier to get better'n 30+ mpg after I had the ECU Upgrade done!

Not so much while working the throttle hard tho... . For some inexplicable reason, that seems to be really hard on rear tires and makes it drink more gas! . But when we're just cruising along out on the wide open long & (gently) winding roads at or around the 'open road' speed limit here, which is 100 kph/60 mph for some & 110 kph/68 mph for the rest, then it's easy!

I reckon it's cos the improved power/torque means that it'll hold the higher gears easier, and so the engine spends more of the time running at lower fuel delivery levels for any particular given revs/road speed, but that's just a WAG at this stage!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Hmm...I've never put more than 3.7 gal or so. My gauge must be way off...I suppose that's good to know.
    If you are going by the analog gauge then yes it is WAY off. I disconnected both the fuel and the temp gauge which then allows the more accurate digital ones to appear on the screen. You do have to disable them both. I put a volt meter in one hole and a Ram mount in the other. Others have put clocks,oil pressure gauges, usb ports in the holes.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Are you actually filling the tank or just quitting when the auto shut off kicks in?

I always put more gas in after the auto shut off. I pull the nozzle out, and fill it to just below the "o" ring. I let it drain down and do the same one more time. I also zero one of the trip meters. That way I know exactly how many miles on the tank. On the 998's I have owned, we usually could go 180 miles. Most of the time we would fill at 150 to keep from running out of gas at the wrong time.

On the 1330's, we can go about 250 on a tank. We usually fill after two of our daily rides. 200 miles is common. That usually takes about 5 gallons. We have 185 in the last two days. Going to fill tomorrow.

Filling to the same level each time and using the number of miles on the trip meter divided by the number of gallons will give you a accurate mpg number.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-10-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am one of the lucky ones. I average around 33 mpg on my 998. This is riding double. Speed is from 45 to 65 mph. Wife and i went to NH 2 weeks ago and I was loaded and riding double, I averaged 35 mpg. This was for around 185 miles. Traveling around 55 to 62 mph. I am the only owner of this Spyder and I have 84,000 miles on it. My Spyder has always averaged better than alot of 998 reported on this site. If I travel on the highway heading north from Bangor where the speed limit is 75 and I travel 80 mph, 25 mpg is average. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

You guy's have wet my interest, I am going to have to check my mileage!! I am not one to worry about mileage I just stop when the little light tells me to!! Ride more Worry less!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Mikey, I like to know mine generally for 2 reasons. One if it deviates from the norm I can start looking for a problem, and 2 out here in the west it can sometimes be a long way between gas stations.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Are you actually filling the tank or just quitting when the auto shut off kicks in?

I always put more gas in after the auto shut off. I pull the nozzle out, and fill it to just below the "o" ring. I let it drain down and do the same one more time. I also zero one of the trip meters. That way I know exactly how many miles on the tank. On the 998's I have owned, we usually could go 180 miles. Most of the time we would fill at 150 to keep from running out of gas at the wrong time.

On the 1330's, we can go about 250 on a tank. We usually fill after two of our daily rides. 200 miles is common. That usually takes about 5 gallons. We have 185 in the last two days. Going to fill tomorrow.

Filling to the same level each time and using the number of miles on the trip meter divided by the number of gallons used, will give you a accurate mpg number.
    I usually fill visually and fill to the ring. I am guessing I still have nearly 2 gallons left when my gauge hits E...and I haven't pushed it because I didn't want to get stranded somewhere without gas. It is good to know I still have at least 50 miles left when the gauge hits the E. And, I have never ran it down till the light comes on.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-10-2021 at 06:15 PM.