Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Air pressure ( psi ) can't balance an un-balanced tire ..... Nor can it un-balance a balanced tire. .... And Air pressure doesn't cause or fix, " shimmy ". I have successfully Drag Raced my Spyders at 12 psi REAR with 45 psi FRONT, these amounts are way more disparate than yours. And I had no issues with Shimmy. ..... Mike
    Mike, while in general I agree with the words you posted, I will differ from you in that altering tire pressure can change balance and vibration on a tire.

Understand, a quality tire, with no defects should retain balance regardless of pressure.

But you must consider, if this person has a defective or damaged tire, increasing or decreasing pressure has the ability to change the out of roundness of that tire. With a change in out of roundness, the tires ability to remain balanced diminishes.

Often with the oem Kenda tires we witness this. The tire can be balanced on a balancing machine, but vibrates when ridden. No amount of balance weights, beads or goo will correct it. However, altering pressure can alter the defect, giving a false hope.

Even though the person posting has an aftermarket tire, it is possible the tire is defective. Then again, the tire could be true, and any number of other issues or variables could be causing his concerns.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    Think I am going to love the Vredestein Quatrac's, they are really smooth. I should have done this years ago! Thanks for the suggestions.

Just remain cautious and careful until you test them in the wet. Roads here get a lot of standing or flowing water during some afternoon storms we frequently get caught in. Any tire can lose grip in the rain. Hopefully your tire choice works well when needed.

I have never ridden the tires you installed, but experience with oem tires was alarming. The Federal Formoza tires that replaced the oem tires have been very good in the wet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    I have a 2013 ST-L. It has about 10,000 miles on it and the original Kenda front tires. <snip>
    I'm flabbergasted that NO ONE spotted the real problem here: the best tire made is just JUNK after about 6-7 years from manufacture, even if it sits in a cool warehouse all that time. The bonding compounds holding all the plies together just lose their integrity, and when that happens, there is no hope for the tire. The first line above points out the 8-, possibly 9-year age of these tires. Voila!

Oh well, the OP now has decent tires (like mine!) so his problem is solved.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I'm flabbergasted that NO ONE spotted the real problem here: the best tire made is just JUNK after about 6-7 years from manufacture, even if it sits in a cool warehouse all that time. The bonding compounds holding all the plies together just lose their integrity, and when that happens, there is no hope for the tire. The first line above points out the 8-, possibly 9-year age of these tires. Voila!

Oh well, the OP now has decent tires (like mine!) so his problem is solved.
    Really - maybe read posts #2 & 3 & 4 ...... just a thought ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I DID, Mike. I read the whole thread. But NONE of the posts mentioned the AGE of the tires... only that Kenda is junk to start with. Note that I implied even the BEST tires made will die of old age, regardless of mileage. Even 0 miles.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl