Spyder Garage

Default Keyless start Digital Guard Dawg M1 installed

Slingmods sells a keyless system by Digital Guard Dawg at $299. But there is a much less expensive alternative. The Digital Guard Dawg M1 works just fine, is easy to install, and can be had for $107 at DennisKirk.

20210907_155925.jpg 20210906_150948.jpg module.jpg wiring.jpg

I chose to install it at the starter solenoid. Pull the two-wire plug from the back of the solenoid, cut and connect the violet/blue wire to the Guard Dawg module. Connect red and black Guard Dawg wires to the battery. (I used a separate fused battery connection.) There is a little cubby hole near the fuse box into which the module can be secured with 3M auto trim tape. I applied Liquid Tape to the wire exit to seal against the elements.

Watch the Slingmods video to see what to do with the Can Am RFID key. With either system, the RFID key must be left attached to the bike. I may just leave mine exposed, so it can be easily removed for extra security. Someone could swipe it, so I'll carry the spare with me on the Guard Dawg Tag to keep from being stranded. As is, I often forget to remove the RFID key. Now if I don't the bike still can't be started.

The M1 does not have the bypass switch and code that the Slingmods does, but frankly that seems unnecessary. Slingmods has you locate that switch where the plug-and-play connection is. Once you have access to that area, I'll bet unplugging the module and replugging the stock connectors takes less time than entering a code with a pushbutton switch.

The remote functions just like the Slingmods version. It comes configured in Manual mode, where you must press the remote button to enable starting. It can easily be programmed to Automatic mode, where it just has to be close to the bike.

Spyder Garage

Update: For zero current draw on the battery when the bike is off, wire module power to the aux port. That port comes active when the Start button is pressed during the start procedure, and powers the module only when needed.

Spyder Garage

This is great information. I already installed the M3 system and like it a lot. I talked to Digital Dawgs about attaching the control box to the accessory system. The representative was hesitant mainly because he felt the FOB will not work like should in proximity of the bike. Obviously the accessory system must be energized prior to using the FOB. Since I do not use the FOB until I have turned the starting sequence on, this is not a problem for me Also he stated the M3 system draws between 5 and 8 ma so he feels draining the battery is a non-issue. I am interested in exploring the accessory hook up and purchased the service manual which has a pretty complete wiring diagram.

I appears that you can splice the Keyless control box box to the accessory circuit at the fuse box for power. Also I have been entertaining hooking another "Y" connector at the accessory plug under the left panel where the DAWG system is attached now. Also, Slingmods has another video showing a "Y" connector attached to the running lights on the front fender for additional LED lighting systems. Why couldn't the accessory circuit be accessed on the fender light and attached to the Digital Dawg box.

I appreciate DickB suggesting the alternative keyless system. I like having the bypass button for the belts and suspenders part of me.

Spyder Garage

The M1 spec is 8mA and that is what I measured. It would take well over a month to drain the battery with that current draw. A few on Facebook disagreed. To humor them, I thought I would try the aux connection to verify that it would work, and it does. I made the aux connection permanent. I have my fob programmed to automatic.

You can tap into the aux circuit at the fuse box. The lighting connector should work as well.

The pdf service manual at $20 is a bargain and very useful.

Spyder Garage

I just came across a device called a fuse tap. I wonder if the fuse tap at the accessory fuse in the fuse box would work for switching the keyless system to accessory power.

Thank you in advance.

George
    Arizona

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by geosar View Post
    I just came across a device called a fuse tap. I wonder if the fuse tap at the accessory fuse in the fuse box would work for switching the keyless system to accessory power.

Thank you in advance.

George
    Arizona
    Yes, that will work for the M1. Make sure that you install it on the correct terminal so that the unit is powered through the fuse and not bypassing it.

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I do have a service manual. The Accessory fuse is available and there are two additional fuses which appear to become powered after the power button is pressed . I guess I will begin using a 5 amp fuse for the M3 and see how it goes.

George
    Arizona