Spyder Garage

Default Manual Transmission question for Spyder

Currently I have a Ryker and I like everything about it except the transmission. I really like to shift gears. I was looking at the new spyder lineup and unless I am missing something, none seem to have a manual transmission option. Can anyone tell me what the last year and trim levels I could get a manual transmission in the F3 or RT?

Spyder Garage

I am seeing the man trans in 2018 on the cheapcycleparts.com web page, for the f3and the rt! The web page also looks like there is a sm all the way up to 2020 F3 But the parts list don't back up the info!! It dose show the gear box for the SM6, so I don't know
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am seeing the man trans in 2018 on the cheapcycleparts.com web page, for the f3and the rt! The web page also looks like there is a sm all the way up to 2020 F3 But the parts list don't back up the info!! It dose show the gear box for the SM6, so I don't know
    The gear box ie. transmission is the same for ALL Spyders, the difference of the Semi-Auto is how it is shifted ... I believe the semi-auto uses " solenoids " to actuate the transmission, .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I believe the last year of the manual transmission in the F3-S was 2020, and the last year for the manual in the F3-T was 2017.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The last year for a manual clutch on the RT was 2016. I just upgraded from a 2013 RT SM5 (manual) and had to have an RT no newer than a 2016 so that I could get the manual clutch. I have ridden dirt bikes and street bikes for 43 years now and I absolutely love having to shift the bike through the gears. Glad to see that I am not the only one

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses.. Yeah, I am just one of those guys that likes to shift through the gears and thats not just with a bike, a manual is also my preference for cars. I know that automatic transmissions are “easier” and often more efficient these days. But there is just something about shifting gears that I just love.

I think what I would really like to have is a F3-T sm-6 or possibly a f3-s sm6 that way I can have cruise control too. So 2015-2018 f3t or 2015-2020 f3s.

Spyder Garage

Doesn't matter what Spyder you get, an SM or an SE - they really all run the same manual transmission; the only variance is in the clutch & shift method. . So we all get to shift thru the gears manually, even if some prefer using a hand operated clutch & a foot operated shift lever, and others prefer to only use the +/- flappy paddles to shift up & let the fail-safe down-shift take care of changing down for them. Me, I prefer to shift both up and down, except for the occasional lapse....

But the SE's are STILL the same constant mesh manual gearboxes as the SM's, and they even come with a clutch & operator initiated shifting!

Still, as stewartj said above, if you want the hand operated clutch & a foot operated shift lever, then you're gonna hafta get yourself a 2016 or earlier Spyder.... cos all the manual gearbox Spyders that came out after that have flappy paddle thumb/forefinger initiated shifting & electronically operated oil pressure/hydraulic clutches.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

But guys you CAN shift any and all Spyders thru all of the gears either up or down regardless of what kind of clutch actuation device you choose, either paddle or lever.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I hear what you are saying. And maybe i will just have to try it myself but… i have driven many cars with paddle shifters and never enjoyed driving or shifting any of them. But thats just me and maybe its different with a spyder.

Spyder Garage

drove dirt bikes, superbikes, enduro's, but what I love bout the spyder, is the instant upshift you get, from the paddle on your lefthand, I missed the clutchlever only for 10 km's or so.
    Imho, it makes the machine so easy to drive, gives you more time to enjoy the scenery, no stalls on startup, just rev and go....

my two cents, everyone his own...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    Thanks for the responses.. Yeah, I am just one of those guys that likes to shift through the gears and thats not just with a bike, a manual is also my preference for cars. I know that automatic transmissions are “easier” and often more efficient these days. But there is just something about shifting gears that I just love.

I think what I would really like to have is a F3-T sm-6 or possibly a f3-s sm6 that way I can have cruise control too. So 2015-2018 f3t or 2015-2020 f3s.
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, 2017 F3-T is the last year for the manual trans - not '18.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

long time rider (since the 60's), but man do I love the semi auto with the paddle shifter. On a recent road trip several of us got caught in stop and go/bumper to bumper traffic for over 15 miles on I70 in Colorado. All the other guys were so envious of me not having to mess with a clutch. I don't miss having to use a hand clutch and foot shift at all.

Plus the top of my left boot does not get all scuffed up.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .