Spyder Garage

Default Do I need a Plug-n-play harness AND isolation fuse block to add fender & mirror signa

2021 RTL - I'm adding Show Chrome (Lamonster) Amber Signal lights, Amber and Red fender lights. I've ordered the LM Plug-n-Play harness, but the fine print in the directions provided with the lights suggests that I also need an isolation fuse block. I'm semi-sharp electrically, but totally ignorant of all things digital or CAN bus. Do I need both the P-n-P and isolation fuse thing?

TIA for your help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'What should I use?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    2021 RTL - I'm adding Show Chrome (Lamonster) Amber Signal lights, Amber and Red fender lights. I've ordered the LM Plug-n-Play harness, but the fine print in the directions provided with the lights suggests that I also need an isolation fuse block. I'm semi-sharp electrically, but totally ignorant of all things digital or CAN bus. Do I need both the P-n-P and isolation fuse thing?

TIA for your help.
    I'm in the camp that thinks an additional FUSE BLOCK for ANY AUX circuits is the best way to go. This will isolate any issues from effecting the MAIN BRP system ..... I bought mine at ...BANGGOOD.COM ... for about $10.00, it has mini-blade fuses, and works as designed ...... good luck .... Mike PS, for any LED light circuits I use a 2.5 or 5 amp fuse ......

Spyder Garage

My guess based on working on previous year Spyders would be no fuse block for the lights you plan to install. However, if Lamosters instructions say you need a fuse block, then likely you do. If Show Chromes instruction say you need a fuse block, very possible you do not need it.

Consider too, Lamont supplies a PnP adapter harness to obtain steady power for running lights and switched power for signals. If you were to fuse each circuit, the fuse block would need to be designed where each circuit fuse was in series to the original circuit, otherwise you would have no control of signaling, merely all lights would illuminate steady if you had a power distribution fuse block.

I suspect your upgrade Lamonster PnP connects to the original wire harness very similar if not identically as earlier models. Check out this Lamonster video and compare.
    My thought is no fuse block required, but certainly I could be wrong having not yet installed these lights.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7bBCHidV1o

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the plug and play show chrome isolated fuse box on my 2021 S2S and I highly recommend it. Very easy install and allows for addition of many lights and powered accessories. I know value accessories sells it.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I have the plug and play show chrome isolated fuse box on my 2021 S2S and I highly recommend it. Very easy install and allows for addition of many lights and powered accessories. I know value accessories sells it.
    Joel, curious, what you describe seems to be a type of power distribution fuse box.
    Is the fuse box able to allow the turn signals to flash also?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes it does. It has outputs for turn signals, running lights, brake lights, keyed power, and full time power.

http://https://store.valueaccessories.net/FuseBlockandTrailerWiringHarnessSpyderRT20.aspx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If its Plug n Play there is no need for a fuse box. You unplug oem connector and plug new harness into it. Driving lights are about the only thing you'd need a fuse box for. There are 3 accessory connections for added accessories. I'm running a CB and Halo skid plate from 2 of them and i'll use the rear for XK Glow lighting system.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thats not true. The new turn signals for the mirrors on the 2020+ rt are not plug-n-play. Unless you enjoy ruining your factory harness, an isolated fuse box is the way to go. I also have accessory outlets, dashcam, A arm lights, mirror lights, radar detector, HUD, and gps running through my aux fuse box. I have no cuts in my factory wiring. The only plug and play lights I have are led fender lights and running board lights. The 2020 RT only has one accessory connection that I know of under the right side body panel. Wiring diagram only shows one accessory connection on the RT also. Wiring diagram shows 3 accessory connections on the F3T & L.