Spyder Garage

Default 2014 STS shock leaking

Hello All,

I have a 2014, STS with a leaking front shock (left side). The bike has very low mileage and has sat for some time which might explain the seals getting old and leaky. When I found the problem, I took the shock to a local repair shop and had it rebuilt, along with the other side, just to insure that any old seal problem did not show up again.

I got the shocks back and re-installed them only to find that the same shock was/is still leaking. I tried contacting the shop that did the rebuild, but they ignored any attempt I made to talk about the issue. I have my doubts that the rebuilt was done correctly, or it might be that the rebuild kit was also old and did not fix anything. Regardless, going back there is not a solution.

To compound the problem, all my attempts to find a OEM replacement have come up empty. Even a search using the part number on the shock turns up nothing. I tried online Spyder parts locations and the Fox website coming away empty handed. Seems this shock is not to be had. Even eBay has nothing.

I know there are alternative shocks I can get, but was curious if anybody has had any better luck finding the OEM shock.

The one I am looking for looks like this . . .

20200609_110506.jpg

Thanks for any help with this issue . . . Don

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DLMOXLEY1 View Post
    Hello All,

I have a 2014, STS with a leaking front shock (left side). The bike has very low mileage and has sat for some time which might explain the seals getting old and leaky. When I found the problem, I took the shock to a local repair shop and had it rebuilt, along with the other side, just to insure that any old seal problem did not show up again.

I got the shocks back and re-installed them only to find that the same shock was/is still leaking. I tried contacting the shop that did the rebuild, but they ignored any attempt I made to talk about the issue. I have my doubts that the rebuilt was done correctly, or it might be that the rebuild kit was also old and did not fix anything. Regardless, going back there is not a solution.

To compound the problem, all my attempts to find a OEM replacement have come up empty. Even a search using the part number on the shock turns up nothing. I tried online Spyder parts locations and the Fox website coming away empty handed. Seems this shock is not to be had. Even eBay has nothing.

I know there are alternative shocks I can get, but was curious if anybody has had any better luck finding the OEM shock.

The one I am looking for looks like this . . .

20200609_110506.jpg

Thanks for any help with this issue . . . Don
    Lots of folks here ( including me ) switched to the shocks from a similar RT .... they are a bit stronger, and provide a sportier ride, and DO NOT become harsh .... Many folks here have them lying around their garages .... maybe someone will help you out ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would say your shock guy did a shouty job and didn't rebuild the head right, or he cut the seal when he installed the seal in the head! Fox shocks are not that hard to rebuild, I've watched my shock guy do a set several times, I would ether keep on pounding on his door, or find some one else!! You have a good shock there, you just got to find a good guy that wants to do the job!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I would say your shock guy did a shouty job and didn't rebuild the head right, or he cut the seal when he installed the seal in the head! Fox shocks are not that hard to rebuild, I've watched my shock guy do a set several times, I would ether keep on pounding on his door, or find some one else!! You have a good shock there, you just got to find a good guy that wants to do the job!! Good luck!!
    I agree with your comments on job they did. However, I am not that interested in giving him another chance on my dime.

I have been looking around for a shop that might get it done. One of my concerns is since the shock is hard to find, maybe the rebuild kits are as well or they have been sitting around for years. Hopefully I will get the right answers when/if I find a place that can do the job correctly. Fox does not seem to have a straight forward path for rebuilding their shock . . . at least this one.

Thanks for the input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Lots of folks here ( including me ) switched to the shocks from a similar RT .... they are a bit stronger, and provide a sportier ride, and become harsh .... Many folks here have them lying around their garages .... maybe someone will help you out ..... good luck .... Mike
    Thanks for the reply. I may be chasing my own tail on this one. If I don't find a shop that can rebuild them correctly, if that is the cause for the leak, then I think it is time to look toward some alternatives.

Spyder Garage

First off, are you sure it is still leaking. During a rebuild, the dust seal and main seal are coated with seal grease. This will leave a residue ring on the shaft that can take a while to diminish.

You failed to mention what shop rebuilt those Fox Podiums for you. Fox has factory service centers in California and North Carolina. Additionally, many off road truck and snowmobile performance suspension shops are independent Fox repair shops.

Having rebuilt hundreds of Fox Shox myself on other vehicles, these no doubt are a pretty basic but good quality performance shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check with m2 shocks and see if Marcus can help you out.

Spyder Garage

PMK is very right they use that shock on many sport items, hit most any atv shop and ask them if they rebuild shocks or know of some one that will, the rebuild kits aren't that hard to find, unless the virus has bung that up also!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    First off, are you sure it is still leaking. During a rebuild, the dust seal and main seal are coated with seal grease. This will leave a residue ring on the shaft that can take a while to diminish.

You failed to mention what shop rebuilt those Fox Podiums for you. Fox has factory service centers in California and North Carolina. Additionally, many off road truck and snowmobile performance suspension shops are independent Fox repair shops.

Having rebuilt hundreds of Fox Shox myself on other vehicles, these no doubt are a pretty basic but good quality performance shock.
    Yep, still leaking. I cleaned the lower A-Arm more than once (where it collects) and evidence of the shock oil dripping onto it returns every time. The last time, the bike was cleaned and not ridden and the oil was again, sitting on the A-Arm. There is residue of oil sitting on the top of the shock around the shaft. I have yet to take shock off to get a closer look.

The shop that did the work is located in Reno, NV. I'll check out the service center location in California and see how close they are. Might be worth the trip or sent it out.

Thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    PMK is very right they use that shock on many sport items, hit most any atv shop and ask them if they rebuild shocks or know of some one that will, the rebuild kits aren't that hard to find, unless the virus has bung that up also!!
    Good point. We do have some an ATV shop nearby that deals with Can Am among other brands. I'll pay them a visit.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Yep, still leaking. I cleaned the lower A-Arm more than once (where it collects) and evidence of the shock oil dripping onto it returns every time. The last time, the bike was cleaned and not ridden and the oil was again, sitting on the A-Arm. There is residue of oil sitting on the top of the shock around the shaft. I have yet to take shock off to get a closer look.

The shop that did the work is located in Reno, NV. I'll check out the service center location in California and see how close they are. Might be worth the trip or sent it out.

Thanks for the info.
    I may have offered up old info. Seems Fox has moved their primary service center out of California.

Minesota appears to be the lead service center at this time. Then again, on the linked info below, Watsonville CA still shows as a service center sort of. My opinion is to call both places, however, seeing the 800 number is the same for both, very possible all service is now in the midwest. They can give an idea on turn around time and let you know where to send the shocks.

Seems North Carolina is bicycle stuff only.
    BTW, I have dealt with Fox products since 1975. I am not a fan boy. However, they often have very good products that are reliable. We run Fox Shox, the BRP / Can Am aftermarket versions on our 2014 Spyder RT.

Powered Vehicles
    GENERAL SALES + SERVICE

WEST
    130 Hangar Way
    Watsonville, CA 95076
    p 831.274.6557 / 800.369.7469
    f 831.768.7026

psamsales@ridefox.com

MIDWEST / SOUTH / NORTHEAST
    13461 Dogwood Dr.
    Baxter, MN 56425
    p 800.369.7469

pssalesmw@ridefox.com
    psservicemw@ridefox.com

https://www.ridefox.com/contact.php

Spyder Garage

Good point. We do have some an ATV shop nearby that deals with Can Am among other brands. I'll pay them a visit.

Thanks
    You need a suspension specialty shop. Most dealers are no longer rebuilding suspension, but certainly ask.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to the many suggestions to include yours, I did find a shop in Sierraville, CA that is a certified Fox rebuilder of their shocks. As most pointed out, ATV/Snowmobile dealers deal with this type of issue. That is the case here in that the shop is a snowmobile seller and does a lot of repairs on Fox suspension parts.

The person at the shop briefly covered the design of the shock with me and what the pitfalls are with regard to a rebuild not being done to spec or using some of the aftermarket rebuild kits out there. Neither of us are blaming the previous shop that did the work, since there is no evidence of what was done right, or wrong at this point. This shop may find more information regarding what was done once the shock/s are opened up.

Thanks to all for your comments and help. I learned something and now have a new source for repairs.

Don