Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Hi Peter.

I'm sure your warning is well intentioned, but it looks a bit over the top.

I've done over 3,000 miles at 20 psi in the back tyre without problems, some of it in temperatures over 100F, and much of it at 75 and 85 mph (110 to 135 kph). Let's bring some science into this.

Here is a rundown of the temps on the tread and sidewalls - what do you think?

Front tyre:

And here is the rear tyre:

The outer tread areas are hotter because they are doing most of the work at these pressures. If the tyre is running critically flat the sidewall temps will go up. They have not in this case.

The rear tyre temps will always be higher while driving because there is more power transmitted through them than in the front, which are just experiencing rolling resistance most of the time.

I've used an IR temp gun before to establish tyre pressures on a trailer, unladen and loaded. It works. They use tyre temps across the tread in racing to help sort out handling and suspension parameters.

Seriously, I think you should delete your comment or at least take out the ridiculously bold type because your comments are ill-advised and uninformed.
Informative post with ONE EXCEPTION! The tires in the photos are NOT NAMED. Are we to accept "expert" testimony with such absence of vital information?