Spyder Garage

Default Anyone put a fuel door on a 2010 RS? Any hints?

Has any one put a fuel door on 2010 rs ? the threads I have read show for rt. I have measured and the fuel doors shown seem to big to fit in the front space of the rs seat. It seems that the diameter cant be more that 5 to 5 1/2 inches or so.

Hildy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hildy View Post
    Has any one put a fuel door on 2010 rs ? the threads I have read show for rt. I have measured and the fuel doors shown seem to big to fit in the front space of the rs seat. It seems that the diameter cant be more that 5 to 5 1/2 inches or so.
    Hildy
    ( Hildy ) & ..... I discovered a way to do it 10 years or so ago, for my 09 GS ..... I bought a Fuel filler on E-bay for a Yamaha crotch rocket ( FJR something ) .... it did need a little " trimming " ( remove parts that are not needed ) and the OEM gas cap must be changed to a " Perma-Cap II " ..... this type of cap has a " flapper cover " that allows you to just put the gas nozzle thru the cap into the tank. It's certified as Safe to use ...... Mike ....................OK I did some searching and an Album that was posted by " tspappe " at my request .... He followed my instructions and was successful ... His was done on an RS seat , but they are the same as the GS ..... if you decide to try this I can provide help ..... Mike .....I forgot to tell HOW to find the PICS ..... in the search box type this ---- 2009 RS Gas Door ---- look down about 8-10 answers and you will find His Thread

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hildy
    Here you go, costs nothing it"s easy Call me for more info 209-887-3283

Gas Door #1.jpg

Spyder Garage

The early Corbin seats had a built in fuel door for the GS & RS models. I had the seat and the door on my 08 GS/SM5.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Searched internet, for 2 months, found cover for Jeep I think, drilled cut, placed, very close, tight, works!, need phot?

Spyder Garage

YES phot would help all i find are doors to big for the seat area of 2010 rs
    Thanks Ron

Spyder Garage

YES phot would help all i find are doors to big for the seat area of 2010 rs
    Thanks Ron
    Ron - did you read post #2.-????? ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

yes not sure I like the looks of folding back seat

Spyder Garage

yes not sure I like the looks of folding back seat
    ..... cutting thru the seat PAN is extremely difficult , and removing the the seat cover to do it has so many problems I can't imagine doing it this way..... Hildy - you don't need to make a template ..... the ring that the door is attached to IS THE TEMPLATE, put it against the seat near the gas cap and burn one hole thru the seat material ( not the pan ) then use a 1/4 in bit to make the hole .... put a 1/4" bolt and nut to hold it in place .... now do it to the opposite hole in the ring ,... bolt that in place also ..... do the rest of the holes ...... use small bolts with " T " nuts to attach the ring ...... Now use a sharp knife ( box cutter ) to trim the seat material inside the ring ( leave a thin edge for a lip - this prevents the DOOR from closing to far ) ..... I used a 2" hole saw to remove most of the seat pan plastic inside the ring ... then a Dremel with a coarse stone to grind down the plastic .....have fun let us know how you did ..... PM me if you have any questions ...... Happy Thanksgiving ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike since the locking bolt does not hit the outside ring on the gas door what does it slide under to keep the door locked shut until bolt is retracted with the key? I have looked at lots crotch rocket bike gas caps and they all seem to be manufactured the same way. thanks for your patience.
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Mike since the locking bolt does not hit the outside ring on the gas door what does it slide under to keep the door locked shut until bolt is retracted with the key? I have looked at lots crotch rocket bike gas caps and they all seem to be manufactured the same way. thanks for your patience.
    Ron
    The " crotch rocket " fuel door doesn't work the way the one I have for my RT .... when I was converting them to use on a GS-RSS etc. the part that sealed the gas on the " CR " door had to be removed/ dis-assembled. ... The " CR " door didn't lock .... I used to mount the " ring " so the door hinge was at the top .... since your knee is against it doesn't open while you are riding, and in my 37 years in law-enforcement I never even heard of GAS theft from a Mtc. .... a member " tspappe " ( see my post #2 for info )( His pics are in the post in CAPS )has lots of pics posted ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-13-2021 at 11:38 AM.