Spyder Garage

Default Very hard to shift into Reverse

It's getting very hard to shift my 2018 Spyder RT into Reverse. I have to apply a lot of pressure to the Reverse button as well as the Down Shift lever to get it to go into Reverse. Any thoughts? Bad control module maybe? How difficult would that be to replace?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    It's getting very hard to shift my 2018 Spyder RT into Reverse. I have to apply a lot of pressure to the Reverse button as well as the Down Shift lever to get it to go into Reverse. Any thoughts? Bad control module maybe? How difficult would that be to replace?
    The control module is a mechanical device that activates electrical contacts to achieve " reverse " .... I have over 63,000 mi on my 2014, it works fine . The spyder lives inside a garage 12 mos. a year. It has been in the rain occasionally, but it is designed to weatherproof. I have found that it can get " wonky " if the Exact shifting " sequence is not followed..... ie. firmly press the R button and then use the " - " lever ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My experience also. You must be very deliberate with your movements when entering reverse. If you tend to get lazy (which we're all guilty of) when engaging reverse, what your describing will happen.

Spyder Garage

OK thanks guys. I'll focus a little more on how I'm doing it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I believe that you also must apply the brake. The R and (-) are just switches, force on them should not be necessary.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I don't need to apply the brakes to shift into Reverse but must do so to shift from Reverse and Neutral to 1st.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something of interest, or not, that I've noticed is how to avoid that jaw crunching gosh-awful first shift after the first day's startup. After you turn on the key turn off the parking brake. Hit ECO when the screen requires it and push on the foot brake if you haven't already done so. Hit the start button and just after it fires up, shift into first gear. IF you catch it just right, no clunk. You'll hardly hear it or feel it. Then shift into reverse if that's the way you are going. It takes practice and timing but it works.

Spyder Garage

The "clunk" in shifting from Neutral to 1st or Reverse after start up is just the way a constant mesh transmission works and does absolutely no harm/damage to the engine or transmission.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I know and I watched the video on those transmissions. But it's still as annoying as all get out. Gives me the creeps every time it happens. That's why I found a way to avoid it, most of the time.

Spyder Garage

Try a gentle"flick" of the "-" button
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sold my 2015 RTL and the gentalman that bought it was having trouble getting it into reverse. Remeber the reverse button must be pushed first, then the shifter button pushed. If the Reverse is not pushed first, or you let off of it slightly when hitting hte shift button, it will not go into reverse.

After explaining that he has had no problems.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

On our '13 RT-L, we share the Spyder, my wife laughs at me when I use two-hand procedure to shift it to Reverse. Right thumb on the R button, left index finger to hit the - paddle. I try to user left hand but it's hit and missed. She only uses her left hand to shift to Reverse and it works every time for her. A side note: my wife's height is 4'11"3/4, typical Asian woman.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    On our '13 RT-L, we share the Spyder, my wife laughs at me when I use two-hand procedure to shift it to Reverse. Right thumb on the R button, left index finger to hit the - paddle. I try to user left hand but it's hit and missed. She only uses her left hand to shift to Reverse and it works every time for her. A side note: my wife's height is 4'11"3/4, typical Asian woman.
    Good for your wife. I've tried doing that several dozen times and I still can't seem to get it down so it works for me. I have to use both hands to make reverse engage. Maybe she could be so nice as to give the rest of us lessons on that procedure. LOL