Spyder Garage

Default Got any performance improvement suggestions?

I did filters and a new exhaust, thinking of a tune and maybe a power pedal, someone on here mentioned a turbo option. What else is there? I'm no motorhead, but I do like playing with stuff. I read about an aftermarket header that is supposed to help a bit, but I am unsure of where to go. Open to suggestions, recommendations from those of you who like to tweak your stuff. I thought there would be more performance related stuff on the market like with the side by sides. You should see what some of the people in my area have done with those things...man do they fly.

Once again, I am not a motorhead by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems like they really restricted the airflow on these things.

I called the dealership about every mod, so far they say that nothing that I have done, or am going to do will ruin the warranty (I didn't run the turbo idea by them yet).

Spyder Garage

Because of the ECU/Computer that controls the way the engine runs, there's not much you can do in the way of 'bolt-ons' or 'swaps' like those you've mentioned (even including the turbo!) that will really 'improve' things all that much - without upgrading the ECU you'll really only ever get what the ECU in it's standard trim ALLOWS you to get, and that's pretty much hard coded & largely unchangeable despite getting any better air-flow in or exhaust out!

That said, these things are significantly de-tuned by BRP at the factory, so the best bang for your bucks is to get an ECU Upgrade done! . A Pedal Box, Power Commander, or any similar 'piggy-back' or 'add-on' type unit &/or UBD applied 'flash' can go part of the way to getting some sort of real improvement in power/torque, but it's only a band-aid type solution that you might need to remove every time your machine goes in for service or anything at the dealers because it might cause some warranty arguments - it shouldn't, but if you don't want to risk the potential argument....

So your best bet is to get a 'proper' ECU Upgrade done that literally changes the contents of the ECU box itself in a way that very few dealers &/or BRP themselves will be able to see without making a significant effort to remove, download the content, & then inspect the hard coding in tables & base set-up of your ECU - all they'll be able to see in the normal course of events is that your particular machine runs a helluva lot better'n most!! And that can be done without even exceeding the already established reliability levels used on these same engines in other applications!

By doing that ECU Upgrade, you can then really take advantage of improving getting air-flow/volume IN &/or getting Exhaust OUT improvements that you might also make; but without it, any of those thongs will basically be nothing much more than cosmetic &/or noise generators! . But WITH the ECU Upgrade, you can use those teamed with the Upgrade to significantly improve the power/torque delivery of your engine, AND you can do that without exceeding the 'known to be reliable' limits that these same engines run at in other applications!

Go On, DO IT! You Know You Want To!

Search on Monster Perfomance or Wick-It for Spyder/Ryker ECU Upgrades in North America, or check out ECU Xtreme (RotaxRacing@gmail.com) on my side of the World (IMHO, by far the best! )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-05-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The Pedal Commander only changes the sensitivity of the throttle, much like Eco mode only in reverse. It does not add any power or torque.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The Pedal Commander only changes the sensitivity of the throttle, much like Eco mode only in reverse. It does not add any power or torque.
    .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Because of the ECU/Computer that controls the way the engine runs, there's not much you can do in the way of 'bolt-ons' or 'swaps' like those you've mentioned (even including the turbo!) that will really 'improve' things all that much - without upgrading the ECU you'll really only ever get what the ECU in it's standard trim ALLOWS you to get, and that's pretty much hard coded & largely unchangeable despite getting any better air-flow in or exhaust out!

That said, these things are significantly de-tuned by BRP at the factory, so the best bang for your bucks is to get an ECU Upgrade done! . A Pedal Box, Power Commander, or any similar 'piggy-back' or 'add-on' type unit &/or UBD applied 'flash' can go part of the way to getting some sort of real improvement in power/torque, but it's only a band-aid type solution that you might need to remove every time your machine goes in for service or anything at the dealers because it might cause some warranty arguments - it shouldn't, but if you don't want to risk the potential argument....

So your best bet is to get a 'proper' ECU Upgrade done that literally changes the contents of the ECU box itself in a way that very few dealers &/or BRP themselves will be able to see without making a significant effort to remove, download the content, & then inspect the hard coding in tables & base set-up of your ECU - all they'll be able to see in the normal course of events is that your particular machine runs a helluva lot better'n most!! And that can be done without even exceeding the already established reliability levels used on these same engines in other applications!

By doing that ECU Upgrade, you can then really take advantage of improving getting air-flow/volume IN &/or getting Exhaust OUT improvements that you might also make; but without it, any of those thongs will basically be nothing much more than cosmetic &/or noise generators! . But WITH the ECU Upgrade, you can use those teamed with the Upgrade to significantly improve the power/torque delivery of your engine, AND you can do that without exceeding the 'known to be reliable' limits that these same engines run at in other applications!

Go On, DO IT! You Know You Want To!

Search on Monster Perfomance or Wick-It for Spyder/Ryker ECU Upgrades in North America, or check out ECU Xtreme (RotaxRacing@gmail.com) on my side of the World (IMHO, by far the best! )
    :agree X's 10 ..... with computer controlled engines all the OLD things that worked will only produce a possible 1 % change..... ( and doubt even that much ) ...... good luck .... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been thinking about trying the Power Vision.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, It will improve performance in as much as I don't have to overtwist my wrist to get it to go.

Spyder Garage

thanks, I guess when I wrote thinking of a tune, I should have elaborated and said flash it or ecu tweak or something along those lines. I agree, from what I have read and watched online, it is the greatest improvement there is.

Spyder Garage

me too, the only problem for me is figuring out the settings, when the tunes supplied by dyna jet are for only one type of exhaust, and the other tunes I saw were for other specific exhausts. I guess I could tweak my own, just thought there would already be one online.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    Thanks, It will improve performance in as much as I don't have to overtwist my wrist to get it to go.
    I got the popular foam Grip Puppies which make the grip wider and you don't move your hand as far. Mine is stock and goes zoom!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I got the popular foam Grip Puppies which make the grip wider and you don't move your hand as far. Mine is stock and goes zoom!!!
    Mine goes zoom too LOL, I just want it to be zoomier maybe even the zoomiest it can be.

Spyder Garage

There's a member of the Can-Am Ryker Owners Group on FB who's had some amazing work done. Fast? How about 175mph fast?

Screenshot (1).png
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KnurledNut View Post
    There's a member of the Can-Am Ryker Owners Group on FB who's had some amazing work done. Fast? How about 175mph fast?

Screenshot (1).png
    175 mph on a RYKER ...... sorry but I don't believe it !!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    175 mph on a RYKER ...... sorry but I don't believe it !!!!!!
    I watched him go head to head with a 2021 Corvette. Impressive to say the least.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

so he turbo'd it, nice, I bet that kicked in around 40 or so?

Spyder Garage

Nitrous oxide (NOS) system. That should give you a boost

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There was a guy on here that turbocharged his 08-09 spyder that took it to salt flats.
    You could add airplane fuel and report back on how fast you went until the engine blew!!! Just kidding

Spyder Garage

Screenshot (1).png
    I saw it too, but it was 175kmh not mph! And the plan was to make modifications to the CVT to reach higher top speed.

A really cool project I think! I would not really care for higher top speed, it is enough as it is for me, but a turbo and more acceleration sure would be great. I just wish BRP would offer a turbo Ryker...

Spyder Garage

Here's a link to the youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmqBqYfBdq0&t=1s

Spyder Garage

I watched him go head to head with a 2021 Corvette. Impressive to say the least.
    Maybe ... but it REALLY was .... 175 KPH .... and that makes a hugh difference Mike .....Thanks Greven for clearing this ERROR up .....