Spyder Garage

Default Rear wheel replacement and brake pad change

In the process of reading the service manual for the 2016 RTL and came across: "Install caliper with NEW screws." What's up with that? All of the videos forums that I have read say nothing about replacing bolts. Another question is the replacement of the retaining clip for the retaining screw on the pads. Again no mention in the videos of this either. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Spyder Garage

On this same topic, it seems that the rear bolts for the disc and the encoder wheel also are to be replaced. I guess they are not very confident of the metallurgy of the bolts.

Spyder Garage

I haven't replaced any bolts or screws in the three times I have had the rear apart. I understand the thinking behind those recommendations, but I just clean them well and use BLUE Loctite when installing. If the threads or the head of the bolt/screw shows damage I would replace simply because forcing a damaged fastener will damage other parts. Do whatever gives you peace of mind.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjhitman View Post
    In the process of reading the service manual for the 2016 RTL and came across: "Install caliper with NEW screws." What's up with that? All of the videos forums that I have read say nothing about replacing bolts. Another question is the replacement of the retaining clip for the retaining screw on the pads. Again no mention in the videos of this either. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
    Well you can if want ...... personally I've never done it..... This recommendation is not just for Spyders, I find almost anything that is assembled today says about the same thing .... In " lawyer speak " it's CYA so you don't get Sued ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I called my local dealer and talked to a service rep and they said the same thing. Clean and inspect and re-use with blue loctite.

Spyder Garage

YES, I have had my caliper bolts out 3 times in 33,000 miles. All mc's have that wording on caliper bolts, front fork bolts, or anywhere that uses removable locktite that might wear OFF and cause a failure to stop or safety issue. I can still feel the resistance when turning back in, on bolt and ID threads of the locktite still in place. I just torque back to spec
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I clean and use new lock tite. Never had a failure.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mjhitman -- these are not torque-to-yield bolts and therefore may be reused, preferably with Blue Loctite as suggested above.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike