Spyder Garage

Default Reverse problem - 2021 RTL would not go into reverse??

Newbie here. I have a 2021 RTL with 2200 miles. I have to use reverse and first to kind of crab walk the CanMm into its parking space in my garage. Today it would not go into reverse. I just put it in neutral and pushed it into place, This is the second time this has happened to me. Are the any tips or tricks anyone can give me to avoid this problem? Thanks. Snoozer

Spyder Garage

As a 2021 your dealer need to adjust something. My 2014 RTS has Never had a shifting problem. You may want to check the oil level too.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

adjust the slack out of parking brake cable probably wont need much

Spyder Garage

Thanks I will check the oil and have the dealer check the parking brake cable.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

????? ..... did you have your foot on the BRAKE pedal ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
    Newbie here. I have a 2021 RTL with 2200 miles. I have to use reverse and first to kind of crab walk the CanMm into its parking space in my garage. Today it would not go into reverse. I just put it in neutral and pushed it into place, This is the second time this has happened to me. Are the any tips or tricks anyone can give me to avoid this problem? Thanks. Snoozer
    Same thing happened to me today. Only 1500 miles.

Spyder Garage

I occasionally experience this on my 2021 RTL but then I realize I didn’t follow the steps it takes to put the trike in reverse..
    ..foot on brake during this whole process
    ..turn ignition key
    ..push parking brake button to turn it off if it is on
    ..push eco mode button to get the safety warning off
    ..push start button
    ..hold down reverse button and while holding reverse button down, pull the shift button behind the left grip toward me
    Goes into reverse every time except when I have a senior moment…

I also sometimes forget to keep foot on the brake to shift to 1st and it just sits there laughing at me while my mind races to figure out why it won’t go into first gear…and the other riders take off down the road…later asking me why I was slow to leave the parking area.. duh…
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Snoozer, someone previously mentioned that if you don’t leave a second before pressing the shift button while holding the “R” button, this can cause the ‘21 not to select reverse………just a possible cause. I.e. don’t press them both simultaneously…….hold in the “R” button, wait a second, then press the shift button while still holding the “R” button

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 09-20-2021 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Although mechanical failures are possible, I suspect that if there IS a problem with the bike (not the pilot), that it is just a switch adjustment.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Snoozer, someone previously mentioned that if you don’t leave a second before pressing the shift button while holding the R button, this can cause the ‘21 not to select reverse………just a possible cause. I.e. don’t press them both at once.

Pete
    Interesting how different people can get things to work in different ways.
    I have been following the guidelines as set forth in the Operator’s Guide, page 46, and press and hold the reverse button then pull the shift lever toward me.
    52FD6B19-FF67-4ADD-8CF6-4CE954F07ECE.jpg
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Interesting how different people can get things to work in different ways.
    I have been following the guidelines as set forth in the Operator’s Guide, page 46, and press and hold the reverse button then pull the shift lever toward me.
    52FD6B19-FF67-4ADD-8CF6-4CE954F07ECE.jpg
    Just poorly phrased English on my part, Pooch. I didn’t mean to indicate that you press the “R”, release it, and then press the shift button….. ……it should have read - press and hold the “R” button and wait a second before pressing the shift button while still holding the “R”. I’ll edit my post…….thanks
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for thinking I am not the problem. It has been really hot in Colorado and it only seems to happen when I ride for a period of time in the heat. I have to go from first to reverse a number of times to kind of crab walk it into my garage space. When I come out the next day it goes into reverse with no problems. I only have 2500 miles on it so I will have it checked out at the 3000 mile service. I may be trying to go from first to reverse too fast. I love all the responses I have received.

Spyder Garage

I have a ‘21 Spyder RT with 4300 miles. I am having the same problem; when the Spyder is cold it shifts fine. Once I ride for several minutes (warm up) I get the problem of no reverse. Interestingly, if I shut down the bike and restart it I can shift it into reverse once (remember this is only when it is warmed up). I have not checked the oil but know I am shifting it correctly.
    Also, thank you all for providing this forum and providing us with your thoughts (answers). I am bringing it into my local Spyder repair shop Wednesday 4/20/22.

Spyder Garage

IMO, a warranty issue. It could be a number of things including the reverse actuator underneath; let them figure it out.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Well they spent a day on the problem. Found nothing wrong and made me pay $230 for the diagnostics. They said the manufacturer will not pay if they find nothing wrong. Because of this incident, I have lost a lot of confidence in my Spyder and CanAm. I owned a Honda Gold Wing (Trikes and bought new) for 13 years and put on 65,000 miles and had ZERO problems with that bike. Maybe Japanese built is better than Canadian built?
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful and thank you in advance.

Spyder Garage

BOTTOM LINE.............if it pops up again, make them put that money for diagnostics towards fixing the real problem. could be left hand control only shows up once in a while. or there is a bracket holding reverse actuator under left side floorboard, sometimes snaggs on loading trailer going backwards
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

for 230 they did not spend the day on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jfingalls View Post
    Maybe Japanese built is better than Canadian built?
    Absolutely no question about it. Honda's are the best built motorcycles on the planet.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0