Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure screw up at dealer service

Sept 3, 2021

I had my 3,000 mile service a couple of days ago and they mentioned that they checked tire pressure. My Slime says 20 in front and 28 in rear.
    I checked the tire pressure today and it read 24.5 in front and 31 in rear. I guess they didn't let the tires cool off enough to get the proper tire pressure. Love some of the dealers.

Motogordo Spyderman
    Last edited by Motogordo; 09-03-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Not fer nuttin but why do you continue to use that dealer? How many strikes do they get before they're out?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

See this thread... apparently several folks like the lower pressure in the front tires of the 2020-21 RTL's...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ssure-Question
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Sept 3, 2021

They are the only dealer near me. Only 10 miles and 20 minutes away. They have taken good care of me in the past. I feel comfortable there and know all the staff and just met the owner. If there is a problem, they correct it for me. I will hang in there for now. Thanks for the opinion.

Spyder Garage

My own personal belief is that when it comes to tire pressure one must begin with a gauge one knows is accurate. I purchased an analog gauge when I bought my Spyder and compared it with a pretty expensive digital gauge I already owned. The analog gauge agreed across a wide pressure range with the digital gauge and the analog one rides in the Spyder because it's the easier one to use on the rear tire. One has no idea what the accuracy of dealership gauges are and what kind of use/abuse they get in the service department.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

No two air gauges are alike, they will read differently.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

The better analog (slide) gauges can actually be calibrated. The great trucking company I worked for, before we got bought out, required the gauges be tested weekly against a master gauge. The guys that really took care of theirs required infrequent calibration. Others needed it every few weeks and replacements often. Master gauges were certified annually.

If you get a good one, take care of it. It will last a long time.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
    No two air gauges are alike, they will read differently.
    Really .....out of the 30 or so MILLION tire gauges out there at least some should match .....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    Sept 3, 2021

I had my 3,000 mile service a couple of days ago and they mentioned that they checked tire pressure. My Slime says 20 in front and 28 in rear.
    I checked the tire pressure today and it read 24.5 in front and 31 in rear. I guess they didn't let the tires cool off enough to get the proper tire pressure. Love some of the dealers.

Motogordo Spyderman
    What does the 3000 miles service include...How much $$$...Is it something that joe ryder cant do himself...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRider1959 View Post
    What does the 3000 miles service include...How much $$$...Is it something that joe ryder cant do himself...

~~~that information is in your owners manual. Do you own a Spyder or Ryker, you didn’t say. My 2021 RT series manual lists all of the recommended operations to be carried out on page 99
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    See this thread... apparently several folks like the lower pressure in the front tires of the 2020-21 RTL's...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ssure-Question

Admittedly, my front tire pressure has only been checked once, by myself the 2nd day of new ownership (August 3rd 2021). I’m riding a 2021 RT Limited. According to the tire pressure gauge I use which is a Topeka brand, model D2 Smartgauge, both my fronts were 20 lbs. each exactly. I’ve left them there and the steering and ride seem fine to me. That said I will recheck and lower each front tire to 18 lbs. as others have done, if the tires are still at 20 lbs. just to see if there is any improvement. FWIW the first time I rode my new to me Spyder RTL & this is the first Spyder I’ve ever owned, I made sure the short ride I did with it that day I forced the handlebars into an exaggerated left right, quick left right again, just to check out tire sidewall stiffness and IMO, yeah, the stock RT Kenda tires have a soft tire sidewall (IMNSHO) yet overall, these tires are fine for the use I’m likely to put them through. In fact, I like the way these tires ride and how they feel, on the mostly string straight roads I’ve ridden on

There is a series of roads I used to take my 2020 Ryker Rally on not far from my homestead where I could put that trike through its paces, so to speak, one of which of the streets/roads has a true 15 MPH hair pin corner say if you were to ride a conventional two wheeled motorcycle with. IOW if you tried to take that corner at 16 MPH, you would likely low side and run off the road, in a certain direction (taking this corner), and there’s little if any shoulder that has a barb wire fence (livestock) near the roadside that’s a cow field on the other side of the wire fence. When riding my Ryker Rally round this hairpin corner I’d routinely ride through it at a faster speed since I had the advantage of being on a sport trike such as the Rally is. I’m sure I’ll ride my RT through there eventually, at a far more sedate pace
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~that information is in your owners manual. Do you own a Spyder or Ryker, you didn’t say. My 2021 RT series manual lists all of the recommended operations to be carried out on page 99
    OK...Thanks for directing me to the owners manual...lol...Does the owners manual give the price for the service...lol...Does the owners manual say if you have to be a Phi-Beta-Kappa to be able to perform the the task...
    BTW...When a members user name is RykerRider1959...That means he's rollin a 1975 Widowmaker...lol...Thanks for your input...I think...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Really .....out of the 30 or so MILLION tire gauges out there at least some should match .....jmho .... Mike
    And he's off his meds again!
    REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

The 3000 mile service for the RT costs ~$250 at the dealer. It entails changing oil/filter and checking several items.
    Any decent backyard mechanic can do the job for the cost of the oil/filter.
    My '20 RT has not seen the dealer since purchased 15000 miles and 1 year ago. I trust my skills over many dealer's hacks. Problem is you don't know if you got a slug or a knowledgeable tech when you hand it off to someone else.

If the RT experiences a failure, it is still warrantied and I'll be forced to visit my dealer for the fix. If no failures, the dealer will see me at trade-in time!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I"ve never left a tire shop or a vehicle dealer with the correct (as in manual) tire pressure. I just check the next morning with my own gauge in the approximate air temp I'll be driving and or the type of driving or hauling I'll be doing. I have an electronic BMW car gauge that sounds off when the pressure is read. Kinda handy on the Sypders. Got it on amazon and is same gauge that came in my wife's car.

Spyder Garage

Wait till you get the rookie that only does 40# (standard at car shop last worked at)or whatever max value printed on tire.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights