Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RTL - OEM Front Tire Pressure Question

For those tire-savvy..
    Background:

2021 RTL
    When I drove the new baby off the dealer floor to home it was a little squirrely. The more I drove it the less squirrely it got and was a pleasure to drive...all the way to the 3000 mile maintenance at the dealer.
    We drive lots of curvy and twisty roads here.
    The maintenance tech told me the front tires were down about 1-1/2 pounds each and he aired them back up to 20... and the rear was down 1#...which he aired back to 28 .... the BRP recommended tire pressures. I just said ok... did not think too much about it at that moment.
    When I drove out, sure enough, here came the squirrely sensation again...felt like the tires were bouncing beach balls.
    I drove it like that a while... griping the whole time.... then one morning, at a cold start, lowered the fronts to 18.5 each.
    AHHHH...MUCH better....back to being a pleasure to drive. No more squirrely handling. Much more "planted" on the road. The road anomalies ceased to pull at the tires.

Question: Am I damaging these OEM front tires unnecessarily by keeping them 1.5# lower?
    I do plan to replace them with the car tires as soon as they begin to show significant wear signs, but not too soon I hope...now have 3430 miles on the odo.
    I keep an eye on the tire threads out here and appreciate the knowledge, experience, and comments offered.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default tire PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    For those tire-savvy..
    Background:

2021 RTL
    When I drove the new baby off the dealer floor to home it was a little squirrely. The more I drove it the less squirrely it got and was a pleasure to drive...all the way to the 3000 mile maintenance at the dealer.
    We drive lots of curvy and twisty roads here.
    The maintenance tech told me the front tires were down about 1-1/2 pounds each and he aired them back up to 20... and the rear was down 1#...which he aired back to 28 .... the BRP recommended tire pressures. I just said ok... did not think too much about it at that moment.
    When I drove out, sure enough, here came the squirrely sensation again...felt like the tires were bouncing beach balls.
    I drove it like that a while... griping the whole time.... then one morning, at a cold start, lowered the fronts to 18.5 each.
    AHHHH...MUCH better....back to being a pleasure to drive. No more squirrely handling. Much more "planted" on the road. The road anomalies ceased to pull at the tires.

Question: Am I damaging these OEM front tires unnecessarily by keeping them 1.5# lower?
    I do plan to replace them with the car tires as soon as they begin to show significant wear signs, but not too soon I hope...now have 3430 miles on the odo.
    I keep an eye on the tire threads out here and appreciate the knowledge, experience, and comments offered.
    Not in any real sense ..... On avg. Spyder tires will increase approx. 3 psi after about 5 to 10 miles as they heat up .... this is normal .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree, I do not like the way mine handled with 20psi in them. I lowered mine to 18 and love it now.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I run 18 in the front and 28 in the rear. That works best for me on my 2020RT. I did add the Baja Ron Sway bar after riding in the Ozarks for a week. Big improvement
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Yes, you do wonder what drives the CanAm “powers that be” in determining their published PSI. Is it for the most comfortable ride when taking a test ride? (I doubt it is this, as I have never found a demo Spyder running the recommended pressure……dealers can’t be bothered checking )……..Is it for the best longevity out of Kendas?……… Is it for the best handling? It would be very interesting to know the “key driver” on which CanAm base their recommendation.

In the meantime, I’ll give 18 a go on my new ‘21 RT……thanks for the comments above, men

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Both my fronts were at 17 psi this morning in the cool (~65F) basement garage. They sure handled fine today.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

F18
    r28
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT