Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking In

Spyder Garage

Default Checking In

Hey there! It's been a long time since I posted. Just wanted to let you know I was still alive. Hopelessly out of date, haven't toured in some time, but still riding and still twisting wrenches.

Hopelessly out of date: I have to admit that I have never even ridden a 1330, and never even sat on a Ryker. Still stuck in the V-twin era. Nancy traded her PE-GS on a Polaris Ranger 500 a couple of years back, after 10 years of ownership. No problems, and she still loved it, but it didn't get along with her advancing arthritis. Still rides pillion behind me and occasionally steals my RT. That's fair, I swiped her GS plenty before I got my own Spyder. The UTV suits our needs on these 23 acres quite well. Better than packing a chainsaw into the woods by hand. I'm still riding my 2011 RT-S. Only about 45K on the clock, we haven't been able to tour for some time. Building the log house occupied us for awhile, then Nancy's mother needed care up until she passed away a few years back. After that Nancy's elderly and legally blind father came to live with us. He's weeks away from turning 95. No particular trouble to care for, but doesn't like to be left alone more than a few hours, and never overnight. I still have the RT622 trailer and it gets occasional use, but not much without our touring ways. The Aspen Sentry popup camper gets use once or twice a year, though it would be more fun camping if Nancy could also spend the night. The custom, 1-rail motorcycle trailer gets regular use hauling vintage bikes to area shows and and cruise-ins.

I'm still playing with the vintage bikes and cars. I have a 1939 BSA WD-M20 military bike on the restoration stand now. Delivered to the War Department in London in October 1939, it is a real survivor. Delivered to me in several crates and boxes and pickup loads, it's been a real puzzle, but is taking shape. Covid slowed the project considerably, hard to get parts or services these days, and virtually impossible during the height of the pandemic and shut-downs. Newest bike in the fleet is a 1966 Honda CL160, a 1-year model. All original, as I prefer them. Obtained it from a good friend of mine. He was already storing it in my garage.

As to the rest of life, I'm currently being treated for metastatic throat cancer. Not fun, I'm now halfway through my weekly chemo and 1/3 through my daily radiation. Could be worse, the common garden variety of this particular cancer would be considered Stage IV and have only a 20-25% survival rate. This viral version is much more treatable, considered to be Stage I and has about an 85% survival with both chemo and radiation. Unfortunately inoperable, so we had to do it the hard way. I have a feeding tube and a port, but won't have to breathe through a stoma (tracheotomy) or talk with an electronic box. My friends have been incredibly supportive. Many of them were made through SpyderLovers, and several are still riding Spyders. Hard to beat a technology that created such bonds and has endured so well. I'm extremely grateful. Nancy is doing well, considering she lives with me and her father...and has put on a few miles as well.

So that about sums it up. My very best goes out to Lamonster for creating and operating this forum, and to all my old friends and acquaintances. Enjoy the Ryde!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sending many, many ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great to see you post again, wish you the best with the treatments.

Spyder Garage

Welcome Back !
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Scotty, great hearing from you again and wishing you the best with your recovery.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Welcome Back!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Welcome back Scotty.

Thanks so much for the update. Our thoughts and prayers go with you on your cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Glad to hear you are still keeping up with your hobbies.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Great to hear from you!!!! Recover quickly old friend!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default checking in

Scotty,

I have often thought of you as I pass through Allegan. So good to hear that you are alive and surviving. My prayers to you for a complete recovery. When you are feeling the need for a ride I am only a phone call and 45 minutes away. I'll let you ride my F3T

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Great to read your post. I am praying for a full recovery on your cancer treatments. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Great you dropped by! Ann says hello! She took to riding, and now has over 300,000 miles under her belt! So glad you are still kicking, and twirling wrenches. All the best, Joe and Ann Meyer
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know you Scotty, but prayers going out. Man, you have a lot of posts out there, so hang in with us.

Spyder Garage

Al,

You are welcome to stop by anytime, though I go to Holland for treatment early every day and am tied up in chemo the entire day the first day of the week. I'd love to see you, may even take you up on that ride.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

So glad to hear from you! Always enjoyed reading your posts back when I first joined this forum. I'm sending many good thoughts and prayers your way...

Gina J

Spyder Garage

Prayers to you Scotty. Good to hear from you after all these years. I just re- appeared here a couple weeks ago myself after a five year absence. Contemplating another Spyder to end my riding career on. Probably an F3 of some sort.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Prayers to you Scotty. Good to hear from you after all these years. I just re- appeared here a couple weeks ago myself after a five year absence. Contemplating another Spyder to end my riding career on. Probably an F3 of some sort.
    Welcome back to you also. F3 is a good one. I finally got converted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Scotty; good to hear from you. I remember when you started your house and posted pics as well as great pics of your bikes. When you feel up to it, would love to see some pics of the '39 Bsa, crates and all. Get well soon. You've been missed.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Many Prayers

Sending you many Prayers. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Doing well, slowly healing. All through with radiation and chemo for about a month now. We won't know if it worked until the PET scan in January, but the tumor in my throat is gone. Still a lump on the lymph node but that might be scar tissue. I hope so, surgery would be tricky and dangerous, with the lymph node sitting on the carotid artery. I'm eating again, though nothing tastes good yet. Only taking about 20% through the feeding tube for supplemental nourishment. Still losing weight.

Trying to get things set for winter. Snow forecast for the weekend. I have the new snow pusher blade on the tractor and the mower deck off. Have to dig out the snowblower today. I'll ride the bikes into town to top off with gas, drain some of them, and top off and stabilize the old cars. That will get us through the winter. One last Spyder ride in order if I can manage my time. I haven't ridden much this year, after the cancer diagnosis in May.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Nice to hear from old friends.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Doing well, slowly healing. All through with radiation and chemo for about a month now. We won't know if it worked until the PET scan in January, but the tumor in my throat is gone. Still a lump on the lymph node but that might be scar tissue. I hope so, surgery would be tricky and dangerous, with the lymph node sitting on the carotid artery. I'm eating again, though nothing tastes good yet. Only taking about 20% through the feeding tube for supplemental nourishment. Still losing weight.

Trying to get things set for winter. Snow forecast for the weekend. I have the new snow pusher blade on the tractor and the mower deck off. Have to dig out the snowblower today. I'll ride the bikes into town to top off with gas, drain some of them, and top off and stabilize the old cars. That will get us through the winter. One last Spyder ride in order if I can manage my time. I haven't ridden much this year, after the cancer diagnosis in May.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Nice to hear from old friends.
    Thanks for the up-date and continued sending many ................Mike

Spyder Garage

Sending prayers

Glad to hear there has been some progress. Many, many cancer survivors our there.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

That’s great! Don’t be a stranger! All the best, Joe and Ann
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hope that your recovery continues. Would love to get out for a ride with you next spring if your so inclined.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Praying for You

Prayers are sent to you. ...........
    Thanks for your time.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Don’t know how I missed this post back in September but I was happy to read it. Sad however to read about your medical problems. Do not despair… my wife, Penny was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in 2016 but beat it and survived. We celebrated by buying her a new RTS last year.

Back in the day, when you were on this board frequently, we posted as “double trouble” but rejoined under our real names.

Once again, good to hear from you Scotty. I vividly remember the week by week posts of you building your new home in the wilds of Michigan.

Regards,
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)