Spyder Garage

Default Radiator Cleaning 2020RT

Has anyone successfully cleaned the radiators on a 2020RT? I tried using compressed air from the back of the radiator to push dirt and bugs out. It didn't do much. The fans cover most of the back of the radiator, so I am wonder if I need to take those off?
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Spyder grills are bug and leaf magnets. PIA to remove debris and clean. The name of the BRP engineer who designed them was Marquis de sade.
    If anyone finds an easy way to clean them please post.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had the same problem on my 2020, I squirted some car wash in from the front to allow bugs/debris to soften, then come in from the back side with some water pressure, repeat as necessary. After I got it clean to satisfaction, I installed grills, now that takes some patience.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Had the same problem on my 2020, I squirted some car wash in from the front to allow bugs/debris to soften, then come in from the back side with some water pressure, repeat as necessary. After I got it clean to satisfaction, I installed grills, now that takes some patience.
    Did it stop the problem with the bugs?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, no more in the fins, easy job to get to the grills if they need a bug clean. Anything that might get through the fins, and I haven't found anything yet, can be cleaned with some water pressure from the rear I would think. Yeah, grills is doing the job for me. Could I have continued without the grills? Sure, just makes life easier with the grills. Love bugs in FL is this month, so we shall see how it goes. If they re out big time, I usually don't do much riding. Those things are a nightmare especially if ya don't clean them off promptly after the ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by upsdoctor View Post
    Has anyone successfully cleaned the radiators on a 2020RT? I tried using compressed air from the back of the radiator to push dirt and bugs out. It didn't do much. The fans cover most of the back of the radiator, so I am wonder if I need to take those off?
    Be very careful using any type compressed air or pressure washer. The fins are thin and bend over easily causing worst problem than the bugs. You can use hydrogen peroxide/water mix to spray on and soften (decompose) the bug particles so they can be rinsed out with a garden hose. Also several products you can find at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc that do the same thing.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Ed, I should have mentioned that, I just use the regular garden hose with light pressure.

Spyder Garage

Bill.. which vendor did you purchase the grills from?
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can-Am Spyder Accessories, the Canadian guy, not cheap, $130 for both sides. There are other vendors on this forum that sell them. I think Value Accessories, maybe SpyderPops, or Lamonster. I've been satisfied with Spyder Accessories, but you might want to explore others. Be cautions with the installation, they have a tendency to bend if forced, try and find a You Tube that shows the install, might help.

Spyder Garage

Can-Am Spyder Accessories, the Canadian guy, not cheap, $130 for both sides. There are other vendors on this forum that sell them. I think Value Accessories, maybe SpyderPops, or Lamonster. I've been satisfied with Spyder Accessories, but you might want to explore others. Be cautions with the installation, they have a tendency to bend if forced, try and find a You Tube that shows the install, might help.
    Got mine last week from Lamonster. Not that bad a job to install
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I should have added that the version of cleaner that I prefer is SeaFoam Bugs B Gone
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I spray the bugs with solvent to soften the bugs then rinse with garden hose till clean. I'm not a fan of grill guards with smaller holes to stop bugs and air flow.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was concerned about air flow as well. I had a conversation with two tech's about it, they both felt it was perfectly OK. I've had my grills installed for 4K miles now, the heat indicator has not wavered from before the grills were installed. I am comfortable with them. If there comes a time when I'm not, I'll remove them immediately.

Spyder Garage

For the 2020-21 RTL:

Has anyone purchased the grilles that have the pattern of the spyder body cut out in the grille?
    I see these for sale on canamspyderaccessories.com. (Pierre... in Quebec)

If so, does the hole that forms the body of the spyder let in a lot of bugs/debris... thus having to remove the grille and clean behind it a lot?
    I'm trying to avoid doing this very often.

Thanks...
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Installing those grills are not simple and easy, at least they were not for me. I would not want to be removing and reinstalling.

Spyder Garage

Installing those grills are not simple and easy, at least they were not for me. I would not want to be removing and reinstalling.
    Bill... did you get the all-mesh grilles... similar to the Kott grilles? No spyder body or RT symbols on them?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got the grills with RT cutouts, but the 'air distance' in the openings are no larger that than the 'air distance' in the grills. One exception, the 'long distance in the R & T will be larger, but I don't see that as a bug problem. Last time I used the led 'light' from the front, it looked nice and clean in there, including the rad fins. Now, if I was concerned, I'd just use a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide through the back side to loosen the bug bodies, or whatever, and give it a 'light' garden hose pressure from the rear to blow the parts out.

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops KOTT Grilles were one of the first three farkles I added to my Spyder the weekend I brought it home. IMO, the Kott Grilles do the best job of keeping bugs out of the radiators. I've removed mine three times in 74K miles to clean out the few critters that made it to the radiator fins. Again IMO, the grills with a large spider on them or large RT look nice but the holes in them are larger than the KOTT Grilles, ergo, they're going to allow more bugs past. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up on your comment, let us not forget air flow which I don't think is a problem. The choices are out there, get grill and pop it in, I say don't over think it, bugs are a hassle. Especially here in sunny Florida, September is love bug month, I can tell you, those things are a mess if you don't have something to keep them out of the rad fins.

Spyder Garage

I too went with the KOTT grills for the same reason. The stamped grills look nice but have bigger openings. In 15k miles, I had to take them off once to remove an Ohio cicada that found a way past the KOTT to the radiator fins. There is a gap where the painted blades stick past the grills.

I also installed the small KOTTs in the upper fairing vents. Was yet another place to vacuum leaves into the vast inners of the RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

After looking at the price of the Kott grills and seeing they were a hassle to install , I purchased hardware cloth which is basically a screen with larger holes and more rigid than screen. Made some cardboard cutouts and cut the grill guards out and used some small zip ties to hold em in. Easy Peary and it definitely catches the bugs.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black