Thread: Air bag failure

Spyder Garage

Default Air bag failure

August 31, 2021

For the past week or so I have had the SUSPENSION FAILURE light on the dash with the exclamation point. I looked up the code and it read C210A...From what I hear it is a very popular code. I took it to my Spyder dealer this morning. ( East Coast Cycle Center, Bensalem, Pa. ) and they took the bike apart and put on the Bud tester. They found there was a leak in the airbag and so they had to order a new one, under warranty of course. I also got my 3,000 mile service while there. We still have the stereo going on and off by itself so when the airbag comes in they will check out the audio to see what is wrong. He did mention that the F3 Spyders are a lot easier to service due to the lesser amount of Tupperware. He is right there.
    They were very kind to take me right in when I came this morning. One thing is for sure, all the dealers are backed up on service and the ability to get parts. This seems to be all over the country. Nothing new, right ?

Motogordo
    I was also looking at phone holders for the Sea to Sky for handlebar mounting. I am down to two choices. Quadlock and the Ram Xmount. Any preferences ? I have heard good reports on both.

Spyder Garage

to save time I would think they could work on the stereo while waiting for parts. I have had the X Mount and it worked well, held the phone tight enough not to slip.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I keep my phone in the trunk because I refuse to use it when riding, even if the War Department calls.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    August 31, 2021

For the past week or so I have had the SUSPENSION FAILURE light on the dash with the exclamation point. I looked up the code and it read C210A...From what I hear it is a very popular code. I took it to my Spyder dealer this morning. ( East Coast Cycle Center, Bensalem, Pa. ) and they took the bike apart and put on the Bud tester. They found there was a leak in the airbag and so they had to order a new one, under warranty of course. I also got my 3,000 mile service while there. We still have the stereo going on and off by itself so when the airbag comes in they will check out the audio to see what is wrong. He did mention that the F3 Spyders are a lot easier to service due to the lesser amount of Tupperware. He is right there.
    They were very kind to take me right in when I came this morning. One thing is for sure, all the dealers are backed up on service and the ability to get parts. This seems to be all over the country. Nothing new, right ?

Motogordo
    I was also looking at phone holders for the Sea to Sky for handlebar mounting. I am down to two choices. Quadlock and the Ram Xmount. Any preferences ? I have heard good reports on both.
    " they took the bike apart " ...... to use " BUDS " they needed to plug it in to the electrical connection ..... If they claimed they had to " take the bike apart " .... they were lying..... good luck with that dealer .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sept 1 , 2021

Many times I keep my phone in the rear trunk where I made a holder for it. I plug it into the usb connector there and set the bluetooth and listen to music and phone calls with my Jabra25 bluetooth wireless earphone.

Spyder Garage

Sept 1, 2021

The dealer did plug in the Bud in the frunk. No problem there. Inspected the air bag and found the leak and so they ordered a new one under warranty.

Spyder Garage

I'm having some airbag issues on my 2014 RTS. Curious to know though------ was the leak in the airbag itself OR at one of the connections????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

QUESTIONS....
    Should I be able to hear the compressor, or is it too quiet to be heard over the engine? I understand it doesn't turn on until the engine is running....correct?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Sept 5, 2021

The service department said the leak was in the airbag itself and not the connections.

Spyder Garage

I'll be starting on changing my system from auto ( and leaking ) to manual ( no electronics, compressor, dump valve ,ect.) tomorrow am. Many here have done this. As with electronics--- many problems are at connections. This air bag system has many connections. I plan to eliminate all but 2---- the bag and the Schrader valve.

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

You'll be a happier man, with a fatter wallet!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    QUESTIONS....
    Should I be able to hear the compressor, or is it too quiet to be heard over the engine? I understand it doesn't turn on until the engine is running....correct?
    It depends on how good your ear are!! But you should feel the bike raise and lower. And yes the motors got to be running and in gear! Are you having troubles with your air ride?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Me too! I have it plugged into a USB port and tuned to iHeartRadio or Willys roadhouse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It depends on how good your ear are!! But you should feel the bike raise and lower. And yes the motors got to be running and in gear! Are you having troubles with your air ride?
    No troubles that I know of, I'm just not hearing it and not feeling the rise, but have never bottomed out, even with a passenger.
    You added, when it's in gear. I'll take note of that next time I fire 'er up. Thanks.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

No troubles that I know of, I'm just not hearing it and not feeling the rise, but have never bottomed out, even with a passenger.
    You added, when it's in gear. I'll take note of that next time I fire 'er up. Thanks.
    Trust me if your system was not running and that bag runs out of air, YOU WILL KNOW IT!! Ask me how I know that Next to putting a shaft drive on the RT, putting a good shock in the rear and get rid of the air bag would be my choice of gear, if I had my way, and it may happen before I am done with the old girl.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I'll be starting on changing my system from auto ( and leaking ) to manual ( no electronics, compressor, dump valve ,ect.) tomorrow am. Many here have done this. As with electronics--- many problems are at connections. This air bag system has many connections. I plan to eliminate all but 2---- the bag and the Schrader valve.

Lew L
    UPDATE:

All done---- Far too simple. If you ever have an air bag problem it may very well be one of the MANY connections ( one of which is a swivel) that leaking which over works the compressor ( causing it to fail) The actual job is easy--- removing and re-installing all the tupperware on the right side is half the job.

Yes Mikey-----I'm a happy man with a $600 fatter wallet
    Last edited by Lew L; 09-06-2021 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Speeling

Spyder Garage

If it's anything like my RT, then I think you'll find it's 'Engine Running; In Gear; & Park Brake OFF' before the ACS will do its thing!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Compressor bypass completed

UPDATE:

All done---- Far too simple. If you ever have an air bag problem it may very well be one of the MANY connections ( one of which is a swivel) that leaking which over works the compressor ( causing it to fail) The actual job is easy--- removing and re-installing all the tupperware on the right side is half the job.

Yes Mikey-----I'm a happy man with a $600 fatter wallet
    Update #2:

Pressure and height measurement holding for 36 hours. Leak ( causing compressor burnout) must have been at one of the many connections.

Spyder Garage

Update #2:

Pressure and height measurement holding for 36 hours. Leak ( causing compressor burnout) must have been at one of the many connections.
    Years ago, I noticed our compressor running a lot more than normal. Myself, I inspected all the connections for leakage, and none were found. What I did find was the inexpensive check valve had become contaminated and no longer sealed.

The leak was not external at the fittings, but rather internal as the pressurized air would bleed back through the check valve, then flow reverse through the compressor when the compressor was off / not running.

I removed the check valve, and inspected it. As expected it was no longer sealing. I upgraded the oem check valve from brass to an identical check valve, from the same supplier BRP uses, to a check valve that was stainless steel.

We did not have a compressor failure, so doing this myself, and finding the stainless check valve was a simple low cost change. The stainless check valve, I actually found 2 as overstock on Amazon, cost me around $25 for two. Others have requested the stainless check valve part number, done years ago, those records are buried away or discarded.