Spyder Garage

Default Decisions Decisions...need some advice

So, I own a 08 GS, 19K+ miles, and love it. I'm thinking of making a change to something newer. My thought is to either go with an RT, or, F3. I enjoy riding, and my Spyder has helped me make that possible after suffering a severe brain injury in 2001. I'm 6'1", 205lbs , and 56 years old.
    So, I'm looking for the pros and cons front RT and F3 owners, with regards to my height and weight, to see if any owners of either model are close to my specs.
    Upgrading would assist me in a more relaxed ride, with the possibilities of multi day trips.
    Thanks in advance!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Ride both, and see what fits you best. Me, I fit on the RT better. I’m 6’2” and much heavier. Better seat position for me. Good luck! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I’m 6’ 3” 220 and find the F3 fits me better. Everyone’s different, the only way is to ride both.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

You haven't said what you want to do with the new Spyder. If you want to tour, the RT is the better choice IMO. As Joe said, ride both, test ride the hell out of them and make your own choice. I'm about 6'3" but a lightweight, have ridden both and prefer the RT because touring is my bag. If the Spyder isn't comfortable for YOU, you'll not have as much fun and you may dislike is so much that you may force yourself into another purchase or it will become a garage queen.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'm 6' 2" long legs and about 220. I have owned 2 RTS, a 2012 and a 2015. On both I just felt cramped, no room to stretch my legs and I felt not connected to the bike since it sat me more on top of the bike. Then I switched to a 2017 F3 Limited and love it. I got my floorboards moved to position #5, so no discomfort with my legs as I can now move them around. Also now on the F3 Limited I feel connected to the bike as I now sit in the bike. My ride prior to going to 3 wheels was 2 wheels on a cruiser and the F3 just felt more like what I used to ride. It has almost the same luggage capacity as the RT does to boot. So long trips are not a problem.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Long time Harley rider, so for me the F3 was the way to go. I just recently finished a 3600+ mile / 2 week trip on it and loved every minute of it. Except for the last 3 days of ~100 degree weather.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

The F3 is closer to the 08 GS you have been riding...BUT MUCH MORE REFINED.

I started with an 08 GS, Then three RT's, and now two F3L's.

I am very happy with the F3's. As mentioned above, test drive if you can. We are all different.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Agree with all the advice given above, Test drive both RT and F3, for me there's no choice, I like the F3s best, it's a cruiser, but also a beast who wants to go...
    RT is the cadillac, for long trips, F3 for more spirited driving, but also capable for long trips, especially the limited, I have the hard shad, removable sidecases on the spyder, and they hold everthing and a bit more for long trips

You sit on top of the rt, f3 tucks you more in, but again, drive em, and decide then...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The F3 is closer to the 08 GS you have been riding...BUT MUCH MORE REFINED.

I started with an 08 GS, Then three RT's, and now two F3L's.

I am very happy with the F3's. As mentioned above, test drive if you can. We are all different.
    I like this answer! But then, I'm not the one buying a new Spyder....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

As stated already, try to test ride both if possible. I'm 6'0" 190lbs and I found the RT to be my best fit over the F3 after testing each. I like the ability to move my feet forward or back(under my butt like a sport-tourer) during long days on the road. The F3 is a 'cruiser' whereas the RT can be either and offers more creature comforts.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Big thanks to all for the incredible response and awesome information.
    To clear things up..I'm leaning towards a more relaxed seating position, the ability to ride for more than just two to three hours like I am limited to with my GS, and to update my ryde with some of the newer advances that Can Am introduced since 2008.
    The one "obstacle" I have is the inability to compare the RT to the F3 unless the demo rides are done within a few days of each other. The reason being is my memory for new information is limited to 4 to 5 days, the result of a traumatic brain injury in 2001. So, ideally, I would need to ride each model on the same day to get a sense of each models pros and cons.
    I would never be in the position I am in, considering upgrading, if it wasn't for this incredible site and the truly awesome folks who really do care about each other. While some of us have opted for a Spyder or Ryker based on style, personal appeal, ease of operation etc, other, like me..and thankfully a much smaller group, have been granted a new lease on ryding. Thanks to Can Am.
    I am forever grateful for being introduced to the Spyder. Because when I'm ryding, I just am so friggin thankful and happy to be alive.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

I was heading to buy an RTL, but when I got on one, I immediately got off. It was a terrible fit and I was very disappointed. Sitting next to the RT was an F3L, so just for giggles, I got on it. Wow - a great fit for me. You sit IN an F3 and ON an RT. It tested it and I bought it. But wait, there's more!

It turns out the F3L is light years easier to work on and maintain that an RT. Far less Tupperware makes tasks go faster. That's important to me as I do all my own maintenance and mods. I follow this forum almost daily and there are often posts that make me glad I got the F3L. There's no accounting for taste and many, maybe yourself, will like an RT better.

The F3s suspension is tighter and with a lower CofG, it corners high on the fun meter. A Bajaron sway bar still supplies a huge improvement thought. As do car tires.

If you plan on doing your own maintenance, talk with someone who has worked on both models. That should give you some good insight.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

love my f3t . i am 5'6" 245 lbs 66 years
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

I,m about your size and traded in my 09GS with 35,000 miles for my F3 sm6 and Love It- But try both!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

The F3 exposes the rider to more of the elements, wind, rain, bugs..... The RT less..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The F3 exposes the rider to more of the elements, wind, rain, bugs..... The RT less..... Jim
    If you are talking about the stock windshield that comes with the F3T & L, you are correct. Add a larger w/s and it's match.

DSCN2869.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome