Spyder Garage

Default Spyder weak horn - Fix

So the Spyder OEM horn is weak! In June of 2020 we bought a new Ford Edge ST and people on that forum point out that Ford had gone from dual horns to a single one in 2019. They provide part number for the earlier dual horn, so I did that upgrade.

A week for so ago I got the old Ford horn out and dug the sealer off the tone adjustment screw and adjusted it to a deeper tone. Yesterday I installed it parallel to the Spyder horn as as both are two lead horns and do not use mounting bolt as the ground circuit. Light Blue is the +12V and grey is the negative lead. The result is that my Spyder now how a nice loud harmonizing note when the dual horn is honked.

The horn is supplied +12v all the time via the Horn Load Shedding 25amp fuse, and honks when the horn button provides the ground circuit.

I will not get into the nasty details of the installation, as it is not easy. I will say the OEM wire leads are female spade lugs that push onto male spades on the horn. I made up a harness on the Ford horn that had male spades to except the Spyder wiring and had a pigtail with female spades to plug into the OEM horn. So I did not have to alter the Spyders wiring. Plug and play! Honk Honk!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Kind of cool to read that someone else accomplished their own setup, vs buying the same as so many others.

FWIW, many years ago, got Cadillac dual horns from the junkyard. On our 2014 RTS, the retrofit was not bad. As for effectiveness and tone, seems pretty good and the $5 cost was acceptable.