Spyder Garage

Default 2021 F3L Exhaust

Ok, I know this information is probably ‘somewhere’, but after searching for 15 minutes, I’m throwing in the towel and simply asking.

I removed/added the Cat delete pipe about a month ago, and while I still get swamp fanny fairly quickly, it’s not a bad a previously. (Located in Houston, where temps are in the mid to upper 90’s and pretty darn humid!)

Now I’m ready to upgrade my muffler. I would like to find something with a deeper sound, as opposed to the higher, crouch rocket sound. I’m used to the V-twin from our Harley, but do know this is a totally different engine/set up.

I have done some research, but just about everything I hear is still on the higher pitch sounding end of the spectrum. Do I just need to get used to this ‘new’ sound or is there something out there a bit closer to what I prefer?
    Thanks for you input!!

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    Ultimate Backrest, Bottle Holder, Baja Ron Sway bar, Cat Delete Pipe, Freedom Windshield, Highway brackets/Black Demond pegs, Upgraded Tension Roller, FOBO Tire Pressure Monitor
    TricLED:
    Sequential LED Spyder Fender Lights, Run/Brake/Turn Strobe Light Kit, Brake flasher
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon:
    Ciro phone holder/mount, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn/Wiring Kit, Short Reach Handlebar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

go to the rls delete with the stock can youll like it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2katz View Post
    .......Now I’m ready to upgrade my muffler. I would like to find something with a deeper sound, as opposed to the higher, crouch rocket sound. I’m used to the V-twin from our Harley, but do know this is a totally different engine/set up.

I have done some research, but just about everything I hear is still on the higher pitch sounding end of the spectrum. Do I just need to get used to this ‘new’ sound or is there something out there a bit closer to what I prefer?
    Thanks for you input!!
    There's no way that ANY EXHAUST or Cat Delete that you could fit onto one of these Rotax motors (the 1330's OR the 998 V-Twins!) will EVER make it sound much like a Harley V-twin - they are just too different!!

Sure, things like installing a cat delete or changing the can on the end of the exhaust can vary the exhaust note a little & maybe even give the noise a little more of a throaty sound (the RLS Cat Eliminator is good for that ) but the high compression relatively busy shortish stroke Rotax Triples or the even higher revving Rotax V-twins just aren't designed nor can be operated the same way as the Harley V-Twins, so they will never give you the same sort of noise or even anything that's got anywhere near the same thump...
    They just can't do it, so I guess you'll hafta get used to the new & different sound from a new & very different machine!
    Maybe you can even learn to enjoy the differences?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

THAT, Sir, indeed answers my question. I’ll have to learn to like the new sound that comes with the 1330 Rotax engine and related exhaust system. Thanks much!!!

2021 F3L Black/Chrome
    LAMonster:
    Ultimate Backrest, Bottle Holder, Baja Ron Sway bar, Cat Delete Pipe, Freedom Windshield, Highway brackets/Black Demond pegs, Upgraded Tension Roller, FOBO Tire Pressure Monitor
    TricLED:
    Sequential LED Spyder Fender Lights, Run/Brake/Turn Strobe Light Kit, Brake flasher
    SlingMods:
    Chrome Luggage Rack
    Pedal Commander
    Spyder Accessories.com:
    Tank Pad
    Amazon:
    Ciro phone holder/mount, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn/Wiring Kit, Short Reach Handlebar

Spyder Garage

Default You CAN have a deep exhaust sound

Quote Originally Posted by 2katz View Post

Now I’m ready to upgrade my muffler. I would like to find something with a deeper sound, as opposed to the higher, crouch rocket sound. I’m used to the V-twin from our Harley, but do know this is a totally different engine/set up.

Thanks for you input!!
    My wife, who came from Houston, burst out laughing when I read her your description of the seat discomfort you are experiencing - swamp fanny indeed!

Have you tried a sheep skin? They certainly work well for us in Arizona, in the dry and monsoon seasons.

As for the exhaust sound I can assure you that you can get a deep sound to your exhaust without it being loud. You can also have it loud if you like.

The size and construction of the exhaust "can" affects the volume or loudness. The smaller the can, the less sound absorbing material they put in, the louder it will be.

The tone of the sound, whether it is deep or high or nasal or "pfuffing" depends on the design of the outlet area.

For example, if you substituted the cat-delete pipe then your bike, with the standard exhaust, will be louder but have a possibly unpleasant-to-you, "nasal" sound to it. Why? Because the air and the "sound" exit through two small diameter pipes at the end of the muffler. (Small diameter meaning 1 3/8")

If you like the deep, quiet rumble of a Termignoni on a Ducati or an Akrapovic on a SPYDER you will get that by choosing an exhaust muffler which has a single, large outlet around 1 5/8" in diameter (or larger) on the end of a similar sized pipe around 8" long. In other words, you can't just have an outlet or hole in the end, it needs to be connected to a pipe around 8" long which is normally hidden inside the muffler. This gives it the "deep" sound

Akrapovics do this a little differently but the effect is similar on a single exit hole muffler. Remember, any muffler, even an Akrapovic which has one or more outlet holes under 1 5/8" is going to sound "nasal."

I hope this helps.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid