Spyder Garage

Default coming from ryker to RT

im about ready to start searching for a new base RT, im coming from a ryker and want more comfort.. I only ride solo, but want to be able to bring the kids along when they get older (wife too anxious to come for a ride)... I dont do long distance trips but I ride year round in NY.. I dont know if any of you did the same and im curious of the difference.. the ryker beats you up on the bumps and honestly is not good on the highway, it has plenty of power but just is not comfortable.. im about 50/50 in the twisties and ont he highway, I know the RT is a great machine to rack up the miles, im curious how it is in the twisties compared to a ryker..... I swapped to rally shocks and added a baja ron sway bar. is the spyder better, worse, the same in 30-60 mph twisty roads compared to the ryker? I wish I could borrow one for a day to see for myself.

2021 Sea to Sky
    2020 600 , gloss black

Spyder Garage

I push my '20 RT Base pretty hard in the twisties. Like the Ryker, the RT needs upgraded suspenders and shoes to get thru the curves at break-neck speeds. But the creature comforts on the long or cold days can't be beat with the RT. The F3 is still a major upgrade from the Ryker as well. Just a little more sporty and less frontal protection than the RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I've never driven a Ryker, but I'm on my 2nd RTL. first a 2015, and now a 2020. This machine was built for touring. Put a Baja Ron sway bar and some good car tires on one and you won't look back! You can't pry mine out from under me!!
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

This is my opinion only. To make a comparison between Ryker and Spyder RT, I'll use a car comparison. We have a Fiat 500 Abarth and an Audi Q5. The Abarth is great for twisty roads at speed, but it is not an especially quiet, comfortable or roomy vehicle. It does what it was designed for rather well, as does the Ryker. The Audi on the other hand as an excellent comfortable, sophisticated, and refined touring vehicle, and even though it will hold its own on a winding road that isn't what it was designed for, much like the Spyder RT.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are used to riding the ryker, the RT spyder will diffinitely be a major upgrade in ride quality. But if you like the handling of the ryker, but want something a little more comfortable for riding 2 up, with a little storage, the F3T might be something to look into. It would ride and handle a little closer to the ryker, but have a pretty good ride (not like the RT though). Just something to think about. Happy hunting.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I Racer 83l

I advise you to rent for a day, or a weekend !

FlyBoy2121

Quote Originally Posted by racer83l View Post
    im about ready to start searching for a new base RT, im coming from a ryker and want more comfort.. I only ride solo, but want to be able to bring the kids along when they get older (wife too anxious to come for a ride)... I dont do long distance trips but I ride year round in NY.. I dont know if any of you did the same and im curious of the difference.. the ryker beats you up on the bumps and honestly is not good on the highway, it has plenty of power but just is not comfortable.. im about 50/50 in the twisties and ont he highway, I know the RT is a great machine to rack up the miles, im curious how it is in the twisties compared to a ryker..... I swapped to rally shocks and added a baja ron sway bar. is the spyder better, worse, the same in 30-60 mph twisty roads compared to the ryker? I wish I could borrow one for a day to see for myself.
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

I just traded my 2019 Ryker 900 ACE in on a used 2018 Spyder RT Limited for just the same reasons you’re considering. While my Ryker was a blast and we had some fun adventures together, I was just looking for a more refined, comfortable ride for both me and my little lady. In addition I wanted the extended storage space afforded by the Spyder.

One thing I noticed right off between the two is the Ryker has a much tighter turning radius than the Spyder. In tight areas where I could make a complete turn with the Ryker, I now had to include a little reverse action on my Spyder.

The ride between the two is the difference between night and day. Where I would feel every bump and crack in the road on my Ryker, the Spyder goes over with nary a notice. The dynamic power steering on the Spyder has taken quite a bit of strain off these old shoulders.

One aspect of ownership I am finally starting to remember is that on the Spyder I have to shift. I was so used to the Rykers twist and go throttle that when I first rode the Spyder I was probably red lining it until I remembered, “Oh yea, press the paddle”.

It’s nice that I don’t have to fire up my big, gas guzzling truck to run to the store for a few odds and ends when I can cruise over on my Spyder. I don’t think you will not be happy with your decision to upgrade.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2021 at 02:23 AM. Reason: than & quite ;-)
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

The transition will be like going from:

A sport bike to a Gold Wing.

A Chevy SS/427 to a Cadillac.

If you go to an F3 it will be like a Chevy SS /427 to a Jaguar.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I loved my 2012 RT sm5 in the Twisties because I could see farther around the next corner than my F3 being higher up. I say for that kind of $$$ Test Drive even if you have to travel a few hours.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

well, this past Thursday 10/7/2021 *- I traded in the Ryker 600 for a 2021 RT Sea To Sky.. not quite the base model I was looking at, but im glad I got the upgrades.. here is to many smiling miles on 3

2021 Sea to Sky
    2020 600 , gloss black

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the upgrade. Going from the least expensive model to the most expensive model is a great upgrade. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I purchased a 2019 Ryker 900 ACE in Jun of 2020. I thought it was a blast. Together we went on a number of adventures and I put about 12,000 miles on it the first year. I really never had any issues with running it on the freeways around here at 70-80 mph. I think the top speed I ever ran it was 103 mph. As you mentioned, it was a rocket off the line. But at 68 years young I found it to be pretty uncomfortable on long rides. I could handle an hour, maybe a little more before I had to get off and give my butt a break.

In Aug of this year I decided it was time to upgrade. After looking around I found a 2018 Spyder RT Limited at what I thought was a good price. The dealer offered me a fair trade in price, so I pulled the trigger. I have to admit, the difference between the two is apples and oranges.

I’m not saying the Spyder is better or worse then the Ryker, but they are two different machines for two different riding styles. I think the Spyder offers a more refined ride. As expected, its suspension is superior to that of the Ryker. Riding a bad road on the Ryker, you felt every bump in the road.

You sit much higher on the Spyder which I think increases to your visibility to other drivers. I especially like the Dynamic Power Steering of the Spyder. Makes handling the twisties so much easier. I remember feeling pretty wiped out after coming home from a spirited Ryker ride.

I live in a pretty rural area with the closest city being about a 45 mile ride. Sixty miles in I want to visit the “big city”. The cruise control on my Spyder really comes In handy on those long rides. My gas mileage on the Spyder is slightly better then on the Ryker but that may be due to the slightly larger fuel tank too.

Another big plus for my Spyder is the storage capacity. I can actually ride my Spyder to make trips to the store. With the Ryker I was lucky if I could carry a Subway Footlong and can of soda. But then again I think that’s not what the Ryker was designed for. When you buy a high performance sports car you don’t expect it to come with a large trunk.

My wife never did come for rides with me on my Ryker, she just never felt safe riding on it. The big backrest/truck on the Spyder dispelled any such concerns and she has gone out with my on a few rides, most recently one that was about 230 miles of freeway riding. She said she noticed a lot of things she never saw while riding in a car.

I still occasionally miss my Ryker, but I have no second guesses or regrets about purchasing my Spyder. I don’t believe you will be disappointed should you opt to upgrade.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

A little off topic, but I was wondering where abouts in LI do you live? I moved from Brooklyn to Valley Stream in about 1960 and lived there till I left to join the military in 1971.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

well, this past Thursday 10/7/2021 *- I traded in the Ryker 600 for a 2021 RT Sea To Sky.. not quite the base model I was looking at, but im glad I got the upgrades.. here is to many smiling miles on 3

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Couple comments...strictly my opinion which isnt worth 2c...

Strongly recommend finding some place to rent/try it for a day or maybe a weekend...and not
    just on the freeways....there is a very significant difference in cornering. We did a can-am
    weekend course to see if the spyder would be for us but all they had were rykers and it was
    great fun...then we got the spyder and found it is a fabulous machine but can be more difficult
    to control when cornering at posted speeds.

On the plus side (one of countless pluses) the folk on here have tried most if not all of the possible methods
    of improving handling and are a real wealth of knowledge and very helpful and encouraging.

Wish you the best with your new adventure!