Spyder Garage

Default VSS fault then Limp Mode, but goes away on restart?! Any ideas?

need help, my new 2021 rt limited less then 6000 miles and i keep getting this VSS fault code then it goes into limp home mode. if i shut the bke off and take out the key and wait until all the lights go out then restart the bike it may run fine for the rest of the day or it may only go a few miles and do it again. any suggestions? i have an appointment to have it looked at but thought i would just throw this out to see if anyone else is having same issue with theirs.
    just got my spyder the end of march and loving it

Spyder Garage

I have had the same problem, as have many others. As it turned out it was the brake switch. The brake switch will stick and if you add throttle before it unsticks itself, it will cause a VSS fault because it thinks that you have your foot on the brake and applying throttle. That's why it will clear itself if you turn your Spyder off. If you want more information from me please PM me. I'm from Sharon, Pa but live just over the border of PA in Ohio. Our club comes to Tionesta often.

John

Spyder Garage

Gentlemen I really could use your advise/opinion: I have a 2021 F3 Spyder SE6 with about 1024 miles. I have had the same problem occur 3 times and was able to reset with turning bike off and waiting about 5min, but the 4th time was the killer in went to full VSS Fault, limp mode and ABS and Check engine light flashing. Got it to dealer and a week later they have replaced the left front
    ABS sensor, cleared code and test drive...I pick up today they bring bike around and before it started it sat for about 5 minutes. I start bike and within 2 seconds get the warning alarm and VSS fault again...so after some head scratching they didn't want me to take bike home (good call on their part) and said they are going to call BRP tomorrow. To say the least I am not happy...I have spent a lot of time looking at other threads about the ABS and VSS Fault problem, but haven't found anything I can relay to the dealer....the brake switch seems like real possibility. Any thoughts??I am open to any ideas, suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Just being the VSS & abs definitely a sensor or abs unit itself. Dealer should be able to find. Always good double check clean battery connections as well. (Probably/hopefully dealer is checking)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Please read this and I describe how to clean the brake/ brake light switch. The parking brake has nothing to do with the VSS error. Check your codes too. Different series of spider but I’m guessing its the same darn switch setup.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...0040-and-C006C

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Guys thanks for the advice..The code the dealer orig. got was c0031 LF speed sensor....spoke with Service Mgr today and they have a case number with BRP and have sent them a BUDS report at their request....SM was talking about the code being back with the new sensor....so I am in a holding pattern until BRP responds...plus I mentioned the brake light switch to the SM and he seem genuinely interested and said he would have the tech check...Hopefully they can resolve, been going since 8/25...really would like to be riding..thanks again will keep you all updated if I get anything useful.

Spyder Garage

Here is follow up to service problem,,,still am without bike and no eta on repair. Dealer still not heard from BRP, service manager out sick and no one else can seem to talk to BRP, email only. I emailed BRP cares this week and have not gotten a reply. I am thinking about picking up bike and start looking for another service center or private party. I was in the auto repair business and never treated a customer with such a I don’t care attitude. I am beginning to regret my purchase. Anyone that can help would be appreciated, thanks

Spyder Garage

Ok, if anyone is still following along,....my Spyder is still in the shop, but closer to being repaired....They tell me the VCM (vehicle control module) is bad...that's the good news, the bad news is the part is on back order...I have done some calling to other part supplies and have been told the same thing....so I am still in a holding pattern...this has been going on since 8/25...I am not sure this was a good purchase at this point and not sure how long this machine will stay in my garage.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 F3S special series with about 2600 miles on it, and I got a VSS fault after a spirited ride on curvy road. My bike went into limp mode, the bike had 2 codes C006C and C0063.... the Yaw Sensor and Steering. I shut the bike down, let it sit for for a lil bit, cranked it up & the code cleared. Took it for a spin and it ran fine...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2021 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Yah = Yaw ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just a quick update: I finally got a reply from BRP.care (Florence)...it took two emails to get a reply, but she was very polite and did look into the case number and speak with the dealer and did a dealer part search, but we are no closer to a repair as the VCM module will not be available until 10/6...so my bike sits collecting dust at the dealer. Hopefully when I call Florence on the 10/6 the part will be available. I am willing to pay for overnight shipping or do anything I can to expedite the part,.....

Spyder Garage

The continuing saga of the VCM unit.....Part is now on backorder until 10/21/21...I have spoken with the BRP cares line both though email and by phone. No one has one other than a used one I found on Ebay...interesting fact I found out looking for the part is that the VCM part number is the same across the entire onroad BRP line....After repair I am seriously thinking about going back to two wheels, a Japanese bike...I am going to lose a bundle, but everything I have read since having this problem says this is not a isolated incident....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hank573 View Post
    The continuing saga of the VCM unit.....Part is now on backorder until 10/21/21...I have spoken with the BRP cares line both though email and by phone. No one has one other than a used one I found on Ebay...interesting fact I found out looking for the part is that the VCM part number is the same across the entire onroad BRP line....After repair I am seriously thinking about going back to two wheels, a Japanese bike...I am going to lose a bundle, but everything I have read since having this problem says this is not a isolated incident....

Surely it can't be that much of a problem, cos there's simply not all that many threads on VCM failures here... are there a heap more elsewhere that NO-ONE here knows about, cos no-one seems to have commented to that effect?!?

AFAIK, there's almost no discussion here or elsewhere referring to VCM failures, unlike the number of threads there are talking about VSS errors caused by riding the brake pedal or of late, dodgy brake switches; then there's all those threads on dodgy wheel alignments; quite a few on stripped front sprockets; numerous threads complaining about the crappy Kenda tires; a bunch on belt vibrations; and of late, there's even been a few on failing Left Hand Control Modules on recently produced Spyders!!

But seriously, how many failed VCM threads have you seen?? Here or elsewhere?? Cos even this thread didn't start out that way, it was discussing a VSS warning on dabikerguy's 2021 RT, which was probably due to the brake pedal/light switch, only it's sorta morphed into discussing your VCM issue, and as that it's maybe one of just a few threads, if that?!? Heck, given the difficulty you are finding in getting a replacement VCM, I'd think that's probably due to just a couple of things - 1. They fail so rarely that NO-ONE has any 'spares' or set up a supply line of spares; & 2. There is a world-wide shortage of the components that they use to make these things so even that's going to take time.... If it was a 'less isolated' incident than it seems to be, then surely there'd be some preparation for it?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just to give you a little back round on my issue....it originally started out as a VSS Fault which was the original service problem when I started having problems back in July...which then became a speed sensor error setting off the ABS fault code and check engine light....then leading to BRP tech diagnosing as a failed VCM unit which I understand is part of ABS/VSS system..and yes you are correct that the problem is a global supply issue which is the reason for the backorder....the one thing I will say is wether there has been one VCM failure or a thousand, if it is yours/mine it is important...At least to me it is...thank you for your input..

Spyder Garage

Ok the problem continues....VCM came in, installed and picked up Saturday 10/23 VSS Fault gone or so I thought...Sunday morning going for first ride since August and what comes up, VSS Fault, limp mode and ABS and ck engine light....I checked codes and have C0031 LF speed sensor (again) and C006C VSS CAN rate message error. The bike runs fine and stops fine..I am going back to the dealer Monday for the third time....BRP cares has been helpful, but if I could afford the loss I would part the bike out. Anyone ever had a similar problem???

Spyder Garage

Ok the problem continues....VCM came in, installed and picked up Saturday 10/23 VSS Fault gone or so I thought...Sunday morning going for first ride since August and what comes up, VSS Fault, limp mode and ABS and ck engine light....I checked codes and have C0031 LF speed sensor (again) and C006C VSS CAN rate message error. The bike runs fine and stops fine..I am going back to the dealer Monday for the third time....BRP cares has been helpful, but if I could afford the loss I would part the bike out. Anyone ever had a similar problem???
    glad you got it back. As long as it was down, almost as bad as hibernation, may just need TLC getting back to normal: Charge change clean hopefully

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Well if anybody is still following this...the Spyder came home 10/25/2021 after a month long stay at the dealer and is now back in the shop since 11/01...same problem with ABS fault....they are currently installing a new main harness, which BRP overnighted (or 3 days). They started the install Friday 11/12 so will see how Long it takes and if it corrects the problem...if this doesn't fix it I guess the next move is the legal system...just really hate to go that route. Sad state of affairs....

Spyder Garage

Here is the end of the story....11/20/2021 I picked up my repaired Spyder F3 and now have about 200 miles under my belt....The process was slow, but I can't say enough about how helpful Florence at BRP Cares was. She never stopped communicating with both good news, bad news, but kept me informed. The service dept at Broward Motorsports Treasures Coast did a great job and my Spyder looked as good as when it went in for service. The complexity of the Spyder computer system is a wonder to behold, but a nightmare to repair....Cheers and Happy Holidays to all.....

Spyder Garage

Here is the end of the story....11/20/2021 I picked up my repaired Spyder F3 and now have about 200 miles under my belt....The process was slow, but I can't say enough about how helpful Florence at BRP Cares was. She never stopped communicating with both good news, bad news, but kept me informed. The service dept at Broward Motorsports Treasures Coast did a great job and my Spyder looked as good as when it went in for service. The complexity of the Spyder computer system is a wonder to behold, but a nightmare to repair....Cheers and Happy Holidays to all.....
    I take it the main harness was the culprit?

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yes, appears the main harness was bad.