Spyder Garage

Default Inexpensive brake light flasher with photos

The commonalty available GS-100A brake light (LED) flasher can be wired into the Ryker's electrical system if you are not squeamish about cutting into your wiring harness. The white wire that goes to the 4 pin plug of each rear signal is the brake light and the black wire is the ground.

Before I took on this project I bought a service manual and studied the wiring diagram (crazy simple setup).

You need to get the input from the brake peddle wire before it splits into two for each signal, or do like I did and simply cut and joined the two white wires (essentially creating a second junction) then add a section of extra wire from there to the lights (see photos).

It is unnecessary to have two separate flasher modules as the brake light is only powered by a single signal wire, it just splits to two somewhere under the bike in the harness. The brake light flasher module is small enough to tuck in behind the top cover that holds the license plate light (Which I found interestingly enough was already an LED!) and zip tie in place.

This is NOT an instructional post, but it can serve as an example if you are handy enough you can do it yourself. I could also have place a switch under that cover if I wanted a way to bypass the module and return the brakes lights to their normal function.

If you have questions please feel free to ask I will do my best to answer.

IMG_6034.jpgIMG_6037.jpgIMG_6038.jpgIMG_6041.jpgIMG_6043.jpgIMG_6044.jpgIMG_6046.jpg
    https://youtu.be/vz2XAIujnBc
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I'm truly in awe,(I find confusion in multiple light switches) You know...Do you flip up or down..

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this! Added to cart. As inexpensive as this module is, I think I'm going to look for factory-style connectors so I wont have to cut. If you or anyone else has a line on said connectors, please post!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Thanks for this! Added to cart. As inexpensive as this module is, I think I'm going to look for factory-style connectors so I wont have to cut. If you or anyone else has a line on said connectors, please post!!
    That will be a lot more work. I am not really sure why you would be apprehensive about cutting the wires. There are "splices" everywhere in the harnesses and of all things they TAPE everything with cloth tape witch isn't the best for insulating or waterproofing. If you look close at one of the photos you can see the "factory" splice for the ground wires (black) and all they did was to solder and epoxy the connections. I soldered and used shrink tubing. If I wanted to take it back factory I would simply remove my wires and reconnect the wires and tape it back up and no one would ever know lol.

I do understand though I was "once" like that, I wanted everything to be of "factory" appearance but in this case its all factory appearance other than I did not have any cloth tape or else you would never have known I did it.

one last note, the flasher has 4 wires, one input (red) and a ground (black) and the other side is an output (red) to the lights and a second ground (black) you do not need to use that one the ground is only to supply power to the flasher you do not need to connect it.
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I believe the 4-pin version of this type connector is factory-style: http://cycleterminal.com/jae-mx19.html

Spyder Garage

I believe the 4-pin version of this type connector is factory-style: http://cycleterminal.com/jae-mx19.html
    Keep in mind if you choose to do it this way and place connect at the light, you will need "two" modules. You could get creative though and use 4 connectors and join the white wires on one side and add the module then jo=in them on the other side but you will end up with a lot more "stuff" to cram in that small space.

I will draw up a diagram to show you how to do that if you want.
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a “crude” diagram I drew up of what you can do if you wanted to make up and use factory connectors to do the same thing I did:
    E5F00A16-9959-4A37-866B-FAED11B7FB6C.jpg
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I used the same module, but because the Ryker uses just two tail lights and not three with a separate brake light like most motorcycles, the tail light flashing pattern can be very confusing when you apply brakes with turn signals. I built another module to disable the flasher when turn signals are used. You obviously already have one tail light flashing when using turn signals, so no loss in attention-getting.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ignal-override

I should have taken a video to show what I mean before I installed the override. Kilroy, perhaps you can post a video showing this.

Spyder Garage

Slingmods has a plug-and-play for about the cost of this module plus connectors: https://www.slingmods.com/canam-ryke...sher-modulator

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I used the same module, but because the Ryker uses just two tail lights and not three with a separate brake light like most motorcycles, the tail light flashing pattern can be very confusing when you apply brakes with turn signals. I built another module to disable the flasher when turn signals are used. You obviously already have one tail light flashing when using turn signals, so no loss in attention-getting.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ignal-override

I should have taken a video to show what I mean before I installed the override. Kilroy, perhaps you can post a video showing this.
    The flashing pattern only runs for a few seconds then they go solid. If the turn signal is going then that will continue to flash afterwards.
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Hey RickD,

You can get these connectors on Amazon. I have ordered them before. They are standard automotive ones. Just looks and see what type you need and order accordingly.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The flashing pattern only runs for a few seconds then they go solid. If the turn signal is going then that will continue to flash afterwards.
    Yes, but while flashing both left and right tail lights flash, and at odd and different rates. Try it and see.

Spyder Garage

when i tapped into the brake wiring, i used these connectors, and wrapped in cloth manufacturing tape.

T_WAY_CONNECTOR.jpg
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

Yes, but while flashing both left and right tail lights flash, and at odd and different rates. Try it and see.
    My friend and I took a ride and I followed him on my Harley and watched as he turned different directions while braking and it all looked fine, the short flashes, then the long flashes then full on, it seems odd at first but didn't last I always knew what direction he was turning. I think putting lights on the front fenders facing back where the cheap reflector tape is would be a good options for better visibility.

I am using the exact same module on my Harley Ultra with a similar brake turn setup and never had any issues.
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My friend following me found it confusing.

Spyder Garage

Slingmods has a plug-and-play for about the cost of this module plus connectors: https://www.slingmods.com/canam-ryke...sher-modulator
    I have this on mine and there is NO cutting whatsoever. I tap it when people are stopping behind me to wake them up? I often tap my brake on the highway at "certain" times as I see fit for the situation.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I tap it when people are stopping behind me to wake them up? I often tap my brake on the highway at "certain" times as I see fit for the situation.
    Precisely the same reason I added the strobe. Keep the cagers on their toes!
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

I was on my Harley, I followed my friend riding the Ryker ;-)
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

If I ever add that to my bike,I will be paying someone to do it for me.

Spyder Garage

I just added HyperLites to the back of mine, didn't fool around with any other circuits. They work well and people give me noticeably more room at a stop.