Spyder Garage

Default Monster fuel stage 1 or stage 2

I drive a 2019 RTL SE6 which has the 1330 motor. I came to the Spyder from a Kawasaki C1400 which is a relatively high performance sport touring bike and ride aggressively. I am considering having either stage 1 or stage 2 Monster reflash on the ECU. Just wondering if any of you who have flashed your ECU regret doing so and if anyone has the state 2 flash wishes they had gotten the stage 1 flash. Please let me know.

Bartender

Spyder Garage

There are quite a few Spyder Owners here & elsewhere who've reported that they started out with Stage 1, thinking it would be enough for them, only after some saddle time they decided they really weren't satisfied, & so went on to get Stage 2! . I don't believe I've seen ANY posters here or elsewhere who've gone the other way?!?

If you Even just vaguely THINK you might want/need to go for a Stage 2 upgrade, why waste the time & effort of doing a half-hearted job?!?

Just Get the Stage 2 Upgrade!! You Know You Want To!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

QUESTION: I have an RLS cat delete with the resonator and a stock muffler. Will I need to make any changes to intake/exhaust should I get a stage 2 ECU tune?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, a K&N air filter is advised and you must send in your air filter cover along with your ECU for a modification. Exhaust is left up to you. Run whatever you wish but the freer-flowing the system you have, the better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    QUESTION: I have an RLS cat delete with the resonator and a stock muffler. Will I need to make any changes to intake/exhaust should I get a stage 2 ECU tune?
    According to Monster, you need to send in your air filter cover to have (2) 1" holes drilled for more air intake. They say the flash works with all exhausts.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I drive a 2019 RTL SE6 which has the 1330 motor. I came to the Spyder from a Kawasaki C1400 which is a relatively high performance sport touring bike and ride aggressively. I am considering having either stage 1 or stage 2 Monster reflash on the ECU. Just wondering if any of you who have flashed your ECU regret doing so and if anyone has the state 2 flash wishes they had gotten the stage 1 flash. Please let me know.

Bartender
    Other than power/performance, the biggest difference between the Stage 1 & 2 flash is fuel requirements, very likely the result of more aggressive timing changes. The stage 2 shows 91+ octane. On some of my trips, I couldn't find 91+ octane. Just keep that in mind.

From Monster's site:
    "Stage 1 is a premium fuel 91 octane tuning. But users can use 87 octane in an emergency and follow safe engine driving habits with the fuel. (keep rpm up, use low gears, don't lug engine, stay below half throttle) Higher octane fuel can be easily used, use what works best.

Stage 2 is a premium fuel 91+ octane tuning only. NEVER use 87 octane."

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I bought the programmer and stage 1 that way you don't have to send your ECU out. If you want to upgrade he'll just send you the program and you can upload it yourself. For me stage one was great. But wanting just a little more I put a pedal commander on and I don't have it anywhere near maxed out and I love it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I bought the programmer and stage 1 that way you don't have to send your ECU out. If you want to upgrade he'll just send you the program and you can upload it yourself. For me stage one was great. But wanting just a little more I put a pedal commander on and I don't have it anywhere near maxed out and I love it!
    This is ONLY available if you have a 2017 and newer tho!! ;-)

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can buy bottles of "octane boost" in most cycle stores such as Cycle Gear. I've never used any, but if you run stage 2 and get caught somewhere where 91 octane is not available, possibly a bottle of octane boost could get you by until you can top off with 91. Has anyone done that? Just asking?