Spyder Garage

Default 3000 mile oil change not a big deal

Today I did the first oil change on our 2021 RTL @ 2999.7 miles (close enough?) I used BajaRon HiFlo filter and seal kit and Rotella T6 5W40 oil. After warming it up, I used Harbor Freight plastic 6" ramps to run the front wheels up on and a 2x4 under the rear shock mount to jack it up level. Placed two jack stands under the swing arms as safety stands (no weight on them) I pre-spotted the two drain plugs with a mirror and LED light and had collected T45 Torx socket and 6mm Allen Socket along with ratchet and a small ball peen hammer. Pulled the right side covers and pulled the brake fluid reservoir out of the way. Drain pan ready for each drain point. Wrapped the T45 and 6mm Allen in their bolts to break things loose, put the ratchet on each and they popped free easily. Loosened the dipstick and removed the drain plugs for it to drain. Removed the filter cap (comes out easiest if you pull the brake fluid reservoir to the back) and pulled the filter. Changed o-rings and crush washers on everything. After full drain, put the plugs in and torqued then put the filter in and torqued its cap down. Poured in 5 quarts of oil and cleaned up everything then opened the garage door, lowered and removed the floor jack and rolled it back off the ramps. Started it and let it idle while I transferred the oil to jugs and wiped up splashes and tools. All told about one hour for my first change. Took it for a 15 mile ride and upon return it showed 1/2 quart low, so added that in and parked her. Not a bad chore. I'll hit the other things (fluid levels, etc.) later today. How much does the dealer charge? I have less than $50 in this one. But, I like working on bikes. TNGoodwyne came over to observe and lend a hand, plus to be prepared for his next change. An advantage to backdoor neighbors like that is we only need one set of the tools!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Default oil change

I Pidjones !

The only thing you should have done is put in a BRP oil filter, I did this for the warranty period.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Here in the colonies the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act requires the manufacturer prove a non OEM part caused a problem/defect before they can deny a warranty claim. HiFlo filters are very reliable.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I stick with OEM when it comes to filters. Probably not a big deal
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT