Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Warning on 2008 Spyder. Dealer gave up

Hello, I own a 2008 Spyder. I bought it new and got one of the first ones. I have about 7,800 miles but I’ve run into an issue. I have a brake failure warning light that won’t turn off. I just brought it home from a certified BRP dealer. The bike spent 6 weeks there and they gave up unless I wanted to start replacing the ECU and other big prices items they said. They said to enjoy the bike with the warning pretty much. They did a brake bleed, new tires/wheels was done last year, battery, brakes/pads, fluid topped off. It didn’t help. Any suggestions? I greatly appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

You said they did a brake bleed,did they replace the fluid? It should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rach4life View Post
    Hello, I own a 2008 Spyder. I bought it new and got one of the first ones. I have about 7,800 miles but I’ve run into an issue. I have a brake failure warning light that won’t turn off. I just brought it home from a certified BRP dealer. The bike spent 6 weeks there and they gave up unless I wanted to start replacing the ECU and other big prices items they said. They said to enjoy the bike with the warning pretty much. They did a brake bleed, new tires/wheels was done last year, battery, brakes/pads, fluid topped off. It didn’t help. Any suggestions? I greatly appreciate it!
    They sure did a lot of things .... and didn't fix the issue .... I think they are a bunch of idiots, sooooooooooooooooo take off the brake reservoir caps ( and note how the caps are oriented, so you put them back on the same way ) ..... see how much fluid is in them and if not full, add a couplie of tablespoons of BRAKE fluid to each reservoir .... if you spill any wash off immediately after re-placing the caps ( correctly ) .... It may take a few start - ride a bit - and stop repeat to get the warning to clear .... good luck .... let us know if this worked ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

on the early ones 6 weeks at dealer in summer with Covid mess ya sure they got a headache or two & needed the space.
    You did check what they claimed was done? There are other parts like sensors that fail before ECU (had one fail on a’13 w/more miles)if you have the time find a second opinion. Maybe open a case with BRP cares not even 10k miles they might be little more insightful Hopefully. **also double check V slit inside caps pointing to the back of bike**
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-27-2021 at 02:08 AM. Reason: **

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Press brake pedal first click is brake lite switch if you get 2nd click that indicates low braking pressure usually caused by contaminated brake fluid. cure change fluid.
    second brake reservoir caps have to be put on in a specific orientation or will not let fluid flow to master cylinder. If you are doing work your self get a set of speed bleeders, makes changing fluid one man job. Had this problem on 09.

Spyder Garage

Did they reset the low pressure switch? Give this a try:

1) Turn the key on and press the button to clear the read safety card message
    2) Press and hold the brake pedal past the second click. If you have good pressure this takes a lot of effort.
    3) Turn the key off
    4) Hold the brake pedal until the back light on the instrument cluster goes off (~30sec).
    5) Release the brake pedal

Now turn the key on and check to see if the brake failure error is gone.

I use this method following a rear brake bleed when the error appears on mine. I need a new rear caliper it will let air into the system over a long period of time.

Good luck!
    Bruce
    Yorktown, VA
    '08 Spyder GS

Spyder Garage

Hello, no this didn’t work. Thanks does the tip though. I’ll check the other replies as well. I must admit I’m not quite handy though. I’ll check to see the work sheet as well. Thanks all

Spyder Garage

Checking the level on the brake fluid per BK above is a good suggestion. I have had that happen many times and usually a teaspoon down will do it. A quick, easy, and inexpensive fix most of the time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When the brake failure warning is Active on your display, then there will be an Active trouble code stored that will be useful in diagnosing the issue. The dealer should have checked that and it may be listed on the paperwork. If not, you can call it up yourself.

With engine running and the warning active;
    Press the mode button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display. Make sure you do not release the mode button when you get to "engine hours"
    While still holding the mode button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    If there are more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

Put the code in the forum’s search box in the upper right. More than likely you won’t be the first one and there will be a ton of information that you can check on when able. Let us know.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

my 2009 is my daily ride and I add a tablespoon of brake fluid approx every 10 days. At one point my parking brake was not working properly and would not come all the way up each time when I tried to release it. I replaced the springs and little gear thing. but I dunno if parking brake going haywire can give that message.

I do know after having this bike as a daily ride for 2.5 yrs --- keeping the brake fluid level in the front reservoir so the float pops up like a little bobber keeps the brake failure message away. I also wrap a small thin rag around the cap so any fluid that does come out of the cap the rag soaks it up. good luck!
    2009 GS SE5: Stage 2 Elka front shocks, BajaRon sway bar, K&N air filter, kuryakyn foot pegs, TricLED rear and front lights.

Spyder Garage

Hello, I had a 2008 Spyder RS with this issue. Found that the brake booster/reservoir was the issue, worked but sensor detected a pressure issue. Replaced the unit and all was fine? I was just purchasing the Spyder, so dealer covered parts and labor! Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I'm being very ignorant here.

I also have an 08GS and have never seen a booster/reservoir on mine. A reservoir yes, but not a booster that detects pressure.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Oldgoat, when I said brake booster, meant the master cylinder. The dealer I bought bike from just replaced the whole unit to solve the brake light issue. Thanks for catching my description mistake! Rach4life, good luck on solving your brake issue.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Oldgoat, when I said brake booster, meant the master cylinder. The dealer I bought bike from just replaced the whole unit to solve the brake light issue. Thanks for catching my description mistake! Rach4life, good luck on solving your brake issue.
    no problem
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Same On 2013

Not all the time but just once in awhile. Checked in the master cylinder and there is a plastic ring just floating p. Is that normal?