Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar question - do 2020 & newer Spyders benefit from upgrading?

Read lots of posts on benefits of upgrading (anti) sway bar. Baja Ron seems to be the choice. I have a 2020 F3-T. I haven't seen clear comments that the 2020 and newer Spyders benefit from the sway bar upgrade as do prior models/years? Any comments appreciated.

Spyder Garage

The ‘20/‘21 RTs have a better handling dynamic than the previous RT seagraves, which is why there are less comments about the stabiliser bar’s influence. The ‘20/‘21 F3 however is much the same as the previous models, and as such is far more likely to benefit from an upgrade, if you are feeling too much sway in the corners.

BUT………it is very much a personal thing. Only YOU can tell if a stabiliser bar may be of benefit to you. Do you or your passenger feel there is too much sway when cornering, or too much moving about on the freeway near trucks? If yes, then consider a stabiliser bar for your ‘20 F3-T. If not, just run stock, like so many F3 riders (including spirited riders) do.

To my mind, my ‘21RT handles as well, stock, as my ‘16 F3-L did with Ron’s bar. I do not push super hard through corners these days though…..I’m too busy enjoying the scenery. However, I have just installed a stabiliser bar on the RT and do indeed notice flatter cornering and more stability around trucks. My passenger appreciates it too.

It really is a “horses for courses” thing. See if you can find someone with a ‘20 F3 and an aftermarket bar who will let you have a ride, and compare it with yours. That should answer your question categorically

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    The ‘20/‘21 RTs have a better handling dynamic than the previous RT seagraves, which is why there are less comments about the stabiliser bar’s influence. The ‘20/‘21 F3 however is much the same as the previous models, and as such is far more likely to benefit from an upgrade, if you are feeling too much sway in the corners.

BUT………it is very much a personal thing. Only YOU can tell if a stabiliser bar may be of benefit to you. Do you or your passenger feel there is too much sway when cornering, or too much moving about on the freeway near trucks? If yes, then consider a stabiliser bar for your ‘20 F3-T. If not, just run stock, like so many F3 riders (including spirited riders) do.

To my mind, my ‘21RT handles as well, stock, as my ‘16 F3-L did with Ron’s bar. I do not push super hard through corners these days though…..I’m too busy enjoying the scenery. However, I have just installed a stabiliser bar on the RT and do indeed notice flatter cornering and more stability around trucks. My passenger appreciates it too.

It really is a “horses for courses” thing. See if you can find someone with a ‘20 F3 and an aftermarket bar who will let you have a ride, and compare it with yours. That should answer your question categorically

Pete

Pete
    ..... I have recommended getting a better Sway-Bar .... MOST of the time ..... from reading other folks who have put on a better SwayBar ( on Pre 20 spyders ) and then bought a 20 or 21 model ..... It appears BRP has figured it out, and already has a better SwayBar on those models .....JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... I have recommended getting a better Sway-Bar .... MOST of the time ..... from reading other folks who have put on a better SwayBar ( on Pre 20 spyders ) and then bought a 20 or 21 model ..... It appears BRP has figured it out, and already has a better SwayBar on those models .....JMHO .... Mike
    Yeah, it’s an odd one, Mike. I am sure I read one of Ron’s (or some other persons) post where they said that they measured the bar diameter and looked at composition, and it appeared the same as the previous models. The jury is still out on just exactly what they did to the ‘20 RT models as the shocks appear the same too, but the RT performance is definitely better than previous. I believe, and I could definitely be wrong (not that I have EVER been wrong in the past, of course), but I don’t believe they made changes to the ‘20/21 F3.

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not to belabor the issue. Some very valid questions and I agree that any performance suspension mod should be subject to scrutiny, transparency and facts. There will always be a degree of subjectivity because, in the end, it's the buyers opinion that really counts. Riders have different styles, riding in different environments, and varying expectations. It all goes into the mix.

But to get to some facts. The OEM bars we are taking out of 2021 F3's and RT's are identical, in every aspect, to the 2013 bar (in the RT's case) and the 2015 bar (in the F3's case). (1st Production Years for each current model).

The difference in the RT is that they have lowered the center of gravity, redistributed weight forward and possibly improved the OEM shocks somewhat. If there are any handling improvements in the F3 for 20/21, (which I am not convinced there are), I think it must be a bit of improvement in the shocks because I am not aware of any other handling performance affecting area that received significant changes.

But the 'Rumor' that the sway bar assembly itself has been improved, or even changed, is not true.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-27-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 RTL, and held off with any sway bar change until I felt comfortable with pushing it a little in the curves. Then I found a video, and posted a thread about it here.... https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-BAR-explained

For me it is a very worthwhile upgrade.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

The sway bar kit made a huge difference in handling on my 2021 F3-S.

2021 Spyder F3-S Special Series
    ————————————————-
    Monster Fuel Injection Stage II
    K&N Air Filter
    Lamonster Cat Delete Pipe with Baffle
    Akrapovic Sinister Exhaust
    Ultimate Floorboards
    Baja Ron’s Anti-Sway Bar Kit
    Elka Shocks Stage 3 Front, Stage 4 Rear
    F4 Customs 32” Windshield
    Pedal Commander
    Lamonster F3 Brake Rod
    Shad SH36 Side Cases
    Crampbuster

Spyder Garage

I changed mine on my 21 RTL to the Baja Ron bar. It made a big difference for me. The Baja Ron bar looked beefier. The real upgrade was the stabilizer bushings and end links. Those are a massive improvement over stock. Although I would recommend changing it all out you can always just change out the end links first to see if that helps. The little 10 plastic OEM ones on the spyder are so cheap.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    I changed mine on my 21 RTL to the Baja Ron bar. It made a big difference for me. The Baja Ron bar looked beefier. The real upgrade was the stabilizer bushings and end links. Those are a massive improvement over stock. Although I would recommend changing it all out you can always just change out the end links first to see if that helps. The little 10 plastic OEM ones on the spyder are so cheap.
    Stock bar is 5/8, Baja Ron is 11/16.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest