Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tarp or No Tarp?

My 2012 RT SE5 has to spend all year outdoors. I have no garage or place to keep it out of the weather. My question is: should I wrap the Spyder in a tarp during the worst winter months when I can't ride it, or should I leave it "exposed"? Someone told me that tarping it would lock in the moisture, and cause rust faster than leaving it exposed. I know I could buy a Spyder "cover" for it, but that doesn't completely enclose the bike...just most of it. With a tarp and bungees, I could totally enclose the bike. Anybody got any advice of this issue?

I'm in NC so winters are usually pretty mild, but we do get some ice and snow, and temps below freezing. I keep the Spyder hooked to a battery tender all year long, even though the battery is only a year old. If the temps are above freezing, and there's no ice on the road, I'll take it for a ride. A "horse trailer" would probably do the trick. I could cover up all the windows and openings, and make a ramp for entry and exit. The challenge is the Spyder's width...and my landlord may not allow me to put a horse trailer on the property. Same with a large wooden crate... The storage facilities are an option, but I don't have the $$$ for the monthly rent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Factory cover will cover the entire spyder and still allow it to breathe. The cover has vents that will allow moisture to vent out. Research some other covers that are much like a tent-style cover that will help to overcome the moisture problem. Good luck finding what you need.

Spyder Garage

I agree with 2dogs but what I would do is, if you actually swear off riding during the coldest months I'd rent a self-storage bay large enough to hold it, put some Stabil in the gas tank with a full load of nonethanol gas and lock it up.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Factory cover will cover the entire spyder and still allow it to breathe. The cover has vents that will allow moisture to vent out. Research some other covers that are much like a tent-style cover that will help to overcome the moisture problem. Good luck finding what you need.
    The factory covers also have: integrated exhaust panel, and protective flannel windshield liner, 300 denier polyester water repellent, they attach very easy with clips.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Park it in a storage locker? I know guy's that do this with boats up on Reelfoot lake.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Tarp is for temporary cover only and it might scratch your paint. For your Spyder I would get a cover made of 300 denier fabric by one of reputable companies to cover it up, long term or short term. There are plenty of them sold online for around $100 or so. The OEM Can-am cover is a little pricey at $250. What I do is cover the windshield with a large trash bag before i put on the cover to prevent windshield get scratches, done that for years and windshields keep looking like new.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Exposed to the weather?....no. Enclosed in a non-breathable tarp?..... no. Choose to do something else or you will do harm to your bike. And, it probably won't be cheap to fix. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Exposed to the weather?....no. Enclosed in a non-breathable tarp?..... no. Choose to do something else or you will do harm to your bike. And, it probably won't be cheap to fix. Good luck..... Jim

Your going to have a bill at the end of this regardless... a bill for storage in a "U-Store" place or a bill for damage that you will NEED to get fixed. Having critters finding a place to winter under the Spyder skin will be costly when they start chewing on wires and such. Rusting of the frame and damage to the paint etc from chaffing of the cover plus a dozen others things.

Don't try to cheap out. You will regret it.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One other thing to consider: IF you cover it with a tarp, can you GUARANTEE that there will be no wind flapping it around? A moving tarp is at least as good as 200-grit sandpaper on a painted finish. Also consider that the finish on a Spyder does not seem to be as durable as most other automotive finishes, so it's even MORE vulnerable.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I'm with the self storage guys here. Another benefit not mentioned is that many of those have an electrical outlet that can be used for a Battery Tender. Not having to replace your battery saves you well over $100.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT start a hibernating bike unless you are going for at least a half hour ride.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

If you leave it outside unattended either with a tarp, cover or out in the open, animals will make the nest within the body of your ride. Trust me I bought mine from my estate sale that had sat outside are all winter covered with a company cover. I found nuts, nest and other debris all throughout the body. Luckily they didn’t eat the wiring. I agree with the above to spend a little bit more and get some inside storage.

Spyder Garage

RICZ added two important points I neglected to mention regarding the electric outlet and not starting a hibernating bike. Check your county building code because some do NOT allow electric receptacles in them because people try to live in them and cook on hot plates.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Maybe good time for investment of enclosed trailer as bike garage & good in case need for transport also for consideration
    http://www.thebikebarn.net/ sorry not in hibernation area to know more just info from notes found here.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    My 2012 RT SE5 has to spend all year outdoors. I have no garage or place to keep it out of the weather. My question is: should I wrap the Spyder in a tarp during the worst winter months when I can't ride it, or should I leave it "exposed"? Someone told me that tarping it would lock in the moisture, and cause rust faster than leaving it exposed. I know I could buy a Spyder "cover" for it, but that doesn't completely enclose the bike...just most of it. With a tarp and bungees, I could totally enclose the bike. Anybody got any advice of this issue?
    I live in a state my spyder hibernates in the winter( Off topic I m on my sled when the sledding season starts) back on Topic, let your insurance company know for insurance purposes. Put a full cover on it. and be sure to put on a battery tender, change the oil, and hope for a short winter!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My spyder resides in her own wooden almost air-tight garage with a tender hooked to her. I visit her a couple of times a week and check the mouse traps I set underneath. Generally, we have a warm spell at least once a season and when that comes along I give her about a 30-mile stretch just to keep her happy and everything turning as it should. Then I fill her up with Chevron or Shell and put her back to sleep to await springtime.

Spyder Garage

Put Irish Spring soap under the chassis. Little varmints hate it.

Spyder Garage

Another vote for an actual cover made for the Spyder. Much better than a tarp. Storage is a better option, but you have to make that decision.

The suggestion about NOT starting a hibrenating bike is also good. If you are going to fire it up, make sure you do at least a half hour RIDE so that the fluids get well circulated. Idling only does not do it good enough.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

One of those small shipping container's are perfect for a storage shed.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about Can-Am dealers, but many Harley dealers will store your bike indoors over the winter with battery tenders IF you get an oil change, or new tires or some other service to keep their techs employed during the off season. Might be worth a phone call.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Put Irish Spring soap under the chassis. Little varmints hate it.
    Really??? Never even considered that...LOL But if it keeps varmints away, I'll do it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2021 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Unless you are in one of the high altitude Western regions of NC, you should have plenty of periods available to ride year-round! Just get some heated gear and go for it!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I have a like new BRP full cover that I need to sell only used a few times. pm if interested.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    Really??? Never even considered that...LOL But if it keeps varmints away, I'll do it!
    Used it for probably 30 years. Works really well on cars.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2021 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Used it for probably 30 years. Works really well on cars.
    I never used Irish Spring either, which fragrance?

I do keep moth balls in vented containers around and on both my tractor and lawn mower during the winter and that works for me. Before I started this I had to remove vole, mice and chipmunk nest's from my mower yearly plus repair the wiring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Maybe good time for investment of enclosed trailer as bike garage & good in case need for transport also for consideration
    http://www.thebikebarn.net/ sorry not in hibernation area to know more just info from notes found here.
    I have a 12 ft enclosed utility trailer. The R/t wouldn't fit, but my F3 will. It is just as good as a garage because it is sealed from all of the moisture found in either rainy or snowy seasons.