Spyder Garage

Default How do you remove 2008 GS SM5 tail light

I'm having trouble removing the rear tail lights on my 2008 GS. I can't find the rear screw/bolt. I think I see the tail light bracket but it disappears underneath a steel plate. I've looked at the pics and shop manual and no mention of that plate. What am I missing?

Spyder Garage

What does the plate hold on/support/carry?? Is it an a/mkt add-on?? I don't particularly recall any steel plate obstructing access to the screws on the light brackets, but then we do have some odd lighting differences here in Oz, so maybe....

Still, not sure you're missing anything - it's more the extra bits you've found being a problem, isn't it?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Sometimes photos of the problem help. Can you post one or two so we can see what you're dealing with?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

It appears to be a support plate for the tail piece. About 8" long and 4" wide. It is secured with a 7" bolt thru the frame and a 13mm nut underneath. Removed bolts and the plate is loose but won't come out. Now the tailpiece is in the way. Got that loose but now the latch is holding the tailpiece compartment lid in place. Looks like nightmare to get that cable out. I'm going to try and take a pic but my camera not the best and hard location to get a pic

Spyder Garage

I'm going to try and take a pic but my camera not the best and hard location to get a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canadaspyder View Post
    I'm going to try and take a pic but my camera not the best and hard location to get a pic
    That aluminum piece is support for the BRP storage/backrest accessory. Shouldn’t have anything to do with the lights though

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

I'm fairly clumsy on this site yet. Anyway, there's a couple of pics. One shows the plate that's hiding the tail light screw and I'm trying to remove. The other is pointing straight up to where the screw should be. If I look closely I can see the outer edge of the screw I need to take out to get that tail light out. I'm baffled and the shop manual isn't helping.

Spyder Garage

You would think not but it is. But I can't get it off right now. Going back out. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Hi canadaspyder, don't know if this of any help but I think the lights are similar to the GS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xItH12zZOgI

Spyder Garage

I had a 2009 and their are two screws per side-one on the side and one in the upper. It appears your support plate is in the way!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Finally got it. It was the BRP accessory and it was covering the tail light screws. It wouldn't be a quick fix on the road to change a bulb. Have to take the tail off. I'll think I'll drill some access holes in the plate before I put it all back together. Thanks all!

Spyder Garage

Check out Dreading replacing a tail light globe? on Martins tips page as he had to sort the same issue a few years back and has a good hack for making it easier:
    http://www.spyderryders.net.au/tips.htm

Spyder Garage

Here's an update for anyone that has a 2008 GS that is equipped with the BRP storage/backrest accessory. You need to remove the support plate to get at the screws that hold the tail light in if you have to change the bulb for example.

1. Remove the lower half of the tail piece held by two 4mm allen screws. Here is where you have access to the latch release cable.
    2. Remove the top half of the tail piece held by four 6mm allen bolts. I suggest using a 6mm socket because they're recessed.
    3. Unhook the release cable and put the top half aside.
    4. Under the seat, there's a horizontal bolt that goes thru the frame and support bracket. It's about 5" long with 13mm heads. Remove that bolt.
    5. At the top at the back end of the seat, there's a 3" T40 torx bolt that goes thru the seat bracket, frame and then thru the support bracket. That bolt hole was threaded thru and also secured with a 13mm nut underneath.
    6. Now you can slide that bracket back and out.
    7. You can now see that rear screw to take the tail light lens off.

Hope this helps.