Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Sounds like you need to learn to not fight the ride and just let it move around under you like I described in my post.
    Sounds to me that there might have been something lost in the translation.
    1. IT'S NOT MY SPYDER.
    2. I HAD LIMITED TIME ON IT BEFORE COMMITTING TO A WEEKEND ON IT.
    3. One fact not pointed out earlier was that the ride was not a "sit back and smell the daisies" ride. It was a spirited romp through the hills and curves. It would have been a LOT of fun on either of my two-wheelers, but I came close to leaving pucker marks in the seat upholstery.

Yes, it undoubtedly gets better with time/miles. My wife is enjoying HER Spyder much more this year than she did last year. I have no NEED to ride it much, so I'll stick with my two-wheelers until circumstances force me to either add one wheel or subtract two wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
    Between Safford, Arizona and Springerville, Arizona is what they call Satan's Highway (191) which is supposed to have 3000 turns.
    Although that route does appear to have some devilish turns, I have always heard that name given to US 666, which runs between Gallup, NM and Cortez, CO. You can click HERE to see an article that explains some of that, along with why it was renamed to US 491.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I’m 65 and this summer switched to the Spyder RTL after 40+ years on two wheels, including most recently a Fatboy and then an Indian Challenger (which I loved of course). No regrets at all, and just this week completed a 6500 mile solo trip from Seattle to Indiana and back. I had multiple consecutive days of 500-600 miles and had absolutely no fatigue from the rides. I would never go back to two!

Spyder Garage

As several others have stated, it does take some time to adjust, relax and ride the machine. We both struggled on our first few rides, my wife actually did better than I did, she's much more chill than I am! I'm not sure a short test ride would have changed my mind or sealed the deal, I'm glad we made the "leap" without the test ride truthfully. The dealer did have an F3 and Ryker, as well as the two RT's we purchased sitting in the showroom. the RT's just felt right, not perfect but really good. With the addition of the sway bar/ends from BajaRon, helibars, pedal commander, backrest, airhawk and taller windscreen, it fits like it was built for me, my wife says the same thing about hers

Once I felt more confident and comfortable on the RT, I really starting enjoying the ride and time/miles just fly by. Pulling onto a gravel shoulder or parking lot (still concerned about rocks in the belt) are no sweat, having reverse and not having to worry about tipping it over/picking it up ... priceless. The first time I dropped a big bike (yamaha venture royal), injured my back and shoulder trying prevent it from happening.. was the last time I owned a big touring bike.

Before ours were delivered, we completed the 3 wheel training required by WA state. The "hands on" time was spent on Rykers blasting around one of the parking lots on the Boeing campus in Everett. It was fun and gave us a taste of the three wheel experience. I would highly recommend taking a course like this prior to hitting the road with a can am. Funny note, one of the other people (only 4 of us) taking the course ended up purchasing the F3 that we climbed around on!

Sorry, to answer the question. On our previous bikes (klr685's fully fitted for ADV riding) 500 plus miles was unpleasant, on the RT's I feel great after a full day and ready to do it again the next day.

Spyder Garage

"Between Safford, Arizona and Springerville, Arizona is what they call Satan's Highway (191) which is supposed to have 3000 turns."

Me thinks someone was a fibbing to you about 3000 curves there. I've ridden the best known stretch of that from Clifton to Alpine three times with a guy who lives in Mesa. He and the locals call it the Devil's Highway and that portion is 95 miles with 534 curves. So, I'm pretty sure there aren't another 2466 curves in the remaining 68 miles to include Safford and Springerville.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

You will be more rested at the end of the day. Partly due to not having to worry about what is on the pavement in curves as you have many times more rubber on the ground. If you get the electric shift, your left hand and foot will thank you. Stuck in traffic? You don't have to hold up a Spyder.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

can only speak on behalf of the 2020 RTLimited, just came off a fall trip with last day being a 800+ mile day. felt good, but had a few late model Harleys and thought that their stock seats were ok too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO I would try and get a test ride somewhere to compare the different models ..... and I would look for a low mileage machine, from 14 - 17 years ..... the newer ones have lots of issues if you arn't technically oriented ..... I'm 74 and just took a trip down to Jersey to see my Sister .... 340 miles on a 90 to 100 degree day, yes it was warm, but I wasn't really un-comfortable ...and I've taken this same trip on an 03 Wing in better weather and suffered more ... and I was younger ..... good luck .... Mike
    I like my 18! Wish it had the chrome wheels from a 19. Like the digital dash on the 18+ models. Had it a year and 5 or 6K miles, no issues.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your words guys! At 60 I have loss the ability to ride a bike after a stroke (left side issues), so I purchased a 2018 F3 almost new two days ago. The test ride was under whelming as I fought the machine a little but recognized truth in the "relax and let it move around a little" comments! The trike operates like new (as it is with 2000 miles on it) but I'll be adding some longer footboards. I look forward to my new adventure...Regards,

Spyder Garage

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but I came to the Spyder after 60+ years on two wheels. Multiple Gold Wings, Yamaha Venture Royals, a BMW 1200 RT and my favorite of the bunch a Kawasaki C14. I bought the 2019 RTL SE6 without ever having ridden a Spyder, but I can tell you for sure had I taken a test ride, I would not have made the purchase. I thought I had made a terrible mistake but had no real choice since a week in the hospital with Covid left me so weak in the legs that I could not possibly ride the C14. Well, I read the comments in this site, learned to loosen my grip on the bars and got it lazer aligned at Lamonster's garage, added BajaRon's bar and links and replaced the factory tires with Kanine tires. After those changes it seemed like an entirely different machine. I lowered tire pressures to 28 on the rear and 18 on the fronts. Before Spyder and Covid I regularly rode 900 to 1000 mile days and loved long distance rides and now I would gladly do the same on the Spyder, only I wouldn't be nearly as tired at the end of the day. The comfort, lack of concern over gravel lots, U-turns, unlevel parking and lots as well as the general lack of concern over dropping the bike made a big difference. After 9 months on the RT and about 5000 miles I wouldn't even consider going back to two wheels. Spyder all the way for me. By the way I will be 80 years young in 20 days and I am now recovered from the effect of Covid and in exceptionally good health and condition. Love my Spyder and no looking back. Don't give up on the Spyder. Relax and ride it and you will eventually fall in love with it.
    Last edited by Bartender; 01-10-2022 at 11:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    I too was one that read the writing on the wall about moving on from 2 wheels to 3. But I may add a word of caution about taking a Spyder out for a test ride and making a decision from that ride. The Spyder is a different animal from any 2 wheel vehicle in the manner in which it handles and can be scary at first if you have well developed muscle memory from 2 wheel riding. (50+ years for me.) I flew out to the mid-west and rode it home 1,500 miles when I purchased mine 3 weeks ago. At the end of the first day of the trip I was ready to sell it. Now that I have gained a different skill set on how to ride the Spyder, I am really enjoying it.

As for comfort, I was able to do 500+ mile on the Gold Wing, and I feel that I can do the same on my RT. No real difference in creature comfort, but the 3 wheels do add a sense of security the 2 wheels doesn't.

Oh, I did own a Fat Boy for a while and you will be appreciative of the overall comfort compared to your Fat Boy. I resigned my FB just to around town riding for a while and ultimately got rid of it because it just sat there unused.
    I really agree with this. If you have never ridden a Can Am Spyder or Ryker before, the test ride will be revealing as to the difference in operation and feel between a 2 wheeler and a 3 wheeler. I doubt it will be very enlightening as to riding comfort.

After my first trip home I was ready to return it. It scared the living daylights out of me to be honest. I persevered and I gradually got used to it. I took the Can Am safety course (booked through Can Am website and performed at the local Community College) which made a huge difference. So for me, the best way to experience a Spyder or Ryker would be to sign up for the $99 course, which includes use of their vehicles, and get used to the vehicle before riding it on the roads. After getting hang of the rather different way of controlling the vehicle it would put you in a far better situation as to knowing how comfortable long distance riding might be.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BMac920 View Post
    Thanks for your words guys! At 60 I have loss the ability to ride a bike after a stroke (left side issues), so I purchased a 2018 F3 almost new two days ago. The test ride was under whelming as I fought the machine a little but recognized truth in the "relax and let it move around a little" comments! The trike operates like new (as it is with 2000 miles on it) but I'll be adding some longer footboards. I look forward to my new adventure...Regards,

Just a quick follow up on my post....Picked the Spyder up in Austin yesterday, rode it a little over 200 miles home on a warm (75 degrees) day, but windy! I Already like the machine. The advice to relax a little and to NOT chase the machine on every movement is excellent advice! Even on a blustery day, the ride was fun and the less correcting and softer grip made the ride better as I progressed. I will be adding longer floorboards and a hand break on the right side. Maybe after a little more riding the Helibar and taller wind screen as it sets a long way out front compared to motorcycles. Thanks again for the comments on how best to acclimate to riding the Spyder. Regards,

Spyder Garage

Bartender, I have a similar story. I am 70 years young. I have been riding 2 wheels since 12. I purchased my Spyder from a dealer about 400 miles from home. My only pre-purchase ride was in their parking lot. When I got it home and rode it down the road, I thought I had wasted all that money. After a few changes to the Spyder, and learning how the ride was different than my Suzuki C90t or Harley Ultra Classic, I am now totally sold on my Spyder. Last summer I was at Muskegon Bike Time and of the 20,000 or so motorcycles, I didn't see any I would trade my Spyder RTL for. So happy to hear you are riding at 80!...and survived Covid!
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

As an HD rider for 48 years:
    As compared to a FatBoy, superior.
    As compared to an Electraglide, about the same.
    If purchasing a newer 2020 + model Spyder RT, more likely superior to Electraglide given the newer models provide better lower back support.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with crusin Texas.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Tough question for me as I have been on 3 wheels for quite a few years. Couple of things to consider. With a trike you have to steer it, but on 2 wheels you can counter-steer, which is less tiring. I think to answer the question it would depend on the road. If a lotta curves then maybe 2 wheels would be easier. Freeway or reasonably straight highway I would take the trike every time. Keep in mind this response is coming from a 70+ person with a little arthritis in the neck and shoulders.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

73 here. If after giving your used spyder a thorough ride test, and you're still uncomfortable you may need alignment or a set of tires. The previous owner sold it for some reason. No big deal. However it will probably be fine after you get used to it.

Happy trails!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We sound similar in our riding behaviour. Its not uncommon for me to travel 300-500kms for a lunch ride them come home, sometimes with the Chief Cook.

I could do 1000kms a day on my old VF100FII with a sheepskin seatcover in my younger years. I now have a '17 RTL I weigh 92Kgs, have good aftermarket suspension set for touring.

The OEM seat isn't much chop for long rides on any of the models. I've tried a sheepskin (moves around too much) and now use the Airhawk. It has been brilliant, using the minutest amount of air seems to be the solution, and topping up from time to time. My only negative comment is I wish they came in any other colour than black. When you are riding in 40 + Degree C days and resume after it has been sitting in the sun over lunch, it takes a minute or too to cool.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I have done many a 500+ mile day over the years on a succession of 2 wheel bikes... Harleys, Hondas and Yamahas. In 2019 after a couple near catastrophies on a Yamaha Venture, I bought a 2018 RTL... never even sat on one before. Flew the 900+miles/ 1500Km to where the bike was and rode it home over two days. Spent the first of the two days terrified I had made a HUGE mistake, but by the end of the second day it all started coming together. Ridden all over Canada since, and with luck will be doing a run along the Outer Banks and back up through the Blue Ridge in a few months. I find I am far less tired on the Spyder than I was the last few years on 2 wheels, although age (turning 67) may have some bearing. The only thing that I find worse on the Spyder is my hips are in serious discomfort after 100 miles or so, but quickly recover when we break. The sitting stance seems too wide for me, but that discomfort is a small price to pay ... and is also why God created Aleve

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station