Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Compare a 500 mile ride on a Spyder with same on 2 wheels?

Looking at selling my FatBoy and buying a 2014 or up Spyder RT. My 67 year old body would like to know what a 500 mile ride in 1 day feels like on a Spyder compared to riding 500 on motorcycle .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

get a 20-21-or 22 rtl model and enjoy life

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyo85 View Post
    Looking at selling my FatBoy and buying a 2014 or up Spyder RT. My 67 year old body would like to know what a 500 mile ride in 1 day feels like on a Spyder compared to riding 500 on motorcycle .
    IMHO I would try and get a test ride somewhere to compare the different models ..... and I would look for a low mileage machine, from 14 - 17 years ..... the newer ones have lots of issues if you arn't technically oriented ..... I'm 74 and just took a trip down to Jersey to see my Sister .... 340 miles on a 90 to 100 degree day, yes it was warm, but I wasn't really un-comfortable ...and I've taken this same trip on an 03 Wing in better weather and suffered more ... and I was younger ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree strongly with Mike about test riding. If you have the opportunity to test ride an RT with a drivers backrest you may notice it adds even more comfort to the test ride experience. I was 73 when I bought my Spyder and could knock off repeated 450 mile days easily, and when I got a backrest was very pleased at how much fresher I felt at the end of the day.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There will be a learning curve before you will be completely comfortable on the Spyder. My wife and I have several back to back 600+ mile days on our RT. I am 66 and she is 63. We were tired, but not near as tired as we were after a 500 mile day on two wheels. We spent 40+ years on two wheeled touring bikes so the transition probably took a bit longer for us. The security that the third wheel offers makes traveling a bit more relaxing thus less fatigue.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

A test ride for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We're all different. I don't have a motorcycle butt, therefore nothing is really comfortable for me after about 45 minutes. I agree with the rest. Test drive for more than around the block if you can.

Spyder Garage

There is no comparison at all..
    A 500 mile ride is way easier on a Spyder…
    I have done several 1180 mile rides on my 2015 F3’s with no problems..
    I’m 63…

Spyder Garage

I've been to California and back (east Tennessee) twice on my 2008 GS. About 6,000 miles total each time. 1457 miles in 1 day on 1 trip in 27 hours. Not recommending it. But it's all relative.

Good luck in your search. A Spyder is always going to be less fatiguing than 2 wheels. It's just a matter of physics.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My Spyder is also an old Dinosaur(2012RTL) but at 75 I can still knock off a 500 mile day and do it again tomorrow. You need to test drive a Spyder of your choice for an hour or half a day and see how you feel. Drive it like a car.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've done several 500 mile days. On 2 wheels, on a Spyder, and on my GL1800 trike. Three wheels take a lot of stress away because of having more stability, more rubber on the road, and the ability to see the scenery a bit more. Overall, more relaxing riding 3 than 2 regardless of the configuration of the 3. Other than that, the biggest issue for long distance comfort is having a seat that will suit you well. Regardless of bikes, I have not found an OEM seat that works well for me for long distance. I have had to modify, add pads, or upgrade on every bike I have owned. Bottom line.....3 are better than 2 for long distance touring..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

500 miles in a day is almost always going to involve interstate (or equivalent) miles. These are more fatiguing to me than 2-lane miles. On the slab, the 3 wheels is less fatiguing. And, 2-lane miles are more fun and less fatiguing on 2 wheels for me. What drove me to the Spyder is when you pull off the road. Approaching our 70's, the risk of a serious injury to either of us from a gravel parking lot drop became a stress that was ruining my pleasure.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    500 miles in a day is almost always going to involve interstate (or equivalent) miles. These are more fatiguing to me than 2-lane miles. On the slab, the 3 wheels is less fatiguing. And, 2-lane miles are more fun and less fatiguing on 2 wheels for me. What drove me to the Spyder is when you pull off the road. Approaching our 70's, the risk of a serious injury to either of us from a gravel parking lot drop became a stress that was ruining my pleasure.
    I read through all of the previous responses; this one, "the risk of a serious injury to either of us from a gravel parking lot drop became a stress that was ruining my pleasure." Has become the biggest factor for me, especially when riding two-up. We got my wife a Spyder pretty quickly after a low speed tip over on a two wheeler back in the fall of 2017. Neither of us was injured except for my pride. That event made me realize at 63, I no longer had the reflexes and strength I had enjoyed for most of my life.

That said, we negotiated a very good deal on a used 2014 RTL with low mileage here on SL. The initial thought was to have that for my wife while I continued to ride two wheels. Upon going a good ways to pick up our RT, I figured it would be a pretty good test after having only test ridden a couple of Spyders before the 450 mile trip home. I had read a lot about the comfort and one very important thing to help ease the fatigue of switching from two wheels to three. With three wheels you get a bit of a swaying motion that is just the nature of the beast, unlike being on two wheels where you can track between most of the rough and uneven spots making the road seem smoother. With three wheels, that unevenness of the road is unavoidable and will cause great fatigue until you learn to let the machine move around under you while keeping your upper body as still as possible by just relaxing and let it happen. If you try to anticipate and fight the undulations of the road, it will just wear you out. Since I have always been a back roads type of rider, we took the back roads home from Denton, Tx to north of Amarillo. It took me at least a 1/3 of that rip to get the hang of letting the Spyder rock and sway while I remined still. Once I figured that out, the remaining 300 miles was a pretty relaxing and enjoyable experience.

As for the seat comfort, the RTL turns out to be the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on from the git go. That's comparing to multiple bikes & seats for almost 500K miles since beginning in 1968.

When it's all said and done; the Spyder is considerably less fatiguing than a two wheeler.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I too was one that read the writing on the wall about moving on from 2 wheels to 3. But I may add a word of caution about taking a Spyder out for a test ride and making a decision from that ride. The Spyder is a different animal from any 2 wheel vehicle in the manner in which it handles and can be scary at first if you have well developed muscle memory from 2 wheel riding. (50+ years for me.) I flew out to the mid-west and rode it home 1,500 miles when I purchased mine 3 weeks ago. At the end of the first day of the trip I was ready to sell it. Now that I have gained a different skill set on how to ride the Spyder, I am really enjoying it.

As for comfort, I was able to do 500+ mile on the Gold Wing, and I feel that I can do the same on my RT. No real difference in creature comfort, but the 3 wheels do add a sense of security the 2 wheels doesn't.

Oh, I did own a Fat Boy for a while and you will be appreciative of the overall comfort compared to your Fat Boy. I resigned my FB just to around town riding for a while and ultimately got rid of it because it just sat there unused.

Spyder Garage

I am in the research mode. Injured my right hand at work and have not been able to ride my motorcycle since 5/03/21. Something about not being able to squeeze the front brake makes me nervous. Like the 2020+ RTs with the luggage capabilities. Planning on doing some long rides again. Really hoping I don't have to wrench as much on the Can-Am like I do on my 2005 HD. The HD has been a money pit with fixing the engine, primary, electrical and transmission with its leaking seals.

Spyder Garage

AtomicEd my story was very similar... had a couple scary parking lot incidents that caused me to give up my Yamaha Venture but wasn't ready to stop riding. Couple buddies owned Spyders and I thought that they sounded promising (although I had been mercilessly teasing one of them about his F3S "Mario-Cart" :P ). I came across an incredible deal online, a dealership in northern Ontario (Thunder Bay) selling a 2018 RTL Dark used as a demo (700miles/ 1100km) for $10,000 off new list price. I had never so much as sat on an RTL before, but I hopped a plane, flew out and rode it home 1500km/ 900 miles home in 2 days. First 100 I was terrified and thought I had made a terrible mistake, but by the time I was home I was hooked. Added a back rest, BajaRon bar and lots of lighting and 25,000km later I am thoroughly in love with it. If you know it's time to move away from a heavy 2 wheel crusier.... it doesn't mean the riding needs to stop!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am going to go slightly against the grain here. If you read all the previous posts carefully, they are all rather experienced on their respective Spyders. The Spyder in our family is my wife's. Not long after we got it, I rode it for a weekend to the Southeast oHIo Spyder get-together in Zanesville, OH. I had ridden it around town a bit, so was somewhat comfortable with the controls, but this time, I was commited to an entire weekend.

We did a lunch ride that was 120 miles or so. Can't say that I was "whupped", but I certainly was not relaxed and refreshed at the end of the ride. I have done several 700+ mile days on my Goldwing and several 400+ mile days on my old Suzuki, but neither one of them tired me out as much as the lunch ride on the Spyder. Might get better with more saddle time, but for now, until I am pretty much forced to add a third wheel, I'll stick with my 2 wheels and enjoy them.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    . . . . .

We did a lunch ride that was 120 miles or so. Can't say that I was "whupped", but I certainly was not relaxed and refreshed at the end of the ride. . . . .
    Sounds like you need to learn to not fight the ride and just let it move around under you like I described in my post. My first 150 miles were as you mention, but after I learned "go with the flow" of the machine and road, it all became very relaxing.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

A test ryde sound good. However, it needs to be much more than a ryde around the block. My aches and stifness come in after 1.5 hours, no matter how comfortable the seat feels before then.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

I came to a Spyder after 35 years on 2 wheels. But at 78, and after a tipover of my Goldwing in my garage that I was unable to get the bike upright by myself I decided it was time for a change. But I will offer my observations about a test ride. I first did a test ride on a Spyder back in 2016, and I absolutely hated it. I did the test ride at the urging of my wife, but mentally I was not ready at that time for going to a 3 wheeler that needs to be steered rather than leaned. But the test ride I did earlier this summer was from the perspective of knowing I either needed a much lighter bike than the Goldwing, or needed 3 wheels. I was much more open to the experience and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I bought a new Spyder that day and now two months and 2,000 miles later I could not be more pleased with my decision.

As to the original question of fatigue, I'm not sure. On one hand the tension level is far lower when on the Spyder; no putting a foot down at stops, no concern about tipping over, no worries about a short trip on gravel or grass, and in that way it is less tiring. But steering a 1,000 pound vehicle does take more actual muscle exertion than does leaning even a big Goldwing at speed. So in balance I am not sure which I would say is less tiring, but if I had to pick, I would say that the Spyder is less tiring.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I'm a 75 yo couch potato that now has 15000 miles on a '20 RT. I came off a 650lb, top-heavy sport tourer last Sept. I have logged many many 500+ mi days on both 2 & 3 wheels. My opinion of the 2-wheels vs the RT is mixed. If most of the 500+ miles are on the slab or generally straight riding, the RT wins - hands down over the 2-wheels. However, when those miles have lots of twisties, the extra upper body force needed to point the RT thru the curves burns a lot of calories that a 2-wheeler leans thru (note that I push the RT pretty hard in corners). So, bottom line, going straight 500+ the RT is easier and testing G-forces for 500 is easier on 2 IMHO.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

payelle a rental for a weekend the best.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Having a 2018 Goldwing DCT & a 2020 Spyder RT & having done two 500 mile + days last week & the week before here is my opinion.
    Note Baja Ron sway bar added with alignment to the RT. DCT Wing has Traxxion suspension added(SOTA)
    I enjoy both bikes for different reasons

RADIO-Spyder
    GPS Wing-
    Removable trunk-Spyder
    Seat Comfort-Spyder
    Storage Space-Spyder
    Acceleration-Wing
    DCT Vs RT-Wing
    Ride over rough roads -Wing
    Corners-TIE
    Leg position comfort-Spyder
    Mileage-Wing
    Reg Gas-Wing
    Turning at slow speed -Spyder
    U turns-Spyder
    Gravel or dirt roads-Spyder
    Build quality-Wing
    Front light visability-TIE
    Rear light visability-Spyder

If I had to keep one bike I would go with the Wing but the gap is closer than it was 2 months ago when we purchased the bike.
    Of course my wife would pick the Spyder.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEd View Post
    I too was one that read the writing on the wall about moving on from 2 wheels to 3. But I may add a word of caution about taking a Spyder out for a test ride and making a decision from that ride. The Spyder is a different animal from any 2 wheel vehicle in the manner in which it handles and can be scary at first if you have well developed muscle memory from 2 wheel riding. (50+ years for me.) I flew out to the mid-west and rode it home 1,500 miles when I purchased mine 3 weeks ago. At the end of the first day of the trip I was ready to sell it. Now that I have gained a different skill set on how to ride the Spyder, I am really enjoying it.

As for comfort, I was able to do 500+ mile on the Gold Wing, and I feel that I can do the same on my RT. No real difference in creature comfort, but the 3 wheels do add a sense of security the 2 wheels doesn't.

Oh, I did own a Fat Boy for a while and you will be appreciative of the overall comfort compared to your Fat Boy. I resigned my FB just to around town riding for a while and ultimately got rid of it because it just sat there unused.
    You are correct! A test ride will not determine whether or not you will want to change from 2 to 3. I tested a 2018 in West Plains Mo and could not wait to get off of it--squirrely! Later, after dropping my Tiger 1200 in my driveway and then my NC 750X on the street (stopped) I decided it was time for a change. I have over 2500 miles on my 2021 Spyder RTL and I am now more comfortable negotiating the curves after 60 years of 2 wheels. It takes a while!

Spyder Garage

I love reading the stories everyone has posted here. I am 69 and had a 2018 Harley Road Glide that I loved. I thought it would be my last bike. I hurt my back and had to do a month of rehab to get back on the Glide. I was apprehensive after that and those gravel lots did not inspire confidence. I was at a BMW rally that I have been going to for years. There was an older Spyder and a Sea to Sky at the rally. My friends and I got to inspecting the Spyders and I was surprised to hear my friends say they would ride a Spyder. I had looked at Harley trikes but the cost is stupid high and friends said you have to muscle them around especially in the twisties. When I got back home I decided to go test drive one and and bought it. At first I didn't have a lot of confidence in turns but it sure doesn't take long to figure things out. I just got back from a trip to New Mexico and Arizona. Between Safford, Arizona and Springerville, Arizona is what they call Satan's Highway (191) which is supposed to have 3000 turns. I totally loved it. I feel like I can ride the Spyder anywhere. Even though my Harley ego took a hit, I love this machine.