Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New owner in Arizona with some questions

Hello

I just purchased a new to me 2019 900 ACE with 4600 miles on it. I drove it home and some things have occurred to me.

1) yes the fuel level gauge does not seem to work

2) after riding Hondas for the last 45 years, the high RPM rotax engine is a little different and off-putting.

3) the previous owner apparently put on an after market exhaust or eliminated the baffles in the stock exhaust. I cannot tell but it is so loud that my right ear is now partially deaf after only 30 mile. I did insert wax ear plugs with little help. The is no logo or name on the exhaust.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a quieter exhaust pipe to protect whatever hearing I have left.

Any other pieces of advice would be appreciated. This is surely different than two wheels but I do like the reverse.

Thank you

George
    Arizona

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

look on ebay and put back the OEM exhaust, or check with the person you got the Ryker from they may still have the OEM exhaust to give you.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I find HOWARD LEIGHT Laser Lite earplugs to be the best. ....

Spyder Garage

Regardless of what exhaust you end up with (the stock is pretty decent overall). You should wear ear plugs if you want to keep your hearing. Not to mention not wearing them, you will actually be able to hear less and it will fatigue you more quickly making other sensory preceptors less efficient and slow reaction times.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The engine is designed to run at the higher rpm and is happiest and most efficient running at that rpm. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's fine.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    The engine is designed to run at the higher rpm and is happiest and most efficient running at that rpm. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's fine.
    Absolutely true! Ride it as designed or you will create issues that would not come otherwise. We are supposed to be the adaptable component of the 'Man/Machine' package.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Check Facebook marketplace for a stock exhaust. Lots of people on the FB Ryker groups change out their exhaust for louder ones and sell the OEM exhaust cheap. For some of the young guys, its their first upgrade as soon as they get their machine. I agree with Ron. I personally like the OEM exhaust, not too loud and very pleasant sounding. You definitely have an aftermarket exhaust because you cant remove the baffle from the OEM without tearing up the exhaust can. Below is a video done by RLS showing the Can Am exhaust cut open, the top one on the right is the Ryker.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the responses. I am a big fan of hearing protection and use ear plugs religiously. Even with the waxy moldable ear pugs jammed in my right ear, my hearing is still diminished 24 hours later. I ordered a noise suppressor for the brothers S1R. Some say it works, others not so much. It will arrive tomorrow so here is hoping. After years the military, I cannot afford to lose any more hearing ability.

Next is to find a used original.

George

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by geosar View Post
    Next is to find a used original.

George
    I've reached out to a few people I know in the Ryker community to see if they can hook you up to a source for a used OEM muffler. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Check Facebook marketplace for a stock exhaust. Lots of people on the FB Ryker groups change out their exhaust for louder ones and sell the OEM exhaust cheap. For some of the young guys, its their first upgrade as soon as they get their machine.
    And for some they realized they probably made a mistake and reinstall the OEM muffler. Personally I also preferred the original OEM muffler. I've watched videos on YouTube of some of these mufflers and couldn't help but think their neighbors are really gonna love these guys a 6:00 AM.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Hello

I just purchased a new to me 2019 900 ACE with 4600 miles on it. I drove it home and some things have occurred to me.

1) yes the fuel level gauge does not seem to work Thank you

George
    Arizona
    The fuel gauge on the Ryker is kind of funny due to the design of the fuel tank. You fill it up and it shows full bars, for what seems like forever. Then all of a sudden it drops down to half way and seems to drop faster after that. I found on mine the trip meter was a more accurate indicator of my fuel status. If I was relying on the miles to empty, I never let it go below 20 miles before ducking into a service station. To avoid a fuel over spill which will stain your plastic, I would pump very slowly and stop at or close to five gallons.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Give this man a gold star.

<puts on Engineer hat>

One of the major benefits of a CVT (continuously variable transmission) is that it is eaiser to calibrate to keep the engine in the ideal range of its Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) curve;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake-...el_consumption
    Since the ratio of the CVT is constantly adapting, it keeps the engine RPM at the best spot for efficiency depending on the reuqested torque.

<takes off Engineer hat>

What this means is that when you accelerate, you'll get a pretty constant engine RPM regardless of speed or throttle position. It seems a bit weird, as we are all conditioned by standard transmission vehicles to expect a direct connection between throttle position and engine RPM. We are also used to that changing as we row through each gear.

A CVT will just sit there at the same RPM in its "happy place".

As Navydad says, it just takes a little getting used to.

Later,
    EV
    (Full disclosure: I was the Energy Engineer for the 2013-2019MY Chevrolet Spark CVT)

Spyder Garage

the previous owner apparently put on an after market exhaust or eliminated the baffles in the stock exhaust. I cannot tell but it is so loud that my right ear is now partially deaf after only 30 mile.

Thank you

George
    Arizona
    After talking with a couple of people, the general consensus is you should join a couple of Ryker groups on FaceBook like Can Am Ryker owners, groups like that. There's bound to be someone in Arizona (make sure you mention where you are) that would be willing to give up or sell cheap their OEM muffler. If they were close enough to ride to they might even help you swap out your muffler.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

I hear you (pun intended). Thanks for your service. I served as well. I did purchase, and am still waiting for it to arrive, another exhaust. I listened to all of them online, I purchased one that is quieter, but louder than stock. Some of the one I hear online are so loud I wonder how people are driving around like that. It has to be ear splitting at highway speeds. Then again, I haven't seen a harley that I didn't hear a mile or two away. Apparently BRP has noticed all the exhaust sales and changed their new exhaust to the ankropovic or however you spell it, which is slightly more aggressive sounding, but they kept the scooter horn.

Spyder Garage

George maybe on one of those sites you can find someone who will trade u.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the interest.

I have purchased a db killer designed for the S!R muffler. It should arrive today. I will be interested in seeing what 7-9 db drop will mean to me. There is a fellow in Tucson who makes relatively economical exhausts for the ryker. He says it is quieter than the two brothers. I am also searching for an OEM set.

As in buying the machine the hunt is fun. The Facebook groups are very active and enjoyable to participate with.

First road trip today, wish me luck.

Thank you again
    George
    Arizona

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the interest.

I have purchased a db killer designed for the S!R muffler. It should arrive today. I will be interested in seeing what 7-9 db drop will mean to me. There is a fellow in Tucson who makes relatively economical exhausts for the ryker. He says it is quieter than the two brothers. I am also searching for an OEM set.

As in buying the machine the hunt is fun. The Facebook groups are very active and enjoyable to participate with.

First road trip today, wish me luck.

Thank you again
    George
    Arizona
    Should be a huge drop in volume. 10dB = 10% of the current volume so 7-9dB should tone her down quite a bit.

You might pick up a little more torque as well with the added back pressure. Just a guess. Someone have an opinion on this?

Spyder Garage

Well, all is good in the new Ryker world. This was my first ride. 1) The fuel gauge works. It appears I did not know how to fill the tank properly. Today, I learned and the fuel gauge read full.

2) I inserted the db killer and the bike is perfect. It turns out that 10db drop means a 90% drop in noise. In the whacky work of logarithms 10db is 10 times, 20db is 100 times and 30db is 1000 times. So my 7-9 db lessening insert made the bike a pleasure. Between 5600 and 7000 rpm it just flies and is so quiet. I am not ready for a challenging twisty road, but the ride home, I finally started to get the handling. What a pleasure and at 74 I sense my riding days may not be over so soon. We raced, sort of, up the 15 mile hill to our home and I felt pretty stable.

I used normal mode going out-45 miles and ECO mode coming home. I did not sense much of a difference. It will probably take some time to get into the different modes. Who knows what SPORT will present to me.

Thank you for the advice and help. The PX1 insert was the trick.

George
    Arizona

Spyder Garage

The different modes just change the safety restrictions. They don't change the power.

Spyder Garage

Well, all is good in the new Ryker world. This was my first ride. 1) The fuel gauge works. It appears I did not know how to fill the tank properly. Today, I learned and the fuel gauge read full.
    Just so you know, the gas gauge is wonky on the ryker, it doesn't read correctly. You will be at full, then next thing you know it is below half. There was a member on here that posted why it occurs, something about where they put the float.

Spyder Garage

Agreed, the Rotax motor is happy at high RPM. Speaking from being a Snowmobile rider with the same motor. If you have seen up close (outside the vehicle) either the Ryker or a Snowmobile muffler you will understand why it's so loud with a smaller or straight pipe lol. I prefer the quiet operation. If you want to be noticed put on some more lights and upgrade the horn if it hasn't already been done.

I have no plans for replacing my exhaust or any other "performance" option as there is just not that much performance you can gain out of these bikes. If that is what someone wants they should probably consider another bike.

The 900 or 600 Ryker has more power than anyone should need. Personally, this 900 ACE or Rally is at a price point that is hard to beat for the cost per smile you get.

Anyway! Welcome to the group! I am a noobie here as well, and from my limited experaince here you are in good company, there are lots of fun, friendly and good people here!
    2021 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

2) I inserted the db killer and the bike is perfect. It turns out that 10db drop means a 90% drop in noise. In the whacky work of logarithms 10db is 10 times, 20db is 100 times and 30db is 1000 times. So my 7-9 db lessening insert made the bike a pleasure. Between 5600 and 7000 rpm it just flies and is so quiet. I am not ready for a challenging twisty road, but the ride home, I finally started to get the handling. What a pleasure and at 74 I sense my riding days may not be over so soon. We raced, sort of, up the 15 mile hill to our home and I felt pretty stable.

I used normal mode going out-45 miles and ECO mode coming home. I did not sense much of a difference. It will probably take some time to get into the different modes. Who knows what SPORT will present to me.

Thank you for the advice and help. The PX1 insert was the trick.

George
    Arizona
    Race up the 15 mile hill to home. Green Valley?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

To keep from wearing the CVT belt don't increase the stopped idle speed over 800rpm. I can't rev the throttle like I can with my F3 SM6 manual.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: ' not , ;-)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Good advice from all.

In addition to the db buster from Two Brothers exhausts, I installed a keyless ignition system from Digital Guard Dogs. Nice system and great customer service. Those RFID keys make me nervous for some reason. This way I can have more control over my ignition. I also installed a max mount upon which I placed my EMGO plastic carrying case. Just for fun I bought a locking fuel cap. Lots of accessories available and excellent youtube tutorials .

Spyder Garage

Good advice from all.

In addition to the db buster from Two Brothers exhausts, I installed a keyless ignition system from Digital Guard Dogs. Nice system and great customer service. Those RFID keys make me nervous for some reason. This way I can have more control over my ignition. I also installed a max mount upon which I placed my EMGO plastic carrying case. Just for fun I bought a locking fuel cap. Lots of accessories available and excellent youtube tutorials .
    It still uses the RFID key, does it not?