Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket products. Does anyone know anything about anything?

My son has a 2008 Harley Electraglide Classic. Wants to put on 14" ape hangar bars. Ordered "full" install kit. Didn't come with wire extensions for the turn signals, headlights, etc. Called about it. "Oh, we didn't know whether you wanted those or not. They're extra". If it is supposed to be a full kit, why would there not be the extensions for the wiring? Do they think that you're not planning on using the headlights, etc? Also ordered the extension kit for the throttle by wire system. Entirely different connectors. The dealer is calling the mfg to find out what is going on. Also ordered a flasher kit for the headlights from Kinser. On their website it asks for the year of the bike, mfg, and model. Shows a kit on the screen. Ordered kit. What came was not what was shown on the website. That is bad enough, but what was delivered wasn't even for his machine. Had to call them and get the correct item shipped, I HOPE. Ordered a sheepskin seat cover for my Spyder from Lamonster. Ordered for the driver only. Got a full seat cover. Fine, except I have a drivers backrest and didn't want to have to disassemble 1/2 the bike to get the cover on. They, of course, sent the correct one and I sent the wrong one back.

Does anyone in the motorcycle world have a clue?

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately that is a sign of the times. It happens to all of us and some of the vendors will communicate and some won't. Good luck with Lamonster's.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Did they offer the universal excuse? It's the covid pandemic. I'm so tired of covid being blamed for incompetence.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I can tell you that anyone with a brain that wants to work, is working. The rest are either of another mental capacity, or they don't want to work. The government is paying people not to work. You can create your own scenarios as to why. But the end result is always the same. The ones who remain employed are paying the freight for those who are not. And it makes it hard to get good employees. And believe me, you can't do it all yourself.

I am hoping for a turn-a-round. But I've yet to see it coming.

Not making an excuse for poor customer service. Just saying there are ever more hurdles to overcome these days.

They used to say in the fire service; (particularly if you had the poor judgement to complain). 'If it was easy, everyone would be doing it'. I suppose they were right.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can understand your frustration. Fortunately I haven't noticed a degraded level of service or competence from any of the vendors I use.

I'm also a reasonable and understanding shopper...maybe that has something to do with it? I don't really expect retail workers to know anything about the products they handle. Not talking about commissioned salespeople, of course.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I can tell you that anyone with a brain that wants to work, is working. The rest are either of another mental capacity, or they don't want to work. The government is paying people not to work. You can create your own scenarios as to why. But the end result is always the same. The ones who remain employed are paying the freight for those who are not. And it makes it hard to get good employees. And believe me, you can't do it all yourself.

Not making an excuse for poor customer service. Just saying there are ever more hurdles to overcome these days.

They used to say in the fire service; (particularly if you had the poor judgement to complain). 'If it was easy, everyone would be doing it'. I suppose they were right.
    I know as fact that in the aviation industry, many with a brain are getting out early. The talent pool regarding techs is not very good, and the management pool above them is often worse. The guys with brains no longer want the BS from management, and simply got worn out cleaning up the damage created by those with no talent.

Better to be in a position of answering the phone, taking the good job tasks for worthy money, and turning down the disasters unfolding with a simple no thanks. Agree, it is not getting better.

Same in some other industries as well.

Spyder Garage

The ones with half a brain, go into management, The tech who's a bit savvy, are harder to come by, it's a big problem, that exists all over the world, We make it too easy, for those who don't wanna work.
    We need to get away, from the halfbaked pampered youth, and go Oldskool again, where the experienced techies, give the youth a chance to learn. But nowadays the pressure to perform is much higher, and the experient techies, simply don't have the time, to pass on their Knowledge.....

Internet has brought alot of good things, but makes life on the (work)floor, alot difficulter..... The generation who comes after us oldies, just want to be a millionaire, without putting in the effort...
    This is beginning to look, like a rant, but I run a small Windshield exchange shop overhere, and good staff is harder and harder to come by.

I have 3 on staff, and myself, one is 64, and a real workhorse, one is 45, also a workhorse, and a boy who is 19years old, and he 's learned the "hard"way, that things don't come easy...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Some are good; some otherwise. The good ones will be around for a while . . .
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I haven't noticed a degraded level of service and competence from any of the vendors I use. I'm also a reasonable and understanding shopper...maybe that has something to do with it.
    When a website shows item "A" for a particular machine, and I order item "A", and item "B" arrives, and neither "A" nor "B" is actually correct, I tend to get upset. I am reasonable, but I condone stupidity only so far.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-12-2021 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Fixed colour in quote display

Spyder Garage

It is rampant! The issue is in every industry. I had to make a doctors appointment. Sounds simple, right? First, I had to get my doctor to request a referral. The referral office contacted the insurance company. They contacted the doctor. The doctors office was to call me to set the appointment. Guess what? Every step was somehow bungled, and I’m on the phone several hours each day, trying to sort this out. Still jacked up! Every office ends with “give it a couple of days, then call the next office in the chain”. 4 weeks, I’m no further along than I was! It gets better: the original referral has now expired! Back to square one!!!
    Buying parts for a 13 year old Harley-Davidson that are custom and unique can be frustrating. At least they are available! Spyders don’t have that luxury!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    It is rampant! The issue is in every industry. I had to make a doctors appointment. Sounds simple, right? First, I had to get my doctor to request a referral. The referral office contacted the insurance company. They contacted the doctor. The doctors office was to call me to set the appointment. Guess what? Every step was somehow bungled, and I’m on the phone several hours each day, trying to sort this out. Still jacked up! Every office ends with “give it a couple of days, then call the next office in the chain”. 4 weeks, I’m no further along than I was! It gets better: the original referral has now expired! Back to square one!!!
    Buying parts for a 13 year old Harley-Davidson that are custom and unique can be frustrating. At least they are available! Spyders don’t have that luxury!
    I feel your frustration. I go through the same thing. BTW, are you going to be in Deland in Nov?

Spyder Garage

It does not look that way. Rallies are on, then off, then on….damn COVID! Even if it’s on, the number of customers might not be large enough to warrant a couple thousand mile ride. We love Florida! Been once this year, will probably go again. Just not to do alignments.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

With that said : additionally there are those I didn’t want/trust working around
    For personal safety not just COVID safety 6922C4A4-6959-4784-91A3-6534F904D430.jpg
    FYI :To be fair unfortunately have been removed from the workforce as of 2012 TBI,sorry can maybe mow yard/help &share some info or jokes. Thank the LORD can even do that

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Time for this one again!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I was listening to an interview with a employment consultant. He said graduates are leaving college with degrees not knowing how to work. In many cases the example of their professors is take time off whenever you want and there's no need to live work life according to the clock. IMO, the younger generation isn't being taught how to work. One reason is kids can grow up easily without having to do chores and work for their spending money. Some of the responsibility for the issues complained about above does come back to the older generation, not because we have been neglectful but because of the automated world we have developed. After all, hasn't the mantra for years in the corporate world been, "Reduce labor costs!". We now are reaping the results of that attitude.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

We've removed the 'Necessity' part. And so now we are losing the 'Invention' part. When people demand a 'Living Wage' for entry level jobs. We will end up losing both.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

When people demand a 'Living Wage' for entry level jobs. We will end up losing both.
    Wages for entry level jobs aren't near the problem that low wages for jobs above entry level is. My daughter works as a home healthcare provider. Between the per hour wage and number of hours the company is willing to provide she can't anywhere near afford an apartment. She's living with us. My son works for Hon Furniture running all sorts of stamping, welding, and painting machines. Even with health insurance in the package what he is paid isn't enough to pay rent, buy groceries, gasoliine, and such and leave enough to buy a decent used car.

The wage and salary structure of this country is really screwed up. The rich are doing just fine. The working poor are struggling. Corporate leaders and financial tycoons bear most of the responsibility.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

He said graduates are leaving college with degrees not knowing how to work.

Just spoke with a Marine who is on 100% disability due to wounds in Afghanistan, who had a platoon leader who just got out of ROTC. What was his major in college....wait for it....Chinese art history. You can't make this stuff up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I was listening to an interview with a employment consultant. He said graduates are leaving college with degrees not knowing how to work. In many cases the example of their professors is take time off whenever you want and there's no need to live work life according to the clock. IMO, the younger generation isn't being taught how to work. One reason is kids can grow up easily without having to do chores and work for their spending money. Some of the responsibility for the issues complained about above does come back to the older generation, not because we have been neglectful but because of the automated world we have developed. After all, hasn't the mantra for years in the corporate world been, "Reduce labor costs!". We now are reaping the results of that attitude.
    The purpose of college is to develop thinking skills, not working skills. The problem I think is too many 'college students' don't really belong there and there are too many unskilled workers in the work force chasing the same dwindling market for unskilled labor.

Employers are increasingly demanding college degrees for jobs that don't really require an advanced education..

We need a well developed trade school system in this country as a viable alternative to college or the military for young people with ambition. And, Capitalists need to appreciate and respect hard working laborers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The problem is, is that even if it is easy, nobody wants to do it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can tell you that anyone with a brain that wants to work, is working. The rest are either of another mental capacity, or they don't want to work.
    I don't think it's that simple. Any time the economy goes through a major realignment good people suffer. I was an underemployed single dad from 1993 to 1996 due to no fault of my own. I literally chased employment opportunities from coast to coast during that time. I was highly qualified and willing to accept lower paying jobs, but nothing worked out for long until the economy turned around in the late 1990s.

I think we should quit blaming fellow Americans who find themselves on the short end of the economic stick for their own predicament or failures. That solves nothing and only serves to divide us, to the enormous delight of the wealthy and powerful.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The purpose of college is to develop thinking skills, not working skills. The problem I think is too many 'college students' don't really belong there and there are too many unskilled workers in the work force chasing the same dwindling market for unskilled labor.

Employers are increasingly demanding college degrees for jobs that don't really require an advanced education..

We need a well developed trade school system in this country as a viable alternative to college or the military for young people with ambition. And, Capitalists need to appreciate and respect hard working laborers.
    Professors have an obligation to demonstrate by example good working attitudes. When it comes to life skills people learn more by example than by book reading. Colleges also need to help students understand the reality of work life. Over 40 years ago I hired a guy who was desperately trying to get into journalism. He graduated from one of the UC schools with a degree in Journalism. He obviously had been given all the hype about how great a career he was going to have. When he left school with his diploma he said, "OK, world, here I am!" The world responded with, "Yeah, so?" He didn't know how to deal with it.

I was fed a lot of hype about how great the engineering field is. What I found was that most engineering work was super tech mundane stuff, and in some cases nothing more than applying recipes from engineering manuals. Only about 10% of engineering involved real creative engineering.

I particularly agree with your comments about corporate appreciation for the labor force and the need for more technical training. I've had experience with college grads trying to run a manufacturing line when they didn't know what they were doing. On the other hand I used to josh with my non-grad fellow workers and told them that everyone knows a college degree is worth ten years experience! They knew I was kidding of course.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I recall, my 10 years with the Navy translated to 15 semester credits when I started Community College.
    2014 RTL Platinum