Spyder Garage

Default Opinion needed for Oil on 2016 RTS

I have about 9 quarts of Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic oil left from my previous Spyder. Specs on the 2016 RT call for 5W40. What are your thoughts on using the 10W40 for the next oil change on the 2016 RTS? Will order the 5W40 on next order, but do not want to waste the very good Amsoil oil I have on hand.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    I have about 9 quarts of Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic oil left from my previous Spyder. Specs on the 2016 RT call for 5W40. What are your thoughts on using the 10W40 for the next oil change on the 2016 RTS? Will order the 5W40 on next order, but do not want to waste the very good Amsoil oil I have on hand.
    You won't have any issues using that weight oil ..... and BajaRon ( who is an Amsoil dealer ) actually recommends this weight over 5W40 ....However if you still want to use a 5W40 get Rotella T-6 .... it's full syn. & at Walmrt a lot less expensive than Amsoil ..... go to the Shell website and see what re-bates they have ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I have an Amsoil membership, so buy my oil direct and use it on all of my vehicles.

Spyder Garage

I Guys
    Shell rotella T6 5w40

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

BRP recommended 10/40 when they sold 10/40.

Now they have 5/40 so the recommend that.

If they discontinue the 5/40, they will probably start recommending the 0/40 that they still carry. And everyone will be asking if the 5/40 they still have is OK.

It's more a matter of selling what you carry than selling what's best for the vehicle. I still think a 10/40 is a better fit for the Spyder than a 5/40.

There are thousands of 1330 owners running various versions of 10/40 in their Spyders with great results. Use it and relax! You're just fine!

It will not affect your warranty at all. Though some dealerships might tell you different to get you to purchase their product. The truth has always been valuable But it's getting scarce these days.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-25-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Use it. You'll probably never start your Spyder in cold temperatures where 5 vs 10 will have any impact.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bajaron View Post
    brp recommended 10/40 when they sold 10/40.

Now they have 5/40 so the recommend that.

If they discontinue the 5/40, they will probably start recommending the 0/40 that they still carry. And everyone will be asking if the 5/40 they still have is ok.

It's more a matter of selling what you carry than selling what's best for the vehicle. I still think a 10/40 is a better fit for the spyder than a 5/40.

There are thousands of 1330 owners running various versions of 10/40 in their spyders with great results. Use it and relax! You're just fine!

It will not affect your warranty at all. Though some dealerships might tell you different to get you to purchase their product. the truth has always been valuable but it's getting scarce these days.
    amen!!

Spyder Garage

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 1.26.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 1.27.57 PM.jpg

Mobil one full synthetic 4T racing is rated JASO MA safe for wet clutches and has significant phosphorus and zinc for wear... you can get 12 qts at walmart for like $105 ...and mobil has a rebate now that ends 8-31-21 for another $20
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White