Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anybody used regular gas in the spyder RT? Any performance loss?

Somebody ever used regular gas in the spyder RT and noticed a difference in performance?

Spyder Garage

I used it a few times mainly on a muscle memory accident. I really did not notice a big difference until I got my pedal commander, then it became real clear. I could feel the knocks and the loss of low end torque as I was getting all of it with a short throttle twist. Higher compression needs higher octane to prevent a misfire. I think the 1330 is 12:1. I try and use 90 E0 in summer. Then 9x E10 when the temps fall. Depending on your altitude the difference can be greater.

What I don't know about the Spyder is if it has variable cam timing. My guess is no as it states higher octane fuel only. If it does then you are going to notice the difference more when you run higher octane gas for a while and then drop down to 87 as the ECM picks up on the misfires right away. The other way around it takes a while for for the ECM to realize your fuel is not causing misfire and adjust the timing accordingly.

All that being said. If you put on 10k miles a year on your Spyder and average 30MPG and 9X fuel is .30 more per gallon you spend $100 more on fuel per year. Worth it to me considering the price we pay to own one.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Regular 87 octane 90% of the time. No issues or weird running conditions noted with my 2015RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

If one tours extensively one will run into places where there is no higher octane fuel available. In my experience the ECU compensates for the regular and I notice no difference in performance of mileage. YMMV.

I agree with Schreckftw, if one can afford to purchase a Spyder one can afford the recommended fuel -- and my wife says I'm world-class cheap.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I think Idaho Mountain Spyder kept an extensive log over a long time of his experience with difference fuel grades and posted his conclusions here. Maybe he will chime in.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 RTL SE6 with 21,000 miles. It has the 1330 triple engine. I ran 87 octane in it once and could detect pinging. Since then I have always run the highest rated gas I can purchase, usually 91 octane because 93 octane is not ordinarily available in this part of the country. The difference in cost is minimal.

Spyder Garage

Interesting subject. I used to buy the cheapest (87) and then started buying top tier gas, still 87. Could be my imagination, but when I don't use top tier gas I hear a pinging when I start from a stop. I have run 92 but really didn't notice a difference. Also, my 03 tacoma does not like cheap gas (non top tier gas).

Spyder Garage

I switched our 2014 RTL to regular last summer and haven't gone back . I was getting in the range of 36-39 using Shell Premium, before switching over to regular.
    I now AVERAGE 40-41 MPG with "0" issues in performance. BTW we always ride 2 up.......at the weight limits
    Approx. Probably 15,000 miles of riding and filling up (normally at around 170-180 miles) since the switch. I also have a lot of the fill up data to verify this - (date, miles travelled at fillup, gal. to fill, MPG calc.)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jreijers View Post
    Somebody ever used regular gas in the spyder RT and noticed a difference in performance?
    BACK IN 2009, when i 1st got a SPYD3R, i ran 91 octane for the 1st fill-up... 2nd fill-up, 87 octane, and 3 SPYD3RS & 130,000+ miles of smiles later i'm still running 87.... ZERO ISSUES whatsoever, and better MPG as well... however, i must confess, i use NO "E" GAS.... there are more BTU's 100% gas, than in the Ethanol gas... just say'n....
    save your $ and go 87...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I have a 2019 RTL SE6 with 21,000 miles. It has the 1330 triple engine. I ran 87 octane in it once and could detect pinging. Since then I have always run the highest rated gas I can purchase, usually 91 octane because 93 octane is not ordinarily available in this part of the country. The difference in cost is minimal.
    IF you detected " pinging " then something is wrong with the engine management system .... I have 62,000 + plus miles using only 87 oct. ( with ethyl ) and Never had an issue. I ride hard and also use " ECO " a lot. ..... Others here also ONLY use 87 with no issues .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Another here who has been using 87 octane for many years. I have used it full time in my last five Spyders, 998, and 1330.

Personally, I detect NO pinging or lack of performance. Since moving to Arkansas in 2019, I also use 10% ethanol with the 87 octane.

As BK stated above, the engine management system takes care of the glitches.

I used the highest test I could buy for the first two Spyders (a GS 2008 and an RS 2009). No difference noted.

And...I consistently get 39-41 miles per gallon.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-25-2021 at 06:00 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven't noticed any difference between in performance using regular gas 87 octane and 91 octane gas.
    The biggest difference in performance that I've noticed comes from using the non-ethanol fuel. I only get that in upstate NY when I'm on trips in the area.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Just to comment (brag?) that I filled up with 91 octane yesterday at SAM's Club for $2.799 a gallon, which is what other stations were charging for 87 octane.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Based on things written here, I switched to 87 with alcohol (seldom can find without) because I am cheap. No difference that I can feel. No pinging, hesitation, etc. But, I also don't push it. I am an old man and don't do twistys and power slides.

Spyder Garage

I never put more than 5.2 gallons in to fill my 2014 RTL. Always 91 octane. It is about $.25 more per gallon than the 87 octane. .... only $1.30 more per fill-up. If that tiny little bit of money is a big issue; then keep using the cheap stuff. I think we can all afford the 4 or 5 dollars a month that the good stuff costs.(?!?) "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" is good advice. Most of you all spend way more than that on Farkels that I could not care less about. Just one man's opinion.(??)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    I never put more than 5.2 gallons in to fill my 2014 RTL. Always 91 octane. It is about $.25 more per gallon than the 87 octane. .... only $1.30 more per fill-up. If that tiny little bit of money is a big issue; then keep using the cheap stuff. I think we can all afford the 4 or 5 dollars a month that the good stuff costs.(?!?) "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" is good advice. Most of you all spend way more than that on Farkels that I could not care less about. Just one man's opinion.(??)
    Redrazor - I don't understand your point here. You didn't say anything in favor of "getting more performance or reducing maintenance costs"......just that you will spend money on something you probably don't need, regardless of facts proving otherwise. Am I missing something??
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jreijers View Post
    I have from the very beginning since new in 2020. Regularly get 38 to 40 mpg.

Spyder Garage

2020 rtl limited, 14k miles more 87 octane than premium, no difference in performance whether in town driving or on long trips. no difference on flat vs mountain driving, hot humid or chilly wether.

Spyder Garage

i use what ever the manual calls for in all my bikes. Usually it's 9x. Never tried regular but if I had to in a pinch I'm sure I would be OK for a tankful.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I use only 87, have been for 84,000 miles on the same Spyder.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I think Idaho Mountain Spyder kept an extensive log over a long time of his experience with difference fuel grades and posted his conclusions here. Maybe he will chime in.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=guess+premium

Compression per se does not dictate the need for premium to avoid pre-ignition. Pre-ignition is caused by elements inside the combustion chamber staying so hot they cause the fuel to ignite before the piston is at prescribed position near top dead center. What I figure is the combustion chamber of the Rotax engine is so smoothly crafted there are no sharp features inside the chamber that stay hot enough to cause early combustion.

Regular fuel ignites at a lower temperature than does premium.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Based on things written here, I switched to 87 with alcohol (seldom can find without) because I am cheap. No difference that I can feel. No pinging, hesitation, etc. But, I also don't push it. I am an old man and don't do twistys and power slides.
    alcohol or ethanol?
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ethanol is grain alcohol.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Redrazor - I don't understand your point here. You didn't say anything in favor of "getting more performance or reducing maintenance costs"......just that you will spend money on something you probably don't need, regardless of facts proving otherwise. Am I missing something??
    I really do think it starts quicker with the high test. No trouble with pre ignition ever. I don't do everything the manual says. But I'll continue to use the high test and keep being happy with the way it runs. Everyone to their own choice, I guess.

Spyder Garage

The 1330 is a high compression engine and needs the high octane fuel to run properly. Lower octane fuel will cause detonation and will cause engine damage. What these things cost I am not going to take the chance of damaging the engine. If you run in to any kind of engine issues and they find out that you are running low octane fuel it may void the warranty. Just saying...