Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shardt View Post
    The 1330 is a high compression engine and needs the high octane fuel to run properly.
    Optimally would be a more accurate term than properly. User experience shows that the "good enough" point of engine performance with regular is so close to the optimal point with premium there is no practical difference between them. As has been said several times throughout the years of this forum the high level of engine control enables this to be the case.

Lower octane fuel will cause detonation
    Not so. Lower octane does not cause detonation. It simply will detonate more easily at lower temperature and pressure than will premium. If there is no feature such as sharp corners or carbon particles inside the combustion chamber that remain hot enough to ignite the fuel, detonation or pre ignition will not occur.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Learning lots from this and the 2017 thread that Idaho started in 2017 (post 21). Almost as much fun as an oil or tire thread.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    I never put more than 5.2 gallons in to fill my 2014 RTL. Always 91 octane. It is about $.25 more per gallon than the 87 octane. .... only $1.30 more per fill-up. If that tiny little bit of money is a big issue; then keep using the cheap stuff. I think we can all afford the 4 or 5 dollars a month that the good stuff costs.(?!?) "Penny Wise and Pound Foolish" is good advice. Most of you all spend way more than that on Farkels that I could not care less about. Just one man's opinion.(??)
    I agree with using the higher octane when it's available. On a recent trip across western Ks. into Nebraska, there was only 87 octane available until I got closer to Harlan co, lake where non-ethanol premium was available for the boat guys. I didn't notice any difference in power or mileage as it was usually a "mix" of the remaining 91 with the 87. Don't ever grab the E-85 handle by mistake as I did long ago on a KLR--at a Caseys in Western Ks.

Spyder Garage

If you run in to any kind of engine issues and they find out that you are running low octane fuel it may void the warranty. Just saying...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    If you run in to any kind of engine issues and they find out that you are running low octane fuel it may void the warranty. Just saying...
    " Just sayin " NOPE - even IF they could or do find it. It won't have any effect on the WARRANTY - - Why because 91 + octane is only RECOMMENDED ..... Not mandatory. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Moderator stuff:

Two sides are lining up. Use high test, don't use high test.

Just reminding everyone to keep it friendly. SO FAR IT IS.

No need to make threats as to how the machine will blow up, etc. if you don't use high test. Each side has good reasons. Post them, but don't try to defend them with your life or as if your answer is the only one that counts.

We have all made our points pretty good so far. Your all welcome to do whatever you want. It will only affect you.

Me, I'm a big boy now and no one is going to change what I do. I have not damaged any of the five spyders that have been running my favorite grade.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It's your bike put in it what you want.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm a new Spyder owner so I have no practical experience. When the tech at the dealership was going through everything with me on a new to me 2015 RT-Special he said regular gasoline was fine. I didn't even ask. My manual says to use Premium. Thanks for those above who did the math on costs. (I hate math.) I'm thinking I'll run Premium.

Here Ari explains it: https://youtu.be/z_IVvVz4SSg

Spyder Garage

Where I am, currently gas is $3.79 a gallon for regular and $3.99 a gallon for premium. On a five gallon fill up, that's a difference of about a buck. Not worth going cheap, throw in the good stuff.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Although I use regular plus 10% ethanol, thankfully, cost factors have never been a consideration. I explained my rationale above.

Our current pricing is $2.79 for regular and about 40 cents a gallon higher for the premium.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The 1330 engine does have a knock sensor. So if you do experience some form of pre-detonation, caused by too low of an octane, the knock sensor should pull timing and reduce overall performance at any given moment. Generally, if you're hard out on a hot day (high intake temperatures), you're more likely to see some performance issues if you burn regular. Cooler days and moderate driving, you may never notice the difference. Many other factors involved in causing pre-detonation other than gas octane, mostly those that affect lambda, like dirty injectors, dirty air filters, cam chain wear, etc.

Bottom line is that each person (and each engine) will experience different results. Results do vary.