Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wanna know why Amazon, Ebay and others exist?

Went to my dealer April 22, 2021 to get a fuel filter for my 2015 F3. Didn't have one. He ordered it and charged me and said it will be here next Tues. Went there "next Tues." and they didn't have it yet. Went the following week on a Friday. No fuel filter. Told it was back ordered. Called dealer yesterday 24 Aug 2021. Dealer said they won't be in until Sep 22, 202l and offered me a refund. I took it. HELLO E-bay! I tried to support my local dealer and all I did was waste time, gas and got a headache. It was only $18 and change. He'll survive.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Is your dealer getting his parts on Ebay??? What are you trying to say??? If you are trying to say you should have gone to ebay, your right!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Is your dealer getting his parts on Ebay??? What are you trying to say??? If you are trying to say you should have gone to ebay, your right!!!!
    I find it hard to believe my post is difficult to understand.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

You could have gone to a local auto parts store and gotten it faster and at less expense than from a dealership.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I, like you, try to support local business as much as possible. We just saved $300 on a washer and dryer combo by buying local instead of a big box store and the local place has an actual repairman if needed. However there are some things such as Spyder and Moto Guzzi items that I order online. Spyder dealership is 40 miles away and Guzzi dealer is 100. I will call and ask if they have filters, gaskets etc. and if they have them in stock I'll have them send it to me. If not in stock I won't do the "we can order that for you" crap. I can order it myself and get it quicker.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I've have genuine BRP fuel filters in stock. Can ship it out today. $20.75 delivered.

Did you get a BRP fuel filter for $18 and change? Be careful. The Spyder/Ryker use a high pressure fuel delivery system which includes the fuel filter. You need a filter that will take the pressure. I have seen fuel filters listed for the Spyder/Ryker that will not stand up to the pressure used in these machines.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-25-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

You are right and about that "we can order it for ..." I guess in this case, I could have let "my fingers do the walking" as they used to say and called the dealer first to see if he had the filter before I went there. I frequently tell my wife I can buy what I need from the comfort of my computer chair and have it delivered to the door in a couple days rather than shop from store to store. There's not much I need immediately that I can't wait a few days for. But I do believe in giving my local businesses my business to support them. I'll go back to the dealer when I need to. I was just pointing out why people turn to alternatives for stuff they need.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Many dealers are now stocking minimum to no parts. The Covid slowdown has not helped with the overnight or next day delivery many dealers were counting on to get parts and save on inventory money.

Common items are available from Amazon for sure. I always try local, but Amazon wins out a lot. And I get free delivery (no prime) and within a week or less. I have NEVER had to wait for anything ordered on Amazon. Have not used the local WalMart since March of 2020 when Covid came on. And the cost is even lower in most cases.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-26-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I understood exactly what you were saying. When I go to a store and they tell me "I can order for you", my reply is: I can order it myself-I came to your store to see if you carried it. I agree that sometimes we pay a little more online, but I receive it fast most of the time.

Spyder Garage

Whenever I can, I order from this forum's sponsors. I have never been disappointed - prices are fair, knowledge is excellent, service and delivery is very fast. I will order from eBay as a last resort for an item that is not available from the sponsors or locally. I will never use Amazon, their prices can be way higher than most other sources. Example: I looked up split exhaust clams on Amazon, in order to take a photo to my local, independent auto parts store. Amazon's price is $18 plus shipping as I don't have prime. My store had them priced at $4.95. Go figure.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've have genuine BRP fuel filters in stock. Can ship it out today. $20.75 delivered.

Did you get a BRP fuel filter for $18 and change? Be careful. The Spyder/Ryker use a high pressure fuel delivery system which includes the fuel filter. You need a filter that will take the pressure. I have seen fuel filters listed for the Spyder/Ryker that will not stand up to the pressure used in these machines.
    As I understand you need special high-pressure hose clamps also when you install a new fuel filter. Not the usual small radiator-style hose clamps. And speaking of Amazon and other mail order deliveries by UPS and USPS, we are on our 4th lost package. The previous 3 messed-up deliveries have already been replaced or refunded. This last one was an expensive one and it may not end up as well as the last 3. We'll see in the coming weeks how they resolve it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Whenever I can, I order from this forum's sponsors. I have never been disappointed - prices are fair, knowledge is excellent, service and delivery is very fast. I will order from eBay as a last resort for an item that is not available from the sponsors or locally. I will never use Amazon, their prices can be way higher than most other sources. Example: I looked up split exhaust clams on Amazon, in order to take a photo to my local, independent auto parts store. Amazon's price is $18 plus shipping as I don't have prime. My store had them priced at $4.95. Go figure.
    Note: Amazon Shipping: Most items you order will tell you if they incluide free shipping. Prime not required. Many times it has to do with "minimum" orders. In most cases $20 or more. In two years, I only had to pay shipping on one item and that amounted to less than $10. At checkout, there are a few options. They are always trying to sell "Prime," but I have never signed up. In all cases there is a "free" shipping option. You do NOT get next day delivery all the time, but most items are a week or less in transit. And sometimes, I get "prime" shipping anyway...at no extra charge. It's up to the supplier. I have found most items to be "less" than most retailers advertise. I have even bought a couple "big ticket" guitars for less than the big boys sell them for...and that included free shipping (a big item on guitars).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

ARtraveler...I hear ya loud and clear and I agree. BUT like those who don't like Starbucks, or Walmart, I don't like Amazon, just on principle. The example I gave did not offer free shipping, and I know many items do.
    Maybe I am overly sensitive because I had a retail business that on line buyers stole sales from me and I was discounting steeply. So I stand by my word, that I like to do what I can to keep the ma and pa brick and mortar stores going, especially this forum's sponsors.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Many dealers are now stocking minimum to no parts in stock. The Covid slowdown has not helped with the overnight or next day delivery many dealers were counting on to get parts and save on inventory money.

Common items are available from Amazon for sure. I always try local, but Amazon wins out a lot. And I get free delivery (no prime) and within a week or less. I have NEVER had to wait for anything ordered on Amazon. Have not used the local WalMart since March of 2020 when Covid came on. And the cost is even lower in most cases.
    It's not just Spyder's though ..... try getting almost any part for an Auto or Truck at a dealership .... They stopped stocking even common parts decades ago when the vehicle maker stopped fronting the parts to the dealers ....jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    ARtraveler...I hear ya loud and clear and I agree. BUT like those who don't like Starbucks, or Walmart, I don't like Amazon, just on principle. The example I gave did not offer free shipping, and I know many items do.
    Maybe I am overly sensitive because I had a retail business that on line buyers stole sales from me and I was discounting steeply. So I stand by my word, that I like to do what I can to keep the ma and pa brick and mortar stores going, especially this forum's sponsors.
    I hear ya! We recently bought a new freezer. Our choices were Home Depot or the mom & pop appliance store. Mom & Pop won. Even though the same make and model freezer was $90 more than HD was offering. We also felt we were getting better service and the people were more knowledgeable about the product...and...they have a repairman on staff.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is the rub with that and free shipping....There is no such thing! No carrier says hey I will take all your shipments for free. Its being paid by someone. That someone is the little guy or you. Amazon and Walmart.com are market places. This means a lot of small business sell products on those platforms. When it says free shipping either they are building it back in the price or that small business is taking a hit on what they sell.

Even with that I still buy online. I want to buy local but its hard. Like many say they just end up ordering it and you can do that yourself.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Inventories in local stores are shrinking rapidly. Covid, inflation, and government handouts have all taken their toll on the American marketplace. And it isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Here is the rub with that and free shipping....There is no such thing! No carrier says hey I will take all your shipments for free. Its being paid by someone. That someone is the little guy or you. Amazon and Walmart.com are market places. This means a lot of small business sell products on those platforms. When it says free shipping either they are building it back in the price or that small business is taking a hit on what they sell.

Even with that I still buy online. I want to buy local but its hard. Like many say they just end up ordering it and you can do that yourself.
    There are so many things in this life that people 'Know' that are not true. This is one of them.

NOTE!
    I've gotten some PM's asking what I meant here. Sorry if it was not clear. I simply wanted to say that some actually believe that there is 'Free Shipping'. 'Free Shipping is just a marketing ploy. People love to get stuff for free. So, psychological, they will gravitate to 'Free Shipping' when there may be less expensive alternatives where shipping is charged. The thing to keep in mind is; 'How much money is going from my pocket to yours?' This will keep you from paying more than you have too if this is the only factor you are looking at.

Same thing applies to corporations, or any business, paying taxes. All business expenses (including taxes) are passed on to the buyer. So, when you raise taxes on those rich, greedy businesses. This increase is passed on to you in the form of higher product prices. The only winner is Government. They get the increase in revenue for doing nothing more than putting ink on paper. They didn't design or create anything. They didn't improve anything. But they get a revenue increase. The business charging more for their product isn't making any more profit. They are just breaking even on the forced cost increase. But business gets the blame for raising prices. And the very person who wanted the increased taxation on someone else, ends up unhappy with the results. But because they never see the shell game. They will vote for the same scenario all over again.

It's an amazing world we live in these days.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-28-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are so many things in this life that people 'Know' that are not true. This is one of them.
    Cool just make that awesome statement without any detail as to what you think is wrong about my statement.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

My experience exactly!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Cool just make that awesome statement without any detail as to what you think is wrong about my statement.
    I didn't think anything was wrong with your statement. I was agreeing with you! Obviously, I didn't do a very good job of communicating this. Sorry...

Spyder Garage

RE: Free shipping

Most of us are aware that shipping is a part of the "overhead" of the business. The company is going to pay for "free" shipping some way, some how.

If I am comparing prices AND get free shipping on an item that also has the "lower" price, I still consider the shipping as "free." I get the item I want for the "lowest" price AND they throw in "free" shipping on top of that. I see WIN, WIN for me anyway.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    Went to my dealer April 22, 2021 to get a fuel filter for my 2015 F3. Didn't have one. He ordered it and charged me and said it will be here next Tues. Went there "next Tues." and they didn't have it yet. Went the following week on a Friday. No fuel filter. Told it was back ordered. Called dealer yesterday 24 Aug 2021. Dealer said they won't be in until Sep 22, 202l and offered me a refund. I took it. HELLO E-bay! I tried to support my local dealer and all I did was waste time, gas and got a headache. It was only $18 and change. He'll survive.
    FILTER is OTC at most all auto parts stores... see pic... the BIG issue is; REPLACING IT... basically, you need to remove most all of the upper Tuperware, windshield included, to get to the @*#$%$& thing....
    20180320_132434.jpg 20180320_091100.jpg 20180319_140008 (1).jpg
    good luck...
    Dan
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it was mentioned above, but again, make sure it's a high-pressure filter. BajaRon OEM filter for $20.75 and free shipping. LOL!

Spyder Garage

I ordered the exact Can Am part on E-bay. Should have it soon and sooner than the dealer will get his supply.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit