Spyder Garage

Default Flood Info-Maggie Valley

Did flooding impact Maggie Valley? Will it impact Spyder Adventures?

Spyder Garage

DOUBT THAT, they would / did get some rain, but a ways away Canton bore the brunt of the downpour. BRP between Hwy 215 & 276 is closed for a while to clear landslides and washouts. blacklightening - member here is traveling up there soon to give a report
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

If you ride US-276 between Brevard and Waynesville you go through Cruso which was pretty badly hit.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am thinking that Maggie Valley and points to the west should be good. As stated above, the BRP between 276 & 215 (great roads by the way) will be closed for a bit. I was going to head up there this week, but wife couldn't get off work, so it will be going the week leading up to Labor Day weekend (9/1-4). My brother has been quite ill, and that is the only thing that might stand in the way of the trip next week. But if I am able to make it, I will be reporting on what I find.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am thinking that Maggie Valley and points to the west should be good. As stated above, the BRP between 276 & 215 (great roads by the way) will be closed for a bit. I was going to head up there this week, but wife couldn't get off work, so it will be going the week leading up to Labor Day weekend (9/1-4). My brother has been quite ill, and that is the only thing that might stand in the way of the trip next week. But if I am able to make it, I will be reporting on what I find.
    Thanks ..... & sending ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

News just reported that Newfound Gap Road (that would be US441) is closed from Sugarlands Visitor Center South to Smokemont Campground Road due to a landslide. Might plan an alternate around that. They do have contractors working today to clear it, and are pretty quick to fix such problems.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    News just reported that Newfound Gap Road (that would be US441) is closed from Sugarlands Visitor Center South to Smokemont Campground Road due to a landslide. Might plan an alternate around that. They do have contractors working today to clear it, and are pretty quick to fix such problems.
    I am not familiar with that campground. Would it be clear between Cherokee and Gatlinburg?

Spyder Garage

No. Sugarlands and Smokemont are both between Cherokee and Gatlinburg.
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Don’t quote me on this in a month (October) but a buddy of mine had reservations at smokemont Labor Day weekend. If you have reservations at smokemont (specifically Loop F) which is the only RV sites in the campground you can not get to them right now. The bridge is smashed up a little and the bath house was flooded at smokemont campground. It seems only loop F is affected. They are working on fixing the bridge washout and will reopen when everything is cleared. If you remember about 7 years ago the same thing happened accept the bridge was destroyed and the bathhouse was taken off its foundation. 2 years before the big fires I think. Smokemont is on the right about 1/2 mile after the visitor center coming into the Smokey’s. About 1.5 miles from the edge of Cherokee heading north. ( Maggie valley is about 30 miles east of smokemont) don’t think anyone would have reservations there but just wanted to pass on.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Hold tight people. Looks like there is another tropical storm coming up that could affect the mountains and parts of Tennessee about middle of next week. We had reservations for going up 9/1-5, but decided to cancel. If things are not bad and we are able to get some time in toward the later part of next week, we are still planning on going. This time of year there is always the chance of rain, but most of the time it only last from a half to maybe a day. Either way, we are definitely going to be there 10/6-10.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm all for enjoying time with riding friends but you couldn't pay me enough to be in a group of people right now. Look what happened after Sturgis. Nope.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm all for enjoying time with riding friends but you couldn't pay me enough to be in a group of people right now. Look what happened after Sturgis. Nope.
    " Sturgis " ..... not much re-ported after it was over .... of course the " WOKE " Media didn't like that info ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

One always has to consider the source, but from interviews of some medical personnel who are on scene:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/sturgi...ent-looks-like.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I understand your concern. But for me, I only spend less than an hour at the official site location. We keep space and wear our mask when inside or confined locations. For me it is all about the ride. Whether it is alone or with others. After checking on the forecast and on my brother's health, we decided to go next week, but not until Friday. The storm should be passed by then and some great waterfalls to view with the added rain. Going to spend 3 days there. I will report back on what I see.

Spyder Garage

Monk, I agree with the concerns dealing with COVID but South Dakota and Wyoming there’s two things not explained very well. First, both are a spring and fall residence state. Most of the real residence in those two states leave in the winter and summer. So right now, harvest time, the population is at it highest. In the summer 3/4 of the people are travelers from other states. Of course the numbers go up, there’s more people now as in residence. Travelers go home then get reported in their state. The residence of South Dakota are being reported in their state. Since they are all home the numbers go up. Second, look at the population of those 2 states. I think Wyoming is only 1/2 million and South Dakota is like maybe 3/4 million residence total. 1 person in that state is equal to 20 in the eastern and southern states. So of course the stats are going to be higher. 50 people in South Dakota or Wyoming is 1 percent vs 50 people in say Florida is not even .01 percent. So yes the cases might have risen, today it’s 600 percent higher. really that isn’t many people overall. I not saying it’s not bad, but numbers can be skewed based on the population. SD AND WY population # is very low, so the overall impact number will be very high for each person tested positive. 50 people in South Dakota is 600 percent increase. 50 peopl in Florida, same number, is actually a 10 percent decrease. Same amount of people in both but a totally different report because of the population.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I get what everybody is saying. I really do. The fact is that after the Sturgis rally, the new COVID cases skyrocketed. Could be it would have happened even without the rally although I doubt it. If you have thousands of people crammed together, there's going to be a problem.

With that said, I'll back out of this discussion. My comments weren't intended to aggrevate anybody. I pray that anyone who attends a rally of any sort stays healthy. I just won't go to one right now.

Spyder Garage

Monk all good with me. You in no ways, aggregated anyone in my opinion especially me. My father is 78 and we travelled all over this country this summer. we stayed away from the crowds as well, wore masks etc. you have a very valid point. I was just throwing out that math can be skewed. Everyone enjoy the day, hope that this next hurricane doesn’t hurt Maggie valley area and those that want or can go enjoy yourselves. Keep the reports coming!

Spyder Garage

The park service contractors are pretty quick to fix things in the Smokys. They had 441 back open later that day!
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c