Spyder Garage

Default any trikes with Auto tranny?

I was curious to know if there are other Trikes with full auto trannies besides Spyders..

And also not pay an arm and a leg for it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder doesn't have a fully automated transmission. It's only semi automatic (big difference). The Ryker is fully automatic (CVT). I can't think of any other 3 wheelers that have a fully automatic transmission unless you start talking about Slingshots or a Vanderhall.

Spyder Garage

The SE trans on our Spyders are actually the same MANUAL transmissions the SM's have, only with some sexy & very fast computer/electronic shift controls & an oil/hydraulic clutch (SE6) or centrifugal clutch (SE5) In fact, if you look underneath the left hand side of your SE Spyder just inboard of your left foot, you can even see the shift lever shaft still sticking out the side of the box!

So don't ever try to kid yourself that you've got an auto Spyder, and you really shouldn't try to drive it like you would an auto It's still a MANUAL gearbox & if you want to use it to its' best capability, then it needs you to initiate the changes, even if the computers do have a 'save your arse from dropping the revs/speed too low for that gear' downshift function built in!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Well, the Ryker could be a candidate, but, a truly auto trike, set up with the same configuration as a Spyder (two up front/one rear wheel) other than some crazy Chinese knock off 250cc POS, you may be out of luck.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

2018+ Gold Wing DCT with a trike kit?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    2018+ Gold Wing DCT with a trike kit?
    Those DCT's aren't actually autos either; they are Dual Clutch Manual Transmissions with a computer/electronic Rider interface that controls the gear shifting, albeit with a 'simulated auto' shift feel - but it's still a Manual Gearbox, and many if not most of the DCT's out there still have a Manual Shift option as well as the 'simulated auto' interface.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    I was curious to know if there are other Trikes with full auto trannies besides Spyders..

And also not pay an arm and a leg for it.
    The wording in red pretty much disqualifies most all road-legal trikes, except some small displacement trikes and a few scooter conversions.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The "Stallion" has a fully automatic transmission. I am not sure if they are made anymore, but it was an interesting looking vehicle. Has the same drivetrain as the 2000's model ford ranger pickup. 2.3 L 4 cyclinder.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The "Stallion" has a fully automatic transmission. I am not sure if they are made anymore, but it was an interesting looking vehicle. Has the same drivetrain as the 2000's model ford ranger pickup. 2.3 L 4 cyclinder.
    The "Stallion is no longer made, however I think the Boss Hoss Trike has an auto trans with reverse

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The "Stallion is no longer made, however I think the Boss Hoss Trike has an auto trans with reverse
    From the Boss Hoss website: https://bosshoss.com/about/ at the bottom of the page.

The Final Assembly Department is where it all comes together. The factory new General Motors engines and custom built proprietary 2-speed semi-automatic transmissions with reverse for the bikes, or in the case of the trikes a modified and remanufactured 4L70E 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission with reverse are mated together. After the union of the engine and transmission, the U.S. Patented Boss Hoss frame is wrapped around the drivetrain assembly by splitting the two piece designed frame. This allows the Boss Hoss to maintain a compact design, which contributes to the bikes amazing light feel off the stand and nimble cornering characteristics. Each unit is built on our multi-station assembly line that allows experienced assemblers to construct and document every stage of the assembly process. No Boss Hoss is complete without being test run to our quality and performance specs.
    Quite the machines! But then they should be with a price tag in the range of $65,000 to $75,000!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

And, the Slingshot is now available with an automatic..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    From the Boss Hoss website: https://bosshoss.com/about/ at the bottom of the page.

Quite the machines! But then they should be with a price tag in the range of $65,000 to $75,000!
    Wonder how big of a drive way you need to turn that baby around in?? It would spin some heads for sure!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Ok, what I meant was the same type of Semi Auto Tranny that the Spyders have now. Not a full auto.

Spyder Garage

Boom trikes have models with full auto. As they are car engined you can get 'flappy paddle' versions which would be similar to the Spyder. We sometimes get together with the local group on rides, as you can see they are more traditional style trikes:
    DSC_3526 copy.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-25-2021 at 06:28 PM. Reason: care = car?! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Rewaco out of Germany makes a 7 automatic trike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

The new Honda Goldwings have fully automatic plus the paddle switch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    The new Honda Goldwings have fully automatic plus the paddle switch.
    And I have several 2 wheel friends who really like it and one who sold his triked Harley Ultra and boughted a New Goldwing conversion and really likes it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I drove a Vanderhall at D3WR. It was very exciting and a blast to drive. I found it hard to get in and out of and the cockpit was very crowded. At 6'ft 260 lbs I do take up a little extra room.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 Honda Gold Wing DCT. Pulling in a HD clutch with my arthritic hands was becoming impossible so I switched to the GW.

For me the DCT in Auto mode is a mixed bag. I LOVE it in heavy traffic but find it frustrating in the twisties where it tends to upshift in the middle of a bend. Riding in Sport mode helps but most of the time outside the city I use the paddle shifters. Similar to the Spyder the DCT will downshift automatically in even in manual mode if the revs drop.

The main reason I am considering a Spyder is the challenge of slow speed riding and U turns on a 800 pound bike without a clutch. There’s no ability to “ “feather” the throttle response and drag the rear brake in slow speed maneuvers. I am losing confidence which is not a good thing for a 72 year old on a large motorcycle.

I suspect there’s a Spyder RT in my near future......

Spyder Garage

Or....
    you could have your Gold Wing converted to a really nice independent rear suspension (IRS) trike...
    California Side Car, Hannigan, Roadsmith are some good kits to look at...

I sold my 2008 Gold Wing Motor Trike - LOVED IT - but liked the fresh look of the 2021 Spyder RT Ltd.... REALLY liking this little beauty also.

Let us know what you come up with. By all means - whatever it is - keep those knees in the breeze!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Pooch glad you have found a couple of ways to spend my hard earned $$$ for me ��

I would miss the effortless power of the GW but I also really like the Spyder package
    I need more test rides. The first one, as others have said, was really challenging but I’m told you soon get used to the Spyder’s handling.

I’ll report on my progress and decision