Spyder Garage

Default 2019 F3-T Markings on Drive Belt

My wife rides the F3-T has the vibration at highway speeds, does not have a belt tensioner. I will be ordering the Lamonster Belt tensioner assembly and the Krikit II belt tensioner tool

There are markings on the top side of the belt - see photos. These markings may have been left by a stone?? Nothing in the belt covers...something I need to be wary of? the marks are superficial, dont feel them with a finger nail.

Comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT , Lamonster Brake Pedal Riser Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Before you order the tensioner, get the Krikit II and adjust the belt to 140 rear wheel off the floor, 160 on the floor. The factory and shops set the belt too tight. I think, after doing that, you may have little or no belt vibes. Also, there should be a gap between it and the flange the thickness of a credit card.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thanks , have the Kritit on order will definitely check belt tension

Is the 140 the correct spec? have seen as high as 160 being suggested

Craig

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cdavis6 View Post
    Craig
    That is what others on this forum recommended, so I tried it. I get a wee vibration at around 72 mph, but I can ride around that. I do not want to put a tensioner on my bike.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks , have the Kritit on order will definitely check belt tension

Craig
    with ... RICZ ... I ( and lots of others ) measure the tension " wheel on the ground ".... the 160 lb. is equal to the 140 lb. when the wheel is OFF the ground .... Get the tensioner if you feel it's necessary, I don't have one - Why because they break and can TRASH your $350.00+ drive belt. I have little or no vibes. It's a motorcycle not a Rolls Royce. ....JMHO .... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Results can vary as well. I had to take my tension to 180 on the ground to find my sweet spot. I have had my 2015 RT up to 90mph with no vibes. I had a well made tensioner from a vendor that's no longer in business and it lasted 10,000 miles before going bad. I put more than that on in a season so the tensioner didn't get me through a year. No more tensioners for me.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

There are markings on the top side of the belt - see photos. These markings may have been left by a stone?? Nothing in the belt covers...something I need to be wary of? the marks are superficial, dont feel them with a finger nail.....
    If you can't see/find anything that the belt is actively rubbing on as you ryde, then those marks are probably just from road grime, rain, mud spots, whatever, and because they are superficial, can basically be ignored! . You should see what the top side of my RT's belt looks like after I've done a few hundred miles of gravel/dirt/mud/sand; but no matter how dirty it gets afterwards, it hasn't had any issues yet, and it does more gravel/dirt/mud/sand miles each year than most Spyders do in their entire life!!

And before anyone asks - Yes, I do inspect it fairly often (& clean the caked on mud & marks off it! ); No, I haven't ever had any real belt issues; Yes, it is still the Original belt that the Factory put on back in 2013; and NO, I don't have any extra belt guards!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Ride more, worry less!!!! Keep it stupid simple!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Get the tensioner if you feel it's necessary, I don't have one - Why because they break and can TRASH your $350.00+ drive belt. I have little or no vibes. It's a motorcycle not a Rolls Royce. ....JMHO .... good luck ..... Mike
    Wow, I wasn't aware that the tensioner was a problem. I just replaced my belt, with the whole intention of doing so because I wanted to add a tensioner, and my current belt had a stone in it. But if the tensioners are giving problems around the 10k mile mark, then I will do without. I don't have a lot of vibration, but thought it would be worth checking into. Thanks for the information.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Wow, I wasn't aware that the tensioner was a problem. I just replaced my belt, with the whole intention of doing so because I wanted to add a tensioner, and my current belt had a stone in it. But if the tensioners are giving problems around the 10k mile mark, then I will do without. I don't have a lot of vibration, but thought it would be worth checking into. Thanks for the information.
    My issue was at 10,000 miles (I checked it around every 2000) the bearings in the roller were starting to fail. If one of these things lock up the potential for belt damage is high. I chose to experiment with various belt tensions and get rid of the tensioner (dampner actually) I don't care who manufactures these dampners you need to inspect them on a regular basis. These gadgets spin at a high rate of speed in a very hot and dirty environment and eventually the bearings will fail. If you ride a lot of miles in a season I think I would pass on a dampner. If your Spyder is just butt jewelry that you ride 1000 miles a year then probably no issues will occur for a long time.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone!!
    Seems like a lot of different views out there (going by this post as well as other posts)
    I truly do appreciate all comments, seeing as this is my wife's ride that exhibits the vibe, I want to be sure to do it correct so it doesn't leave her on the side of the road.
    I will do this in stages, first the tension check and set (as needed...duly noted on spec 160 on the ground 140 in the air).
    I will post up my findings,
    Thanks everyone,

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I have an idler and replaced the roller with Lamonster's roller. Luv it. No vibes, nice ride.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...ley-lamonster/
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Let me clarify ..... Not ALL tensioners are going to fail .... however I have read on this site, quite a few have ..... I' learned a long time ago " trying to achieve Perfection can be a Big mistake " .... I have very low to no Vibes ..... Another issue ( as to Belt tension ) that I have learned ( here ) is the possibility that BRP's Higher Belt tension specs may be the reason for " drive pulley failure " ( I have no red dust ) ..... I recommend that you lower the belt tension and see what happens..... Lower tension is not going to cause any issues that I have ever heard of ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

For every one that thinks these bike vibrate, I wish I could have taken you for a ride on my dad's 60's ElectroGlide, man that thing was so bad that the foot pegs would tickle my feet to the point you would have to use your heels instead of the arch of your foot, at any speed!! To me if my bike was that way, I would say there is a problem that needs to be looked at, a small vibration at 75 mph, call it your warning light that your flux capacitor is about to kick in and take you to a different time zone!!! Keep it simple!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl