Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Is it illegal to ride with a Windshield Crack in NY..... ??

I just discovered a crack in my F3's 2 year old F4 windshield. It was installed at 2019 Americade by F4 themselves. The crack is coming from a bolt, so I'm guessing that the bolt was torqued too tight. So, I have a few questions:

1. Is it illegal to ride a motorcycle or Spyder with a crack in the windshield in NY State? (I know that it's illegal for a car...)
    2. Does anyone know what F4's warranty is on this? And/or where I can get it replaced, if necessary? (I'm all thumbs regarding things mechanical, so would need to have a shop do this.)

Thanks,
    Bert
    Bert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get with F4 and they are really good to deal with.

Spyder Garage

I looked at the NY DMV website and found this about cars/trucks: "No crack of 11 inches long or longer is allowed if any part of the crack is within the area cleared by the windshield wiper".
    Since you are in Queensbury, I would give a call to Progressive and ask them the question. If it would pass inspection then it's legal to ride. Otherwise you can remove the windshield until you get a replacement from F4 or another provider.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

go to spyderquest in 2 weeks and see if they will replace it. I assume they will be there again this year.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    go to spyderquest in 2 weeks and see if they will replace it. I assume they will be there again this year.
    Good thought, but they're not listed as a vendor at Spyderquest 2021. Not at Americade either....
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Windshields are not a required piece of equipment on any motorcycle (3 wheel or 2), so it is not an issue.

I checked with my DMV as I am a certified NYS driving instructor for cars and bikes.

Bikes of any configuration (in NY) only have a few pieces of required equipment. A left side mirror, brake/tail light, headlight, turn signals and a horn. That's it.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spygoat View Post
    Windshields are not a required piece of equipment on any motorcycle (3 wheel or 2), so it is not an issue.

I checked with my DMV as I am a certified NYS driving instructor for cars and bikes.

Bikes of any configuration (in NY) only have a few pieces of required equipment. A left side mirror, brake/tail light, headlight, turn signals and a horn. That's it.
    Good info to know - Thanks!

FWIW - I e-mailed F4 today about the windshield crack. Waiting to hear back from them.....
    Bert

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spygoat View Post

This may be the case in N.Y. , however in Vermont it wouldn't pass inspection because the Windshield is / was OEM equipment when the bike was built. ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you don’t want the crack to go any further take a small drillbit and put a hole right at the end of the crack. That’ll stop it from going any further. Old aircraft mechanic’s trick.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just an update - F4 came thru with a very fair arrangement for a replacement windshield. Gotta give credit where credit is due!
    Bert